July 17, 2019, 07:50:39 AM

Author Topic: Monthly Writing Competitions?  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Overlord

Monthly Writing Competitions?
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
Who would be interested in a monthly writing competition?

I was thinking that each fortnight or each month I could pick a topic and users could write 500-1000 words, then we could vote on a winner? It could be short story or the start of something bigger.

I think for those looking for motivation it could be fun :)

Might even be able to give out a few prizes ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Arthum

Re: Monthly Writing Competitions?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
A great idea, but I'm not entirely sure I would be able to participate in it :/

Offline kevinjamesbreaux

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
Great idea!  I am always available to write and I love contests. I think this would be a cool tie in too. BUT I think you should announce it maybe two months in advance. Like pick if you picked a topic  tomorrow it would be for March 1st. Then in Feb pick the April topic. Just so we call can get a jump start on it, after current responsibilities.

Kevin James Breaux
Kevin James Breaux
author of SOUL BORN
www.soulborn.net

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »
Who would be interested in a monthly writing competition?

I was thinking that each fortnight or each month I could pick a topic and users could write 500-1000 words, then we could vote on a winner? It could be short story or the start of something bigger.

I think for those looking for motivation it could be fun :)

Might even be able to give out a few prizes ;)

I'll play. However I'm going to suggest a second writing project (not a competition - though they can get pretty competitive), and that's a chain story. Those who want to take part sign up. Someone comes up with a first chapter (either they volunteer, or we flip a coin and loser does it), and those involved write their chapters in order (it has to be in order so that there's no confusion over who goes next). Chain stories are a lot of fun, and a good exercise to your writing talents. Oh, and there has to be some agreement as to minimum chapter lengths, and how long the writer is allowed to take - if someone takes two weeks to write 100 words, well, everyone else may have lost interest.

In fact if you decide to run one, I'll volunteer to do the first chapter.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline Overlord

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:27:47 AM »
Sounds fun, we could do it on the forum.

You could write the first chapter and then the next forum member could add to it. I'd say maximum of 500-1000 words per post? Otherwise you could have someone completely changing the direction of a story, etc and it's a lot to read if we get too many posts.

If you want to give it a go I will make a new section for it :)

Offline Darkfire

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
I think both ideas are great :) I would probably participate in both.

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
Sounds fun, we could do it on the forum.

You could write the first chapter and then the next forum member could add to it. I'd say maximum of 500-1000 words per post? Otherwise you could have someone completely changing the direction of a story, etc and it's a lot to read if we get too many posts.

If you want to give it a go I will make a new section for it :)

A long time ago I used to run a BBS called Through the Looking Glass (use the name for my blog now). We had a chain story that was going gangbusters, until the next person decided he was tired of it. His next entry was something like this.

George pulled a gun out of his pocket, stuck it in his mouth, and pulled the trigger.

The End

A few people thought it was funny, most were really upset, because some had put a lot of effort into it. My personal take is that one of the rules is that if you don't want to do it, you let everyone know, rather than ruining the fun for everyone else.

So what I'd do, is I'd set up two forums. One for the story, and one for discussion. That way if someone has an emergency come up, they can say, 'Hey, I can't do it this week, can someone trade with me' rather than letting things hang.

Which brings up another rule - no nasty comments. We had one jerk, who we blocked. He could use the rest of the BBS, but he couldn't see the chain story, because all he did was make nasty comments about people's writing, their characters, etc.

I wonder how many people are interested? If you are, say so. Don't be shy. Don't worry about being the world's greatest writer. Just join up and have fun.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline Darkfire

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
I think I would really enjoy this chain story. It's a good idea. Of course, it depends on how many people are interested. I guess it can get a bit hectic with loads and loads of people, but maybe might not be so fun with only a few people.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
I think I would really enjoy this chain story. It's a good idea. Of course, it depends on how many people are interested. I guess it can get a bit hectic with loads and loads of people, but maybe might not be so fun with only a few people.

Maybe limit stories to five members but have more than one story going? :)

Offline Darkfire

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »

Maybe limit stories to five members but have more than one story going? :)

Yeah, I think that's a good idea :)

Offline Darkfire

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »
For anyone who's interested, I think we should get one of these chain stories going soon :P

Offline Blodeuedd

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
I like the contest idea :D I would be a part of that
----------------
Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell
http://books-forlife.blogspot.com

Offline ganstream1

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »
interested with the chain stories thing. I'm in

Offline Overlord

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
We need 4-5 members for the chain story in order to keep it going I would say.

Myself is 1,
Ganstream is 2,
Darkfire is 3,

So if we can get 1/2 more people I'm happy to set it up ;)

Offline OneChapterMore

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Sounds fun to me (both the chain and the contest!)
Blog: Onechaptermore
@onechaptermore

I ramble with Lor and The Idlewilder at Rambling Through Genre

"I have within me all the dreams of the world"
- Fernando Pessoa