April 24, 2017, 04:16:31 PM

Author Topic: American Craftsmen: Part 4 (Ch 20 to end)  (Read 249 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
American Craftsmen: Part 4 (Ch 20 to end)
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »
Here is the thread for your thoughts as you finish up AC.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: American Craftsmen: Part 4 (Ch 20 to end)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
Ok, I'm not finished yet, but chapters 20 and 21 blew my mind.

The backstory is just too awesome. The story didn't happen how it was told and it was Madeline who caused the fall of the other Left Hand back then.
And Abram's downfall was also awesome.

Serving him was her plan. Subversive subservience to power came naturally to her. And Abram, like many craftspeople, was fooled most easily by his own power. Such was the insidious way of the Left Hand.

He sat out the Civil War, claiming age and infirmity, though he was actually afraid of dying before perfecting his new skill.
Madeline roamed the battlefields, sometimes disguised as a male soldier, sometimes as a nurse, always a wolf in the butcher shop.

I also now understand Sphinx behavior a little more, since that part of the Pentagon was impenetrable even to her.

Then, a year ago, Roderick cackled with glee and prophesized their doom at the hands of a Morton. This forced them to act. To be certain, they must hunt down the last of the Morton blood.

As amusing as it could look to Roderick fool Madeline and Abram with this, I just hope this isn't the case of another self-fulfilling prophecy...

The legality of domestic craft spying at the CIA and C-CRT was dubious, but nobody on the right or left trusted the FBI with craft - a legacy of Hoover.

Something like Hoover versus Capone. With magic. Now that would be interesting.

Anyway, I wish this major revelation and backstory got in a bit earlier, as I believe now that was what cause a little struggle back then in some parts, probably the lack of some major active antagonist and their motives. Or maybe I'm just too used to traditional fantasy when things are a little more open, and in the case of military, modern no less, I guess the secrecy is very accurate, but still... now I wish to see more of them and apparently there's only two or three more chapters.

These three doing all those things back then, before and during the Civil War, in WWII, and the magic actually being shown in those History-changing moments and etc. That story sounds actually more impressive.

Of course, this is just my dark and twisted mind actually wanting Roderick-Madeline-Abram as the main characters  ::)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 07:48:01 AM by Lanko »
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: American Craftsmen: Part 4 (Ch 20 to end)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:28 AM »
Finished this.

I liked it, it was a different combination of very different elements. Some pretty good, others not so. I still feel Scherie was too plot convenient.

And the military aspect of the story seemed to fade at some point. Specially when you remember the opening chapters. There were swords, staves, martial and magic, but I wished to see more military guns (real guns held by real people), tactics and technologies along. 

But the villains turned out to be pretty good, just wished they had appeared sooner. And the epilogue was pretty awesome too and hints at bigger stuff.
And the House being back was obviously great.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Tags: