The Witches Bottle - Crystallynnfairy
3 (6.5%)
Wrong Turn - The Gem Cutter
0 (0%)
Fey Intervention - NightWrite
1 (2.2%)
TIM TRIPPER, LOST IN TIME! - Jmack
4 (8.7%)
Time Travelling Rule 67: Never forget the Colon. (Side Note: Fire = Bad) - Rukaio_Alter
4 (8.7%)
Long Live the King - m3mnoch
4 (8.7%)
Pride and Prejudice - Lanko
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 01, 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread  (Read 33377 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
@Nora because it was brilliantly well written - stretching the envelope of the theme somewhat - but a beautiful poignant story and also - in retrospect - had echoes of what little I know of the film passengers.

How funny you'd say that! I hadn't a clue what the film would be about at that stage, I didn't even think about it, I had no plans of watching it, but I since heard some of the plot talked about on the forum, and upon re-reading my story today, I found myself thinking, at the end when he writes that he struggles with the idea of waking her up, that it seemed to be a similar theme. But I haven't even seen passenger yet, so now I'm kinda curious (prolly will see it online). 

@Crystallynnfairy if you look at the poll, your votes are the lines in bold. If nothing appears in bold, it means you didn't vote! :D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 05:53:50 AM »
Ah, I missed the announcement. Congrats, Lordoftheword! \m/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
Congrats, @Lordoftheword!
I voted for you, @LightRunner (yay physics!) and @Jmack.

I usually vote for Rukaio, I really like your style, but this time when it came to deciding, I had to let you go, hehe

And Nora, funny you should say this:
I expected the lack of a)time travel and b)1750s, to hamper voting a lot more.
It was one of the reasons I didn't vote for you, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
Congratulations Lord.

Voted for Time's Arrow for emotional quality and thematic minimalism, and The Witches Bottle for entertainment.

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
@Nora Thanks! Confirmation: A vote for each of the top three.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
congratulations, @Lordoftheword!  i voted for yours, too!!

i loved the history-replacement twist, mostly because i didn't see it coming.  i thought it was going to be a sad martyr-sacrifice ending of some sort.  the "no, no.  this was my plan all along!" surprise slay'd -- that was great!

i also voted for:
@Rukaio_Alter -- loved that in media res opening.  and the callback to the fire actually being the permanent problem.  and the 17:50 to 1750 thing?  man, why didn't i think of that?!

@tebakutis -- the brain-knotting concept of time police was probably my favorite trope of the batch.  (tho, honestly the @LightRunner's low-probability-event-protector guy was pretty awesome too.)

honorable mentions that i waffled about with votes:
@Crystallynnfairy -- that salt ring moment was badass.  i went, "WTF?!?" and re-read it a couple times.  so good.

@Jmack -- from the interesting as well as surprising time-echo-duplication thing to the cleverly funny moment where tripper trips to kick off the inciting incident, i think your story was way better than how it seems like you felt about it.

all five of you guys were on my top tier this time, so i had to comb through for minor quibbles in the stories' executions to sort them and make the cuts.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
Congratulations, @Lordoftheword. I voted for you, because I thought the story had good pacing and characterization, and I really wanted to know what would happen.

I also voted for @Jmack and @m3mnoch. Both of your submissions were well written and worked really well for me. There were a lot of other close ones, but your two rose to the top.

Also, thank you to everyone who voted for me! It was a month with a lot of great submissions and I am honored to have received so many votes.