The Witches Bottle - Crystallynnfairy
3 (6.5%)
Wrong Turn - The Gem Cutter
0 (0%)
Fey Intervention - NightWrite
1 (2.2%)
TIM TRIPPER, LOST IN TIME! - Jmack
4 (8.7%)
Time Travelling Rule 67: Never forget the Colon. (Side Note: Fire = Bad) - Rukaio_Alter
4 (8.7%)
Long Live the King - m3mnoch
4 (8.7%)
Pride and Prejudice - Lanko
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 01, 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread  (Read 42843 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 12:47:38 AM »
@Nora because it was brilliantly well written - stretching the envelope of the theme somewhat - but a beautiful poignant story and also - in retrospect - had echoes of what little I know of the film passengers.

How funny you'd say that! I hadn't a clue what the film would be about at that stage, I didn't even think about it, I had no plans of watching it, but I since heard some of the plot talked about on the forum, and upon re-reading my story today, I found myself thinking, at the end when he writes that he struggles with the idea of waking her up, that it seemed to be a similar theme. But I haven't even seen passenger yet, so now I'm kinda curious (prolly will see it online). 

@Crystallynnfairy if you look at the poll, your votes are the lines in bold. If nothing appears in bold, it means you didn't vote! :D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 05:53:50 AM »
Ah, I missed the announcement. Congrats, Lordoftheword! \m/

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
Congrats, @Lordoftheword!
I voted for you, @LightRunner (yay physics!) and @Jmack.

I usually vote for Rukaio, I really like your style, but this time when it came to deciding, I had to let you go, hehe

And Nora, funny you should say this:
I expected the lack of a)time travel and b)1750s, to hamper voting a lot more.
It was one of the reasons I didn't vote for you, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
Congratulations Lord.

Voted for Time's Arrow for emotional quality and thematic minimalism, and The Witches Bottle for entertainment.

The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
@Nora Thanks! Confirmation: A vote for each of the top three.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
congratulations, @Lordoftheword!  i voted for yours, too!!

i loved the history-replacement twist, mostly because i didn't see it coming.  i thought it was going to be a sad martyr-sacrifice ending of some sort.  the "no, no.  this was my plan all along!" surprise slay'd -- that was great!

i also voted for:
@Rukaio_Alter -- loved that in media res opening.  and the callback to the fire actually being the permanent problem.  and the 17:50 to 1750 thing?  man, why didn't i think of that?!

@tebakutis -- the brain-knotting concept of time police was probably my favorite trope of the batch.  (tho, honestly the @LightRunner's low-probability-event-protector guy was pretty awesome too.)

honorable mentions that i waffled about with votes:
@Crystallynnfairy -- that salt ring moment was badass.  i went, "WTF?!?" and re-read it a couple times.  so good.

@Jmack -- from the interesting as well as surprising time-echo-duplication thing to the cleverly funny moment where tripper trips to kick off the inciting incident, i think your story was way better than how it seems like you felt about it.

all five of you guys were on my top tier this time, so i had to comb through for minor quibbles in the stories' executions to sort them and make the cuts.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »
Congratulations, @Lordoftheword. I voted for you, because I thought the story had good pacing and characterization, and I really wanted to know what would happen.

I also voted for @Jmack and @m3mnoch. Both of your submissions were well written and worked really well for me. There were a lot of other close ones, but your two rose to the top.

Also, thank you to everyone who voted for me! It was a month with a lot of great submissions and I am honored to have received so many votes.