The Witches Bottle - Crystallynnfairy
3 (6.5%)
Wrong Turn - The Gem Cutter
0 (0%)
Fey Intervention - NightWrite
1 (2.2%)
TIM TRIPPER, LOST IN TIME! - Jmack
4 (8.7%)
Time Travelling Rule 67: Never forget the Colon. (Side Note: Fire = Bad) - Rukaio_Alter
4 (8.7%)
Long Live the King - m3mnoch
4 (8.7%)
Pride and Prejudice - Lanko
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 01, 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread  (Read 32253 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 09:54:54 AM »
21:29 , a funny time for voting to end. I really want to know who voted for who now.

It would have been funnier if it ended at 17:50  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
30min left to vote!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
Ooh one vote in it!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
OMG, how close a shave is that, @Lordoftheword ?? Congratulations on your win!
And big thanks to everyone for granting me the second spot on podium. I've heard some compliments on that story, but I expected the lack of a)time travel and b)1750s, to hamper voting a lot more.

It was a really, really tough time voting, and I'll gladly spend time in the critic thread dolling compliments (and critics), but my final three votes went to @Lanko, @LightRunner and @Rukaio_Alter.

Good job everyone, I think mostly you all did works that were better than I expected the theme to create, as I'm not a fan of time travelling in general!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
My vote went to @Rukaio_Alter , @LightRunner and finally I went for @tebakutis for my favourite story

Congrats @Lordoftheword
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:45:55 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »
I'm so so sorry I read closing time for votes as 2 january and thought I had all day today to read and vote because visitors until last night. So sorry have never missed before. Well I will still read and tell you my votes privately. This has been rather a very busy month .
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
0 votes. The only way is up.  8)

And congratulation @Lordoftheword
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
0 votes. The only way is up.  8)

And congratulation @Lordoftheword

Damn it I've got Yazz in my head now.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
I'm so so sorry I read closing time for votes as 2 january and thought I had all day today to read and vote because visitors until last night. So sorry have never missed before. Well I will still read and tell you my votes privately. This has been rather a very busy month .

Well, December is the one hectic month for everyone, so hardly anything to hold against you Lady_Ty. And I for one know that you've got more incentive to be out and about given that your christmas comes with blissful temperatures and bright blue skies... Not computer-time weather, besides all the excitement.

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:34 PM »
Oh wow, thanks for your vote everyone! To be completely honest, this comes as a big surprise! I felt there were several very deserving stories/poems this month, and I wasn't sure I was among them. But I'm very happy that some of you felt so  :)

I personally voted for @Crystallynnfairy and The Witches Bottle  as well as @m3mnoch and his amazing poetry. I honestly don't even like poetry, but his struck a strange and peculiar cord with me and had to get my vote.
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
Congratulations, @Lordoftheword ! Another very solid entry! I voted for Youthful Optimism (yours), Time's Arrow, by @Nora and The Witches Bottle by @Crystallynnfairy .

Lord and Nora's stories were miles ahead of everyone else in votes received!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:25:06 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »
Congrats to everyone!
I voted for @Lordoftheword, @Nora, and @LightRunner.
Oh, quel surprise! I got the trifecta.  ;) 8)

I liked lordoftheword's story best. A deserving win.
But as Nora knows, I think her story has the best set of sentences I've read in 24 months of these stories.
I picture the glass sea of Paris contracting, liquefying itself in a mass of living people, monuments and pastry shops, the missile collecting its fragments and taking flight, propelled only by the inexorability of time.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind.
I just loved this.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:47 PM »
Congrats to everyone!
I voted for @Lordoftheword, @Nora, and @LightRunner.
Oh, quel surprise! I got the trifecta.  ;) 8)

I liked lordoftheword's story best. A deserving win.
But as Nora knows, I think her story has the best set of sentences I've read in 24 months of these stories.
I picture the glass sea of Paris contracting, liquefying itself in a mass of living people, monuments and pastry shops, the missile collecting its fragments and taking flight, propelled only by the inexorability of time.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind.
I just loved this.

Thank you so much! I have to admit, this story came bubbling out, and I didn't strain on it much, I had it posted by day 2, though I edited it in the following days, I didn't change that paragraph. Though I was – and still am – pleased with it, it was one of those instances I think we all experience, where the writing flows through you more as if you were a catalyst than a creator. It felt like this had been brewing somewhere on a cloud above my head, and distilled itself without much help of my own.
So I feel the compliment as being deeper, but also less deserved. Very pleased regardless, as having such an effect on reader is exactly what I set out to do on the day I decided to start writing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:33:48 PM by Nora »

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »

My memory is off and I can not remember exactly how I voted.  :-[ I think it was one for each of the top three.
 Congratulations @Lordoftheword

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 12:37:36 AM »
My three votes went to

@Lordoftheword  because I thought the story fitted the theme/brief with exquisite precision, but also humour.

@Nora because it was brilliantly well written - stretching the envelope of the theme somewhat - but a beautiful poignant story and also - in retrospect - had echoes of what little I know of the film passengers.

@m3mnoch because I have never dared to do poetry myself and I liked the harsh rhythm that it sounded out in my head.

There many other great and humorous entries in what turned out to be a surprisingly challenging theme (one that I ducked out of idea-less) so congratulations to everyone who managed to come up with a story.