October 21, 2020, 11:35:15 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 96848 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2016, 02:54:05 AM »
Mi know where I'm going, mostly. But the Big Idea at the end hasn't come quite into focus. Sort of liking knowing the phylum and genus, but not the exact species yet.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2016, 02:57:01 AM »
I managed 500 words in the first week and 0 in the second. I think my pattern will simply repeat itself once more...
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2016, 03:07:14 AM »
I'm having trouble coming up with an idea that is "short story sized". Most of the concepts I come up with are too big in scope between being transported to 1750, being unable to go back to today, and deciding how to move forward. Even if you choose just one of those three segments to focus on, it seems hard to reach closure by the end.

Though...now that I've written this out...maybe there's an idea there...

Thats the thing with short stories, you can't describe everything, so it is generally recommended to start right in the middle of the action. Fill us in on what we need to know.

Your first line can be :

"There is no going back for us!" He shook sobbing Marta by the shoulders as he yelled the terrible, ugly truth, "the machine is broken, this is us, this is our now! 1750. Isn't what you wanted?"

Boom. You're already there, established stuff, installed conflict...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:49 AM »
I'm having trouble coming up with an idea that is "short story sized". Most of the concepts I come up with are too big in scope between being transported to 1750, being unable to go back to today, and deciding how to move forward. Even if you choose just one of those three segments to focus on, it seems hard to reach closure by the end.

Though...now that I've written this out...maybe there's an idea there...

Thats the thing with short stories, you can't describe everything, so it is generally recommended to start right in the middle of the action. Fill us in on what we need to know.

Your first line can be :

"There is no going back for us!" He shook sobbing Marta by the shoulders as he yelled the terrible, ugly truth, "the machine is broken, this is us, this is our now! 1750. Isn't what you wanted?"

Boom. You're already there, established stuff, installed conflict...

Thanks - I'm definitely still learning a lot about the short story. I haven't spent nearly as much time reading short fiction as I have reading novels and they are very different. Action is also difficult for me - I tend to come up with  internal conflicts much more easily than situational ones and so with this prompt I could easily think of characters wanting to solve grand challenges (introduce new technologies, campaign for social rights, etc), but the plots associated with those kinds of problems are too big in scope for something this short.

Sometimes when you get an idea in your head it's hard to come up with something related, yet completely different. That's where I was getting stuck, but I'm working my way through it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »
Funnily enough, today's article repeat on the main F-F site:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/ten-tips-for-short-story-writing
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
I'm having a flat-line in the story department, 14 days in and only 50 some words to show for it. While I have an idea I can't seem to get past the first three sentences.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
I'm having a flat-line in the story department, 14 days in and only 50 some words to show for it. While I have an idea I can't seem to get past the first three sentences.

Does your idea include an ending, or is it an idea bubble that needs discovery writing? Start with the ending and work backward. See if that sparks motions.

I still have my idea, which has become pretty detailed, but I haven't actually sat down to write anything out. I think it will be safe to say i'll be taking advantage of the extra word allowance for this topic.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
I know how it begins and ends, but what happens in the middle is eluding me.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »
I know how it begins and ends, but what happens in the middle is eluding me.

Write the ending, then the beginning. Look at where the two intersect and see what needs to be done. Might not even have to do a middle analysis once you start getting things down. Even if it goes in the wrong direction, it will help to get some words out, which you can always delete and try again.

EDIT: I've been in discovery mode recently, even though I have an idea for my own, once I start writing it will probably take a left turn through the weeds, across a pond full of gators, then back onto the road going west instead of east.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 03:18:02 PM by night_wrtr »

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
You know what happens to western characters who go into the west instead of the east?
That's right, they die.

Welcome to the Dark Side!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »
m3m, just write that poem to get it out of your system.
And yes, m3m agree with Nora here, you probably need to do just that.

/sigh

okay.  i'm writing it.  but, i am going to fully blame you guys for me inflicting the horror that is my poetry on everyone.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2016, 06:02:11 PM »

/sigh

okay.  i'm writing it.  but, i am going to fully blame you guys for me inflicting the horror that is my poetry on everyone.
I don't think they meant submit it as your story, just write it for yourself, so that you stop thinking about it ;D

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2016, 06:06:27 PM »

/sigh

I don't think they meant submit it as your story, just write it for yourself, so that you stop thinking about it ;D

Or totally submit it as a story  ;D

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2016, 07:08:23 PM »
oh, no -- if i have to put up with reading my terrible poetry, y'all do too!

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »
oh, no -- if i have to put up with reading my terrible poetry, y'all do too!
>:(
 ;D