September 21, 2020, 10:05:13 AM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 95232 times)

Offline Captain of the Guard

Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
Using another calendar feels like "cheating" .
If you are in the year 1750 and in another calendar it is called the year 523, it's okay in my opinion. You could always add a visitor from England or Portugal to your story to have one person with the "right" calendar in it, if it bothers you to much.
But what about using 1750 from a different calendar? So like 1750 in the Hebrew calendar, which would be 2000 BCE in our calendar? Think that's what the good Captain's talking about.  :o

Exactly Raptori !
 I have found some very promising calendars, that would put more in my " comfort zone" but that is not what these writing competions are about, right ?
 nah, I'll just work the angles a bit longer this time =)
The man walked with a limp, it defined him and his appearance, the rest of him was unremarkable .
  -The Realm  by George Dover

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2016, 02:55:12 AM »
I'm 500 words in!

I'm confident I will have it up before the final week  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2016, 03:45:32 AM »
I'm stalled. I saw Nora's submission and was so flummoxed, flabbergasted, and kerfuffled by it that I didn't even realize it was fricking present tense. I think it may be my favorite story in more than a decade. This is ME, the card-carrying member and chief executive of the Present Tense Hater's Club ... so I'm sitting in an ocean of wrong, with 250 words that can only be described as nowhere near as good, waiting for a wind of right to sweep into my sails.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
Aww!! I'm sorry that your very heartfelt appreciation makes you stall like that. Sadly I've had that feeling before, of other people's ideas dimming mine or altering it, so as a rule I simply never read other people's work before submitting mine.
Ignore my story entirely. it doesn't even fit the theme well, I'm gonna get buried by cool DeLoreans and steampunk time machines. Make your own thing with pride! Also, hoping to cheer you up :

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
Found an angle, let's hope I can pull it off  :)
The man walked with a limp, it defined him and his appearance, the rest of him was unremarkable .

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »
I'm stalled. I saw Nora's submission and was so flummoxed, flabbergasted, and kerfuffled by it that I didn't even realize it was fricking present tense. I think it may be my favorite story in more than a decade. This is ME, the card-carrying member and chief executive of the Present Tense Hater's Club ... so I'm sitting in an ocean of wrong, with 250 words that can only be described as nowhere near as good, waiting for a wind of right to sweep into my sails.

that is EXACTLY why i don't read any of the stories before i write mine.  it blows up my brain.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »

that is EXACTLY why i don't read any of the stories before i write mine.  it blows up my brain.

I don't even start reading until the second week of the next contest at least  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:41 PM »
Not to worry Nora, I'm not that egotistical really. I would rather be outshined by the shiny than be the best of a lusterless row of trinkets in a gift shop shelf. I got wrapped up in my WIP. For me, writing has been like sailing in high wind, for those who know the joy and terror of taking a boat as far over as it can without capsizing. That's my analogy for today.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »
900 hundred words in, it has been a struggle and I'm still not sure
about the story!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »
Almost 2 weeks in and only 2 submissions? Where is everyone?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2016, 01:15:04 AM »

personally, i'm having issues coming up with an interesting twist.  i've had several boring stories pop into my head, but nothing interesting at all.  the constraints related to the topic make it really difficult to come up with some kind of surprise.

well, other than a brutally dark poem that's probably not a good idea to write.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:15 AM »
My laziness skills are unbeatable right now.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2016, 01:44:33 AM »
My laziness skills are unbeatable right now.

m3m, just write that poem to get it out of your system.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2016, 05:29:41 AM »

Probably a lot of emotional exhaustion around some of our regulars and also others are all still trying to guess Who's Who in Corpses. That guessing can get obsessive, changed my mid so often I'm now completely confused. Only put it in the table once though.

1750 seemed  could offer plenty of choice, but although I thought I'd try each starter fizzles out, so far.

m3m, just write that poem to get it out of your system.
And yes, m3m agree with Nora here, you probably need to do just that.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2016, 02:45:31 AM »
I'm having trouble coming up with an idea that is "short story sized". Most of the concepts I come up with are too big in scope between being transported to 1750, being unable to go back to today, and deciding how to move forward. Even if you choose just one of those three segments to focus on, it seems hard to reach closure by the end.

Though...now that I've written this out...maybe there's an idea there...