October 14, 2019, 11:54:25 AM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 67228 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:30 PM »

Time Traveler by Jezzy-Art, who does book covers too if you need one and like her art. :)

You or someone from our time is transported back to the year 1750 (start of the industrial revolution) with everything you/they know. There's no going back. What is your/their plan (for world domination)? What can or will go wrong?

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The main character must travel back from our time to the year 1750 (no return).
3. Prose must be 500-1750 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

Entry will close November 30th/December 1st, 2016 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:28:02 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:46:14 PM »
When I first saw the title, I swear, for a second I thought "Wow, this month, we're going to get 1750 words for our short stories instead of 1500!"

:0

Offline Osahon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »
So, does this mean our story can take place anywhere in the world as long as it's 1750?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »
So, does this mean our story can take place anywhere in the world as long as it's 1750?
Yes, but it must be fantasy ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Osahon

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
Yes, but it must be fantasy ;)
So the way they go back in time should be fantastical but the story should take place in the real world?
Like Outlander?

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 07:15:54 PM »
Actually, I kept the description short on purpose to give you more leeway.
You are free to choose someone from our time and free to choose a place. Only the year is set.

The fact that somebody goes back in time is enough to qualify it as fantasy (yes, like outlander), the rest is in your hands.
I do think adding some kind of magic ruins the theme, though.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Mmmh... Is the world dominion thing compulsory?  :'(
I find that a lot less interesting. It forces to assume that our character wants to dominate the world, and a forced setting, forced plot key point and forced character trait makes things a bit constraining and standard.
None of the characters I can think up would be the type to wish for world dominion. I favor underdogs and people with miserable lives, not world conquerors... It also keeps us from making the jump in time from happening at the ending part of the story.
I know, I like to complain and usually tend to like the topics in the end, but this is a heartfelt question.... Can it be "anyone" in 1750?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 07:21:10 PM »
So that would include someone in 1750 using magic to drag someone through time to help them with some task?

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
@Nora: You're good. Did you see the parentheses around the world domination? And the part where it didn't show up in the actual rules? :)

@NightWrite: Nope, it would not. Interesting prospect to have the travel initiated by somebody from back then. Didn't think about this at all!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
So that would include someone in 1750 using magic to drag someone through time to help them with some task?

I thought of that in my shower. I thought the best angle would be steam-punk however. Like some scientists not realising how good their maths was and actually opening a time portal.

@xiagan : nope, sorry, I read this on my phone in the shower (seconds before turning the tap on!) so I took it all literally.
I feel happily freed now, and might revisit an old character of mine who had nothing but her grief at the time, and might get a story entirely now... Maybe, it need stewing.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dVElW3chk[/youtube]
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
Pride and Prejudice

"Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are sent back in time in order to save the present.

Living as peasants instead of lords, their (lack of) abilities only allows them to pass the days on minimum subsistence levels. Donald is forced to begrudgingly work the fields among the slaves and the poor while Hillary works as a barmaid in a local tavern.

Decided to survive, they form an alliance. Donald soon stirs up the anger and resentment of the workers and Hillary uses her machiavellian skills on the local barons and counts to start a revolution that will bring them back to the good life they were so used to.

As America's Independence approaches, they are also decided to change the course of History with their own views, and in the midst of the war, realize that opposites indeed attract and they were made for each other."
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »
Please, stop.

I'm not sure if I want to read this a lot, or break your fingers before you can make it happen, I'm very confused.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

Even alchemy?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »
Dear Powers of Infinite Authoritay, would you please consider expanding the limit of 1500 words for the November contest to 1750, for both symbolic and practical reasons?

We have the additional burdens of integrating a time-travel sequence and communicating our plans for world domination, and 250 words of additional space ought to be enough to allow us to both overcome these issues and present a short tale.

If my voice sounds tinny, it's because I have not yet worked the bugs out of my chrono-ansible, and its brass composition makes for unpleasant reverb. Please consider my request so that I can accomplish the tasks for which I was sent back in time. Otherwise, I will have to abandon our plans and seek out your ancestors. Don't worry, I won't harm them. But I might introduce a genetic mutation or two.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell