October 21, 2020, 11:01:27 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 96840 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
I didn't.
Thanks for the warning (was it really bad? if you summarise in words it has lower effect hehe)

It's a horrible CGI dog alien whose head splits in half and there are teeth and stuff inside, like The Thing. Bad CGI though, so it's ok  ;)

Edit : @Lanko, How many words in??

Come on, let's have you publish in the third week at the latest this month.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:41:21 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
Not sure I can make the story come together, but I do have a really good title.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2016, 08:57:59 PM »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
i have nothing but boring story ideas so far.

pretty sure nobody wants to read about a bromance with benjamin franklin.

lame.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
I wouldn't worry about Mr. Franklin - he won't be available. I've got him embroiled in a scheme in 1750 already.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »
Depends who you try to ship Franklin with. They better be easier on the eyes though cause Ben wasn't a top model.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Captain of the Guard

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Nice subject, but as I read it a pure time travel story? Though I guess one could travel to some seedy
tavern to find some secret society or some destitute alchemist.
The man walked with a limp, it defined him and his appearance, the rest of him was unremarkable .
  -The Realm  by George Dover

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2016, 12:40:47 AM »
Depends who you try to ship Franklin with. They better be easier on the eyes though cause Ben wasn't a top model.
He may have been better looking before he got old and fat, although he was in his mid 40's by 1750. He seemed to have a bit of a reputation for playing the field.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2016, 01:11:55 AM »
He may have been better looking before he got old and fat, although he was in his mid 40's by 1750. He seemed to have a bit of a reputation for playing the field.

so, what are you trying to say about guys in their mid-forties?  huh?  huh?  i see how you are . . .

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
The idea just hit me, and I'm deep in it. Damn it, sometimes I wish I could order up something to exact specifications rather than having to take what the back brain provide. But you can't ignore it. The back brain giveth and the back brain taketh away.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »

so, what are you trying to say about guys in their mid-forties?  huh?  huh?  i see how you are . . .

I had an irish/kiwi lover who was 47, when I was 24. He was called Bobby (ha...ha...ha...) and I couldn't get the man out of my head for the longest time. So nah, nothing against mid-fourties men, but come ON, I'm not shipping him with anything.

@Jmack are you seriously complaining about the magic happening in the tinkering op-shop that is the back of our brains? It's like alchemy labs down there. Brain ideas, best ideas. Don't wish for "order to specifications" stuff. You sound like a vegan german engineer (I hope no one gets offended by that joke)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 02:24:27 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty happy with the back brain's contribution. I needed a good laugh.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Captain of the Guard

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
 I have to say that this months subject is hard. I'm trying to find an angle I can start from
but it eludes me still. Using another calendar feels like "cheating" .
The man walked with a limp, it defined him and his appearance, the rest of him was unremarkable .
  -The Realm  by George Dover

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »
Using another calendar feels like "cheating" .
If you are in the year 1750 and in another calendar it is called the year 523, it's okay in my opinion. You could always add a visitor from England or Portugal to your story to have one person with the "right" calendar in it, if it bothers you to much.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »
Using another calendar feels like "cheating" .
If you are in the year 1750 and in another calendar it is called the year 523, it's okay in my opinion. You could always add a visitor from England or Portugal to your story to have one person with the "right" calendar in it, if it bothers you to much.
But what about using 1750 from a different calendar? So like 1750 in the Hebrew calendar, which would be 2000 BCE in our calendar? Think that's what the good Captain's talking about.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.