October 15, 2019, 10:01:11 AM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 67366 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
I do think adding some kind of magic ruins the theme, though.
Even alchemy?
Note that xia's opinion is not mine. I will favour more fantasy-related stories/elements in my voting ;)
(similar to my comment on Pirates, that m3m didn't really get)

Edit: speaking as a plain member, not as moderator of the contest
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:51:26 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 10:45:15 PM »
Time to dust off the DeLorean.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »
I already have a couple of characters and a vague idea of the plot. It'll be full of depressive dialogue, no traditional fictional time travel, and it will probably get more likes than votes and I don't care, I'm enjoying my premise a lot.  ;D

Edit : I actually plan on trying to get some humour inside that one. And grief as well. Intense, burning marital love is also on the menu.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:08:17 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 11:06:53 PM »
I want to second the vote for 1750 words, but purely because it's so darn fitting!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Osahon

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »
I'm mostly doing research right now because I don't want my story to have a traditional setting.

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 11:36:30 PM »
Wow, 1759 is my absolute favourite year - and my early writing were poor attempts at Nelsonic Naval novels of near that time.

I guess the theme is essentially time travel and the power to use knowledge from the future.

But then how much knowledge do we really hold in our tiny heads, when mostly these days it's a matter of google it on your smart phone and I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be much of a 3G network back then, and finding a charging port or a wireless hotspot would be difficult. 

Hmm - very interesting.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »
580 words in, typed in my phone instead of sleeping, talk about inspiration hitting like a high speed train.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 02:53:12 AM »
I'm mostly doing research right now because I don't want my story to have a traditional setting.

This will be my mode of attack for now too.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 05:05:54 AM »
Pride and Prejudice

"Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are sent back in time in order to save the present.

Living as peasants instead of lords, their (lack of) abilities only allows them to pass the days on minimum subsistence levels. Donald is forced to begrudgingly work the fields among the slaves and the poor while Hillary works as a barmaid in a local tavern.

Decided to survive, they form an alliance. Donald soon stirs up the anger and resentment of the workers and Hillary uses her machiavellian skills on the local barons and counts to start a revolution that will bring them back to the good life they were so used to.

As America's Independence approaches, they are also decided to change the course of History with their own views, and in the midst of the war, realize that opposites indeed attract and they were made for each other."

Don't listen to Nora. I NEED to read this!!!!!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »
Please, stop.

I'm not sure if I want to read this a lot, or break your fingers before you can make it happen, I'm very confused.

And so now we know just how dark is too dark for Nora - Trump & Hillary
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
I want to second the vote for 1750 words, but purely because it's so darn fitting!
I'm tempted to say yes this time, mostly for the fitting.
@xiagan, what do you think? An early Christmas present?

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
I'm tempted to say yes this time, mostly for the fitting.
@xiagan, what do you think? An early Christmas present?

Any final thoughts on that @xiagan ? I'm 1000 words in and wouldn't want to make a healthy story with too many words!  :P

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
I have to admit that it fits really well indeed.
You don't have to write the time travel scene, though, so that is not a reason, @GC. ;)

I'm okay with it but you have to realize that with 18 stories that means 4500 words (three normal stories) more everybody has to read.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »
Can some gentle souls, happy enough that we let some people write 1750 words, nevertheless write shorter stories? ;D
Much appreciated!

(already the Corpses month has messed up with my reading scheme: not good enough to start reading only halfway through the month, not with 22 stories :o )

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
Awesome thanks, it'll leave me more room to mess with people's heads. Or try to. Ya know. *struggles to smother impostor syndrome feelings*