October 27, 2020, 12:20:21 PM

Author Topic: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread  (Read 97195 times)

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
Re: [NOV 2016] - 1750 - Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
That might be the problem, I have a beginning, but no real ending in mind for once.

oh, no -- if i have to put up with reading my terrible poetry, y'all do too!
Memo to self, don't read m3m's entry this month ;). But in all seriousness there could be worse stuff out there, so don't sell your poem short before you even write it.

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2016, 12:15:49 AM »
I'm stalled. I saw Nora's submission and was so flummoxed, flabbergasted, and kerfuffled by it that I didn't even realize it was fricking present tense. I think it may be my favorite story in more than a decade. This is ME, the card-carrying member and chief executive of the Present Tense Hater's Club ... so I'm sitting in an ocean of wrong, with 250 words that can only be described as nowhere near as good, waiting for a wind of right to sweep into my sails.

Just dug this quote out of a few threads back..

It's funny, because Nora's story actually did the exact opposite for me... As in I loved it, but instead of kerfuffling my brain into mush, it got me pumped up to write my own! And so I did!

2000 words...It may be complete horse doo-doo, but damnit I'm going to have a story this month. I truly didn't like the topic when I saw it the first time, but it's amazing what you can learn to love when you really try.

Sounds like a modern-day love song. Maybe inspiration for your poem @m3mnoch ?

"It's Amazing What (Who?) You Can Learn to Love When You Really Try" by m3mnoch <3

Awwww ::)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Yeah, I was caught up in the moment, and used Nora's excellence as my get out jail free card. Don't get me wrong, I positively loved the story, and it would make a terrific Twilight Zone episode (or if you're old enough to remember The Outer Limits, as they were darker). But 1750 just isn't doing it for me. If I submit anything, it will probably be another suicide-by-poem event.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »
I have literally my entire 1750 story in my head (start, middle, end). Just need to find time to write it down. Been busy being sick.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
I'm really struggling this month. I've got the end/beginning sorted, but everything in between is just a big mushy pile.

On the plus side, I'm learning a lot about the history of the Vatican.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »
I have literally my entire 1750 story in my head (start, middle, end). Just need to find time to write it down. Been busy being sick.

That sucks! Hope you get better soon!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:22 PM »
I figured out the general outline of my story, but I'm not sure how I want to present it.

I did get the idea of portraying the story as an article in a newspaper, to get an idea of how a culture would paint a person misplaced in time. There's uncertainty about the idea, but I figure I'll write it out tonight or this weekend and see how I feel about it.

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »

@NightWrite I like the idea of newspaper story!

1750 and I were not friends for most of the month so far. Then an idea bloomed and now my outline thing is 850 words.  I feel much better with possibly too much than nothing.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »
2,031 words of first draft crap.
Will have to do some serious thinking about how to rescue this awfulness.
I do feel there's a pretty cool idea under this mound of stink.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2016, 02:17:20 AM »
I have tried so hard this month, this morning started again on the third new idea, wrote away with enthusiasm for four hours and now reading through realise it is boring as Hell. :-[
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »
2,031 words of first draft crap.
Will have to do some serious thinking about how to rescue this awfulness.
I do feel there's a pretty cool idea under this mound of stink.

Hahaha yeah... mounds of stink galore over here too. I've re-written this thing five times now, threw up in my mouth thrice, and tried to run my laptop down the sink garburator more times than I can count. 1750 just might kill me.

If I don't post a story this month it means I'm somewhere in Edmonton, Canada expiring in my apartment. If that becomes the case, I humbly ask that someone tracks me down and erases my 1750 story before the police find me.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2016, 03:35:50 AM »
Yeah, this one was uncomfortably hard for me. I had an idea, and normally that's the hard part. I wrote my Corpses story in 3 twenty minute sessions, and spent more time eliminating mistakes than anything else. But this one was just hard. Not sure why. The flame of my idea just went out like 'pooof!'
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2016, 03:49:11 AM »
Maybe alternative history fantasy is just a tough genre to work in?

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2016, 03:53:21 AM »
Maybe alternative history fantasy is just a tough genre to work in?

Who says it has to be alternative? ;)

Finally posted my story after a few days of mind-numbing edits. But I'm happy with the result! Hope a few of you enjoy :)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2016, 05:03:40 AM »
Hope a few of you enjoy :)
I really liked it! Very nice. It's a tight space to maneuver in, but you got us there and brought it to a satisfying close quite smoothly.
The Gem Cutter