December 06, 2019, 12:38:11 PM

Author Topic: [Sep/Oct 2019] - School - Discussion Thread  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep 2019] - School - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 09:33:15 PM »
Yeah... I also wasn't inspired. Had an idea but it had no cinch, no punch. I went down to Paris to do some visa related stuff, and was stressed enough to not have the headspace to write. Now I do have a new idea, with a cinch and all, and short too, but it's bleak as all hell and a mimicry of the topic.  :D
I'm not motivated to write these days. I'll give it a shot regardless.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
School just isn't a theme that excites me.
That only means you need to find a way to approach it that excites you. Give us a new twist to an old theme!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online isos81

• Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »
No submissions? :'(

Damn, I would have won automtically if I had participated :'( ;D
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:34 PM »
One submission. My streak continues. ;D

Once I loosened my interpretation of the theme, I actually had a lot of fun writing this. Some ideas for my next longer work too.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep/Oct 2019] - School - Discussion Thread
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 06:49:47 PM »
Ok I've dropped my sad topic and am now in the process of one-day-inspiration-stricken-writing a more comedic set up in a dwarven mettalurgic university campus, mostly due to me being sick all week and having done a re-watch of all of LoTR, and started an incredible audiobook reading of the Fellowship to put me to sleep too.

Just suddenly fancied writing a weird modern version of a peaceful middle-earth-esk uni campus with non human characters. I hope I get to finish it tonight and maybe polish it over the weekend.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 11:40:15 PM »
Yay Nora!
And I thought a pouf was a normal thing? ;D
Then I thought more, realised that big pouf = bean bag and there are no normal-sized poufs in the UK...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »
Yay! My two last submissions have both been one day affairs, and I was sick before both I think?

And Béa, I'd be dead surprised if IKEA doesn't sell poufs. Also I have a Moroccan shop in my area that sales them, among many other things! I've grown up with them around, they're perfect for children, and are rather popular in France. But yeah, I've not seen one in anyone's house in the UK yet. Not sure about US. Just covering my bases!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 05:03:05 PM »
One week left, could we please have more stories?
Pretty please?

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 08:22:58 AM »
Ok, I'm closing the submissions, I fear that if we were to have more, they'd have been submitted already.
If anyone was just doing the finishing touches and wanted to submit, just let me know, I'll reopen the thread for you :)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 10:58:30 PM »
Ahahaha! Well, It'll be easy to vote at least, but it's gonna be a heart breaking podium!