November 25, 2020, 07:32:30 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2018] - Meetings - Voting Thread  (Read 9291 times)

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
    • The Macpherzone
Re: [Sep 2018] - Meetings - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
Thanks everyone! That's made my day. I'm especially pleased this one did well as I'm thinking of using the characters in the WI in my next novel, so it's good to have an early vote of confidence. Missus will return!

I found it very hard to choose this month - in the end I voted for @Jake Baelish (kept me guessing right to the end) and @Jenny HJ  (I can never resist a story with Ents in it). I particularly enjoyed @ShadowKnight 's story too. The curse of the conference call can't be escaped even here!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 12:46:45 PM by ScarletBea »
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline Alex Hormann

• Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
Congratulations @OnlyOneHighlander

I gave my vote to @Jenny HJ . It was nice to see some classic high fantasy. (I too love me some Ents.)
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
 @OnlyOneHighlander  congratulations!  I enjoyed your story hugely and loved the twist.  I gave my second vote to @Jake Baelish who had me hooked from the start. 

It was a hard decision as I also really liked @Carter's story and @Alex Hormann's story.  You guys are an awesome bunch!  I can't wait to see what other stories everyone comes up with in future and have been looking back over the archives to see all the huge range of topics and ideas.

(Thank you for the Ent love! I just can't fit them into my WIP, and I do love some Ent! Maybe I need a whole another book just to feature them...  Must. Not. Get. Distracted...)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Congrats @OnlyOneHighlander! I'll pop this up on the Twitter feed when I'm home from work.

Offline Slaykomimi

• Builder
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
congrats to @OnlyOneHighlander

when I read it I instantly knew I wil vote for it.

But also congratulations to @Alex Hormann  for his beautyful story, it really started to absorb me and was definetly my favorite among these stories and I hope to read more from you.

I want to also congratulate everyone else and also thank you for the wonderful stories, and also the voters (I can imagine why I got not a single vote).

üAnd now I need to get some inspiration for this months contest.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline ShadowKnight

• Tribute
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
Congratulations @OnlyOneHighlander. I thoroughly enjoyed your work and I'm glad you liked mine.

My second vote went to @Alex Hormann's piece, but I could have easily voted for @Jenny HJ's or @JMack's as well. Fascinating stories all!

One comment for those who didn't have any votes: your ideas were quite good, but I just feel you need some experience. Continue writing, read other short stories and check tips and tricks. We all need to start somewhere :)

Thank you for the encouragement @ScarletBea. Can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed my story didn't get any votes, but I'll keep trying.
If any of you have feedback on what you liked/didn't like in my work or have suggestions as to how I could improve my writing, your help would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:05:37 PM by ShadowKnight »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
Congrats, man! Haven't seen a story that much in the lead in a while! :)

(I can imagine why I got not a single vote).

Maybe it's a good month to restart our critique thread. Especially newer members have a good chance to profit from it. I'll open it now.

@Slaykomimi, I bet you didn't notice that you switched between past and present tense, for example.

One comment for those who didn't have any votes: your ideas were quite good, but I just feel you need some experience. Continue writing, read other short stories and check tips and tricks. We all need to start somewhere :)

Thank you for the encouragement @ScarletBea. Can't hide the fact that I'm disappointed my story didn't get any votes, but I'll keep trying.

We only had two votes. That makes it incredibly likely that not every story gets votes.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 03:23:58 AM »
Congratulations @OnlyOneHighlander that was awesome and funny and got my vote, although shame the W.I. had no time for the mandatory tea and scones. Do non-UK readers understand the significance of the W.I. and their terrifying power? Australians think CWA, but I don't know other national equivalents.

@Jenny HJ my other vote went to you, not just because I'm rather fond of dragons, but yes, Ents rule.  ;D And it was a fascinating story with a great ending.  I do love to read of humans getting the punishment they deserve.

@Carter and @Alex Horman you were both very close for me, but I had to make tough final choices.Thanks for all the stories, good entertainment.

To our new writers, the more you write the better you get, we have seen it happen often over time here. Please keep joining in and good luck. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
Do non-UK readers understand the significance of the W.I. and their terrifying power?
This was one of the reasons I liked the story so much - and FYI, I've been tempted to join at times ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
Congrats @OnlyOneHighlander! I'll pop this up on the Twitter feed when I'm home from work.
By the way @tebakutis, your pinned tweet is still for the June story, could you please change that too? Thanks!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Do non-UK readers understand the significance of the W.I. and their terrifying power?
This was one of the reasons I liked the story so much - and FYI, I've been tempted to join at times ;D
I have no idea about the W.I. as a thing.
Kept trying to figure out if it stood for Witches Inc or Werewolves Inc.
Is it a trade union?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Builder
    • The Macpherzone
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »
Is it a trade union?

They used to hold their meetings in the village hall before my judo classes when I was growing up and were always talked about in mysterious, hushed tones, but the underlying message was they were much more powerful than they appeared and one should tread carefully.

As to what they really are @JMack ... I'm afraid I've never been allowed in one of the meetings so it's still a mystery to me ;-) They do make cracking cakes though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:23:43 PM by OnlyOneHighlander »
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
Is it a trade union?

They used to hold their meetings in the village hall before my judo classes when I was growing up and were always talked about in mysterious, hushed tones, but the underlying message was they were much more powerful than they appeared and one should tread carefully.

As to what they really are @JMack ... I'm afraid I've never been allowed in one of the meetings so it's still a mystery to me ;-) They do make cracking cakes though.
Oh you teaser ;D
@JMack it's the Women's Institute: https://www.thewi.org.uk ;)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 10:06:57 PM »
By the way @tebakutis, your pinned tweet is still for the June story, could you please change that too? Thanks!

Done! I've been bad about keeping up with the F-F contest Twitter, but will try to stay on top of it better. :)

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 01:53:25 AM »
Thanks @JMack @OnlyOneHighlander and @Jenny HJ for your votes (I only got 2 on the poll though, tech issues?  ??? ). Glad my story had the desired effect  :)

My votes went to @OnlyOneHighlander and @Carter

I really loved OOH's. In fact, your style and plots are something I'm really into generally it's turning out. In this case, the women talking of the loss of loved ones due to 'heroes' was a cool concept. I'd also love to see this developed!

Carter's was also interesting. The heroes who have to save the world again and again. Had a darkly comic feel to it which I liked. It had been a toss up between this and Jenny's story for second  :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...