July 18, 2019, 01:50:51 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread  (Read 22942 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
Wow, you obviously don't realise the pure hassle a French wife would be. They're a handful at best, one way or another.  ::)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »
Sounds like you need a wife to help with your stalker paperwork and your laundry. Try clicking on those ads that offer to sell you a Russian one.  :P

Seriously, at least it'll all be over soon, and you'll go back to normal levels of busy.
Or, you know, you could dump everything, sell what you don't need, store the rest away, fly with a bag to Scotland, and come live in my backpacker. You can pick up an easier job in town, relax, meet lots of new people and live without pressure.

This sounded like an ad for a French wife!  ::)

Well, I don't think most women find jock itch attractive.  Or dudes with stalkers. So there's that.

On the subject of not being in a relationship:

So walking a few blocks from my apartment today I passed this:
http://mashable.com/2017/10/01/amber-rose-slutwalk-2017

I didn't realize LA had a Slut Parade, but apparently it's huge.  My fav was a girl that had a shirt that said "I'll grab my own pussy thank you"

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
So, @Bradley Darewood and @Lanko: are you working on your story and I'm waiting, or have you given up and I can close?

I don't mind waiting (reasonably)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
I'm not in.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:32 AM »

It's 1am and I'm still grading.  I have work at 9am tomorrow.  The earliest I'd be able to start writing would be tomorrow after work ends at 8pm.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
Then sorry, but I'm going to close it.
It's not as if you only had a week to think about the story...

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »

Hahaha are you saying I should *regret* my delay?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
hehehe
... and "redeem" yourself on the October contest by being one of the first to submit ;D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
Honestly regret's more my thing-- my ideas just ran long and I didn't have time to pare the one I started down. The whole month was right on time. Maybe I could finish my regret story that's not eligible for the competition and post it in the discussion thread in case anyone wants to read it?

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
Oh that's cool! Come into my work sometime! (Waterstones on Princes Street!) We should get a coffee and a writer/sff conversation. Does your gf write as well?
Further to my pm, @Nora, I'll probably be coming into Waterstones at some point on Saturday.  Work decided to give me some book vouchers (ok, just shopping vouchers but if they're usable in bookshops, where else could I use them?) and they are never going to last long the way I go through books. 

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2017, 10:57:03 PM »
Oh that's cool! Come into my work sometime! (Waterstones on Princes Street!) We should get a coffee and a writer/sff conversation. Does your gf write as well?
Further to my pm, @Nora, I'll probably be coming into Waterstones at some point on Saturday.  Work decided to give me some book vouchers (ok, just shopping vouchers but if they're usable in bookshops, where else could I use them?) and they are never going to last long the way I go through books.

Ha! Answered you before seeing this! Besides what I said on my message, saturday you may see me, but I work until the shop closes. I might be hidden at the back or in my RP room, since my job is to manage RP (Related Products, everything that isn't a book!) and since we're gearing towards christmas I might be busy with it. Feel free to message me (I'll get the mail), or spot the short, brown haired woman with a fresh frog tatoo on her left forearm. I have round black metal rimmed glasses. Also my hair is very short and curly. No one else has hair as short as me on the staff, you can't go wrong with that! :P
Pat me on the back! But let's sit down and have a drink sometime next week if you're keen!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
It appears it's one of those months for me, where I'm fine with my story until the contest locks. Then I reread the story and find I hate most of it. The past few stories I've done I reread them after and while there were things to change, it wasn't to the degree of dislike this one generated inside me. Maybe it's just regret I didn't fit in another revision or two into my schedule.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 04:25:27 PM by NightWrite »

Offline Mikaela A. Ingram

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »
Thanks so much for the votes! I'm so glad people enjoyed my story!