April 10, 2020, 03:19:45 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread  (Read 34744 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 09:31:37 AM »
I, of course, totally support extra time for Bradley.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »
BTW I love how we've created our own expressions: there's the Lanko (submit at the last minute/late), the Eclipse (revive really old threads)... ;D

I think I remember that someone actually created a "lankoise" verb.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
yeah I don't know if I'll be able to get it done in just one day after having not slept all weekend to finish this report...

BTW I love how we've created our own expressions: there's the Lanko (submit at the last minute/late), the Eclipse (revive really old threads)... ;D

Given our beloved Phd's tendency to frustration, despair, and general tiredness of life and career, I propose the term: "feeling Bradley."

Or not  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

I think I remember that someone actually created a "lankoise" verb.

Yes, I remember doing that. The lankoisation of the contest is noticeable with the naked eye, but mostly enabled by the Bea-Kindness factor.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »

Given our beloved Phd's tendency to frustration, despair, and general tiredness of life and career, I propose the term: "feeling Bradley."

You mean, feeling Badley?  ;D

Ok, I'm out  ::)

Hopefully he gets new bosses with Bea-Kindness levels of empathy towards him in the near future.

Ok, now I'm really out.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 09:47:19 PM »
Thanks for the "Bea-kindness" descriptions ;D

Bea-kindness is valid for 2 days, then it diaappear and Bea closes the submission, hehe (=end of Monday).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:19 PM »
Bea must be reading Grimdark lately, the Bea-Kindness level usually extended to 5... no, 7 days  ::)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
I don't think I ever gave that much extra time... have I? ???
You're trying to confuse me now, I think :P
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »

You mean, feeling Badley?  ;D

Ok, I'm out  ::)

Hopefully he gets new bosses with Bea-Kindness levels of empathy towards him in the near future.

Ok, now I'm really out.

HAHAHAHAHA omg I'm pretty sad that the defining characteristic of my personality has become whining about work and being exhausted.

That said it's 1:23am, on Sat night/Sun morning.  My 3-year cumulative end-of-grant report was due to the federal govt Sat but I'm overdue and it's STILL not done (b/c everytime I stepped in the office all week I was given millions of things to do and couldn't even start on the report until it was time to go home), and all the grading for the teaching I did last month is due on Monday. The restraining order papers need to be served to my stalker by Sunday and I can't find anyone to do it. And I have jock itch but no time to do laundry. Soooooo.... errr... COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Damn it, I just had to complain, didn't I.....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:28:22 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »
Sounds like you need a wife to help with your stalker paperwork and your laundry. Try clicking on those ads that offer to sell you a Russian one.  :P

Seriously, at least it'll all be over soon, and you'll go back to normal levels of busy.
Or, you know, you could dump everything, sell what you don't need, store the rest away, fly with a bag to Scotland, and come live in my backpacker. You can pick up an easier job in town, relax, meet lots of new people and live without pressure.

Dropping everything has to remain an option, if only to ease some tension.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
Or, you know, you could dump everything, sell what you don't need, store the rest away, fly with a bag to Scotland, and come live in my backpacker. You can pick up an easier job in town, relax, meet lots of new people and live without pressure.

Dropping everything has to remain an option, if only to ease some tension.
Running the risk of turning this into a weird plug for Edinburgh, is it a little too odd for me to say that, aside from living at Nora's backpacker this is almost exactly what I did four years ago?  To the building in this picture?  (The one on the left not the castle, obviously).  And that this move coincides almost perfectly with my first story entry here on the forum?

If it's not too odd, then I support the suggestion whole-heartedly!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
Wait wait, are you saying you lived on the Grassmarket? In the backpacker there or in a flat? You're not there anymore?
At least I started writing back in Oz. It'd have been weird if we'd both post our first story here from the same area. Super weird.

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 10:57:16 AM »
I lived in one of the flats for just over 3 months.  My girlfriend and I came up for what we expected to be a temporary thing.  Ended up staying longer than expected.  Still in Scotland and not too far from Edinburgh since we both work in the city as temporary seems to have become permanent. 

So you can certainly say your suggestion works!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
Oh that's cool! Come into my work sometime! (Waterstones on Princes Street!) We should get a coffee and a writer/sff conversation. Does your gf write as well?

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »
Sounds like you need a wife to help with your stalker paperwork and your laundry. Try clicking on those ads that offer to sell you a Russian one.  :P

Seriously, at least it'll all be over soon, and you'll go back to normal levels of busy.

This sounded like an ad for a French wife!  ::)