November 17, 2019, 08:33:34 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread  (Read 28047 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:27:52 PM »
Regret and Redemption

by http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com

Your MC did something, planned or by accident, and it went terribly wrong. Life is now constant regret. Do they want to correct it? Is it even possible? Everybody should have the chance to redeem themselves, but this is not a fairy tale - or is it?

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story's theme must be regret and/or contain an MC who tries to redeem himself.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close September 30th/October 1st, 2017 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:10:17 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep 2017] - Regret and Redemption - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »
YES!!

What an interesting topic. Of course it shall be dark, and redemption is not to be had!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 12:04:41 AM »
Uggghhh I have an idea but it's not fantasy

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
Just add a fantastical twist. Like everyone is a centaur or has wings or minor quirks of power. Boom. Fantasy.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 02:44:19 AM »
The first idea to come to mind when I saw the word regret involves creatures lurking in the depths of our oceans. Perhaps I shall be touching my inner Lovecraftian this month.

I blame the documentaries I've been watching this afternoon ;D.

Offline Roelor

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
I have an idea, but I am unsure whether I'll be able to shape it well.
Just gonna give it a try I guess..

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
Damn I have good characters, a great location and a plot rigged with regrets, alchemy and badassery, but now I realise there is no redemption anywhere... Haha!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
Damn I have good characters, a great location and a plot rigged with regrets, alchemy and badassery, but now I realise there is no redemption anywhere... Haha!
Regret is enough!

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:21:34 AM »
While not part of my own story, I'm wondering if anyone will use both the concepts, but swap the order of the two. Start the story with the character getting redemption, but regrets it as the story ends.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 07:43:05 AM »
While not part of my own story, I'm wondering if anyone will use both the concepts, but swap the order of the two. Start the story with the character getting redemption, but regrets it as the story ends.
Nice idea, cool twist. :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »
Great topic.

Challenge for @Rukaio_Alter:
Make this into,a comedy.  ;D

Well, probably not a challenge for him.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
Don't really think it'd be hard, one can have regrets due to very ridiculous circumstances, and one can go to laughable length to earn redemption.

This being said I'm not sure the story I have penned down fits the theme that well. No real regret involved, and the intricacy of the universe I'm building up, set in an alchemy factory with tensions between staff and owner, doesn't benefit from the word count.

Might scrap it and go for something different entirely. Mmmh...

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
My story seems less about regret at the moment and more focused on a sense of isolation and fear. But considering the story's setting and the character is alone there, that's isn't too surprising. Or maybe since the later two are the one's I'm more focused on portraying I'm not noticing the regret.

Offline Yora

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
I've just started warming up to try my hand at writing again and the circle I am working on (that's probably the word that matches best) revolves heavily around errors and consequences. As always, I am not sure how to get this done in 1500 words, but writing a single scene should be a fun exercise.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
Hm... Just finished the first draft and the ending took a turn I didn't expect. Knew it was going in that direction from the beginning, I just didn't expect it to manifest as it did. It's also shorter than I imagined, as I thought I was gonna go over the word limit and have to cut back. But it ended up being about 1,200 words.

Well, time to put it off to the side for a time before editing so I can look at it with fresh eyes. I just hope it doesn't turn out like January's story where I forgot about it until February.