A Seasick Sword - Anonymous
2 (3.3%)
Friendly fire - Osahon
3 (5%)
The Red Chicken - Lanko
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: October 31, 2016, 09:42:56 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Voting Thread  (Read 13083 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
[Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Voting Thread
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »
It's time to vote on September's Writing Contest: Pirates.

We got 17 entries this month, from oldies and newbies, a larger number again.
Thanks to all of you for participating!

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your four favourite entries in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

The key for the numbers of votes is this: 1-5 entries: 1 vote, 5-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes, 16-19: 4 votes, 20-25: 5 votes, 26+: 6 votes

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in a few months.

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for taking the time to read the stories and vote! :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:04:40 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
Okay, so just looking at the titles, I am very curious about Lanko's story.

EDIT: Are we waiting on critique threads and having someone ask for a critique, or are we using m3m's attached template and posting that at the end of the competition?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 03:03:03 PM by night_wrtr »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 03:28:33 PM »
EDIT: Are we waiting on critique threads and having someone ask for a critique, or are we using m3m's attached template and posting that at the end of the competition?
I wouldn't start critiquing while the voting is still open...
If you're asking for last month's stories, feel free to create a critique thread in that section and ask or give one out there :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
I wouldn't start critiquing while the voting is still open...
If you're asking for last month's stories, feel free to create a critique thread in that section and ask or give one out there :)

indeed.  that's just for your personal, optional use.  to help you keep your opinions on the stories straight.

also, there's some formatting weirdness to lanko's story in the ebooks.  i'm looking into that.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 03:55:22 PM »
Ah, ok. Not sure why, but just saw the critique sheet and was thinking that was something added after the other poll discussion. Gotcha, nevermind me.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »
Ah, ok. Not sure why, but just saw the critique sheet and was thinking that was something added after the other poll discussion. Gotcha, nevermind me.
There was some discussion of getting people to write short reviews of each story, you're not imagining things! Wakarimasen used to do that - a couple of sentences for each rather than a serious critique - and it was always hugely appreciated by everyone. Nothing stopping people from doing that at all - based on past responses the vast majority of participants would love it!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
I've been thinking something like this:

- We should encourage the winner of the contest to open the Critique thread themselves, as a form of "courtesy" to everyone else. Should as "not obligatory, but it would be really nice if you did it." In time it would become "natural and expected of the winner(s)". Hehe, indirect social pressure for the win!

- Then they also post at least 2-3 critiques to get the ball rolling.

- Of course, some people may not be comfortable offering critiques, so they can just say what they liked the most
in some stories. What matter is that the game starts!

- Anyone can ask for a critique as well or about specific parts of their story.

- Bonus points if the winner(s) (or anyone else) can pick a newbie story to comment. It would help by making the new people feel it's a very friendly place and there's a lot of people helping each other to improve. So they get help, later they end up helping too, and hopefully it snowballs with more people coming in the future and becoming regulars.

- The winner can and also should ask for feedback themselves! Improvement is a constant. There's nothing stopping anyone from starting the thread, but by being the most voted story, the winner(s) would probably have a lot of comments right away about what people liked about their story, at the the very least, just by opening the thread themselves.
Add to that some critiques by the winner, and you can get a lot of people in at once, who would start commenting back (hopefully) and the ball keeps rolling around.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:55:25 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
I like it :) but it's the writers/participants who should have the say!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 10:26:48 PM »
- Then they also post at least 2-3 critiques to get the ball rolling.

this one seems sort of pretentious.  "i won, so i am going to criticize these guys".

tho, if the 2-3 were requested/cleared by their authors, i'm totally there.  i like the dynamic of "winner responsibilities".

What do you all think?

in general, i love the thought of more structure around critiques.  i think this is a great list to get the ball rolling, but any ideas NEED to come from an opt-in perspective.  some folks don't like their work critiqued in a public forum.

one thing to maybe think about is incentivizing critique participation.  getting the critique thread going seems to have a high coefficient of friction.

p.s.  anyone who ever has any opinion at all -- good, bad, bored -- about my stories?  please, please, please feel free to post it anywhere on the entire internet and point me at it.  i love all feedback.  i've had critics giving me both good and bad feedback on my various professional works for two decades.  i'm completely immune to "hurt feelings" in any way, shape or form.  sorta comes with having a godzilla-sized ego.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
Yes, maybe the winner should just start the thread then and people come in to ask for a critique.

I thought the winner simply because we're all happy when they are announced, we cheer and congratulate them, everyone is in a good mood.
And when they open it, people won't be as inhibited when pointing out the good stuff they liked (could be X for one, Y reason for another). Then they return the comments, more people join in and talk about other stories, and the ball rolls.

Of course, it isn't just so we can all feel good and have a cookie, people can ask for feedback on any aspect of their stories. And of course, people may know by themselves what they could've done better, don't want it public, are not interested this month (but may be in the next), etc.

But maybe by creating a structure (the winner opening the thread, in this case) it would eventually become a regular thing, so in time there would always be one, whether a certain month spikes huge interest or not, and it wouldn't depend on one or two specific members to keep critique threads rolling.

Just thought the winner of the month could be this "beacon" for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 12:09:26 AM »
I'm with you, Lanko. A start is a start. We can let it evolve as we go along. Anything to get the ball rolling. I'll open it for last month, just in case we have any takers.

EDIT: Let's continue the Critique discussion Here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:02:49 AM by night_wrtr »

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »
kerpow!

the director of engineering at m3m & noch publishing co. figured out the issue with the formatting of @Lanko's story was due to a cache issue.  cleared the cache, and pow!  all better!

he also updated the logging to make that clearer next time.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 12:49:06 AM »
kerpow!

the director of engineering at m3m & noch publishing co. figured out the issue with the formatting of @Lanko's story was due to a cache issue.  cleared the cache, and pow!  all better!

Yay, thanks for fixing it, m3m! Your publishing house is the best  ;D

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:14:27 AM »
kerpow!

Yay, thanks for fixing it, m3m! Your publishing house is the best  ;D

He actually forgot to update the download files  ::)