November 20, 2019, 07:56:53 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread  (Read 33461 times)

Online Peat

Re: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Also, just FYI...

No one said anything barring SPACE PIRATES.

:0

Nobody said anything barring Interdimensional Pirates who ride on Dragons either  8)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2016, 10:55:26 PM »
I've had a bit of inspiration tonight, but my hand wanted more sketching than writing, and I had some fun mapping out some ideas... If I manage well I'll have sailor insults, modern day data piracy, dinosaurs as team members and weapons, dinos as boats and labour...

Here a messed up troodon coming back injured from a reconnaissance mission with a strapped Go Pro...

My pirate group will be a small team working with the (now established) semi-aquatic spinosaurus as the stearing and powering part of a pirogue-like assortment of vessels. That's too crude, I want it much bigger, but I wanted to draw rings like piercings in its hide between vertebrae ridges to pass ropes... Little troodons as parrots?

It's all very light-hearted, and I sadly doubt I'd be able to illustrate the rigged ship I plan for the spino anyway.
Now I should probably actually start writing!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Peat

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 11:16:18 PM »
I vote that Nora be permitted/encouraged/bribed to submit in Graphic Novel form.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
Right! I'll accept if I can get 2 months to write it  ::)
I'll try and make some illustrations because dinos are awesome, but I'm crap at drawing humans and nature in general. Nice idea though, and great compliment, thanks! Might be worth trying some storyboard style pictures.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 11:33:44 PM »
Graphic novel duel between @Nora and @Raptori with @Saurus!
Anyone else in?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 12:01:52 AM »
Anyone else in?

Well, I wouldn't be "in" because there would be little chance of me winning that, and competition in drawing sorts of freaks me out. I used to be mediocre/average in the club of young people who applied to France's best art schools, and I've done some etchings that still strike me a crazy too good to be mine, but all that was almost 6 or 7 years ago, during which I hardly practised at all, so I'm aware that I'm way worse than I used to be, and feel all the less confident or keen to compete for it!  ::)

Edit : here you go, a bonus last sketch, in coarse pensil of a broody cap'n and his pet troodon begging for pats. The captain is petting him but the sausagey fingers got lost in the feathers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:20:08 AM by Nora »

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »
Anyone else in?
Hah! That's a good one.  ???

:P

Srsly though, while it's a cool idea, not a chance of happening. Saurus inexplicably lacks the confidence to show her artwork publicly (I wish there was a more emphatic word with the same meaning as inexplicable), and Raptori has never really been interested in comics (never read any actually). Plus RaptorSaurs don't really take part in contests these days.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »
Anyone else in?
Hah! That's a good one.  ???

:P

Srsly though, while it's a cool idea, not a chance of happening. Saurus inexplicably lacks the confidence to show her artwork publicly (I wish there was a more emphatic word with the same meaning as inexplicable), and Raptori has never really been interested in comics (never read any actually). Plus RaptorSaurs don't really take part in contests these days.  ;)

Which is inexplicable in itself! I used to frequently vote for your work and never really saw your frustration and following break coming.
Get a story out guys, you can't lack inspiration on a theme like pirates!!

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
Plus RaptorSaurs don't really take part in contests these days.  ;)
I also don't get it, but as long as you're writing for yourselves, I'm happy.
You *are* writing, right?
Otherwise I'll start pestering you as I did @Saraband ;)

Note: I don't say this in a selfish way, but there are people that I think write really well and lack of confidence shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of their dreams and what makes them happy, even if it's a totally personal pursuit :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
Which is inexplicable in itself! I used to frequently vote for your work and never really saw your frustration and following break coming.
Get a story out guys, you can't lack inspiration on a theme like pirates!!
Inspiration isn't the problem really! It's easy to come up with ideas, not so easy to get them to a point where we're happy with them.

I also don't get it, but as long as you're writing for yourselves, I'm happy.
You *are* writing, right?
Otherwise I'll start pestering you as I did @Saraband ;)

Note: I don't say this in a selfish way, but there are people that I think write really well and lack of confidence shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of their dreams and what makes them happy, even if it's a totally personal pursuit :)
We try, but haven't really made any progress. Ends up feeling kinda pointless when you waste several hours and only get a couple of hundred words of crap from it! Don't think pestering would really help - it's not like we can try harder than we already are...  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
 :-\
Have you read that blog post from V.E.Schwab? Maybe you just want to write perfectly first time round, and that's stiffling you? :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
Ends up feeling kinda pointless when you waste several hours and only get a couple of hundred words of crap from it!
You mean there's some other way to write?  ???
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 11:06:19 AM »
:-\
Have you read that blog post from V.E.Schwab? Maybe you just want to write perfectly first time round, and that's stiffling you? :-\
Yeah that's not the problem - we're able to write a rough draft fairly easily, but after that just get stuck. Hopefully if we keep trying it'll get better though!

Ends up feeling kinda pointless when you waste several hours and only get a couple of hundred words of crap from it!
You mean there's some other way to write?  ???
So they say!  ;D

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
You get stuck like what? You used to be doing just fine. Are you suddenly incapable of polishing up your drafts? Did you try writing independently?
Have you tried posting despite your misgivings? Are your doubts in anyway related to few votes in the contest?

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2016, 07:15:07 PM »
You get stuck like what?
Stuck as in polishing the rough draft progresses at a rate of somewhere between a sentence to a couple of paragraphs an hour most of the time. And doesn't usually result in an outcome we're happy with!

You used to be doing just fine. Are you suddenly incapable of polishing up your drafts? Did you try writing independently?
Nothing sudden, more a slow decline in productivity.

Have you tried posting despite your misgivings? Are your doubts in anyway related to few votes in the contest?
Little to no effect either way really. The times we got few votes encouraged us to improve; the times we got many made us want to build on that.

Dunno really. Thanks for the concern, I'm sure we'll work it out in the end. Just wish it'd happen faster!