November 13, 2019, 03:09:39 AM

Author Topic: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread  (Read 33168 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »
Thanks, pal! I kinda feel like I've come home to find a group of youths have taken over my living room. But they're the nice kind of youths. The kind that will fetch my groceries and help me cross the street.

P.S - That damn image scared the fluff out of me. Dang. Wasn't expecting it.
A group of youths who are all older than you. ;D But only in years of course and who is counting that? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Aw, shucks, guys. Now I'm all embarrassed and stuff  ;D Thanks for the welcome folks, I hope we become fast friends :)

It's great seeing all the new faces (profile pics?) and see that we still have a strong community. I remember there being a bit of a rough patch when the site started to take off (really odd and confrontational members), but thankfully that seems to have settled down!

Yeah, @xiagan It's like Paran joining the Bridgeburners (but I'm nowhere near as cool or noble  8))

How is everyone getting along with their entries? If you haven't already submitted, of course!
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
Haven't written anything past the initial burst of idea, sort of lost motivation to be honest, and got even more distracted by the work on my main Wip.
Not sure if I'll enter. There is little time left. We'll see.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
oooh!  nora!  you should draw a few sketches of your mc!

then, draw another one where they're wearing a pirate hat, eyepatch, and have a wooden leg!

that'll get the ol' juices flowing.

especially if you show how they lost the leg after it got stuck in an ant hill on pirate island, and thousands of ants pincered it off, bite-by-bite.  there'll be juices everywhere!

p.s.  that last part was to help with the darkness that i'm sure is gonna be slathered throughout your story.

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2016, 06:37:49 PM »
Well. I'm at 1400 words and still have the big 'reveal' to do  :'( :'( :'(

I don't think it's gonna happen guys...
Up Helly Aah!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2016, 06:55:40 PM »

you got this!

jmack cut some 500 words out of his to make it fit.  swap out a little telling for the showing early on.  you can do it.  we have faith!

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

you got this!

jmack cut some 500 words out of his to make it fit.  swap out a little telling for the showing early on.  you can do it.  we have faith!

I've been reading too much Malazan. It's all showing! :(
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
I see a lot of "Aye" being used in stories.

Let me just point out that saying Aye alone is an affectation, but to make it a naval expression, you need it doubled.
Typically it'd be "Aye aye, sir". One to say you heard the order, the second to indicate you understand and will apply the order.
Aye aye = roger.

Just in case some of y'all didn't know.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »
an affectation?  are you sure you're not thinking of "eh"?  as in, "nice mornin', eh?"

'cause "aye" alone just means "yes".  as in, "the 'ayes' have it."  (the opposite, of course, being "nay")  doubled-up, it just means, "for reals, yes."

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2016, 03:09:50 PM »
an affectation?  are you sure you're not thinking of "eh"?  as in, "nice mornin', eh?"

'cause "aye" alone just means "yes".  as in, "the 'ayes' have it."  (the opposite, of course, being "nay")  doubled-up, it just means, "for reals, yes."

All who agree with this say "aye."

"Aye."

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2016, 03:12:10 PM »
Unless you're using it as an affirmative such as 'yes' or 'okay' of course :) I find aye aye to be too much. A little over the top unless you're doing that on purpose.

All who agree with this say "aye."

Aye.
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »

No sorry, I guess I picked the wrong word. I mean, no one says Aye for yes outside of scottish people and pirate characters. So it's "affected" in that sense. It doesn't seem natural, and comes with a certain gruffness due to the type of tropey characters who use this casually. KnowwhatImean?

Unless you're using it as an affirmative such as 'yes' or 'okay' of course :) I find aye aye to be too much. A little over the top unless you're doing that on purpose.

Well, if you want to depict an accurate ship running, it's normal to have "aye aye", not over the top. Just accurate. Can be too much for the type of story you want to write, I'm not saying you should do it any other way, just sharing the love for the nautical terms.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »

No sorry, I guess I picked the wrong word. I mean, no one says Aye for yes outside of scottish people and pirate characters. So it's "affected" in that sense. It doesn't seem natural, and comes with a certain gruffness due to the type of tropey characters who use this casually. KnowwhatImean?

totes, yo.

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »
I mean, no one says Aye for yes outside of scottish people and pirate characters. So it's "affected" in that sense. It doesn't seem natural, and comes with a certain gruffness due to the type of tropey characters who use this casually. KnowwhatImean?

In the north of England and to some extent around the Midlands (but not as common), 'aye' is used fairly naturally to mean 'yes' 'sure' or 'okay.' I think as far south as Devon (farming lands) it's used in the more common sense of asking a question, the equivelent of the Americanised 'eh' but pronounced 'ay.' Pretty sure Welsh folk use it too, in both forms. Tbh, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's a British term, but became synonyous with pirates due to popularity of West country accents in Carol's work.

I think the trope comes from everyone following the 'rule' that fantasy has to be in a medieval setting, but for myself it's just a natural part of language (though I'll admit I say it less that my characters, but I do say it often in real life). Hopefully that clears some things up for you?

Woosh... dialect and accent lesson over!

Up Helly Aah!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2016, 07:53:39 PM »
I mean, no one says Aye for yes outside of scottish people and pirate characters. So it's "affected" in that sense. It doesn't seem natural, and comes with a certain gruffness due to the type of tropey characters who use this casually. KnowwhatImean?

In the north of England and to some extent around the Midlands (but not as common), 'aye' is used fairly naturally to mean 'yes' 'sure' or 'okay.' I think as far south as Devon (farming lands) it's used in the more common sense of asking a question, the equivelent of the Americanised 'eh' but pronounced 'ay.' Pretty sure Welsh folk use it too, in both forms. Tbh, I'm just gonna go ahead and say it's a British term, but became synonyous with pirates due to popularity of West country accents in Carol's work.

I think the trope comes from everyone following the 'rule' that fantasy has to be in a medieval setting, but for myself it's just a natural part of language (though I'll admit I say it less that my characters, but I do say it often in real life). Hopefully that clears some things up for you?

Woosh... dialect and accent lesson over!

Yam Barmpot don't Bamboozle them ya blobmouth my old murker
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate