November 18, 2019, 07:59:39 PM

Author Topic: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread  (Read 33305 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Sep 2016] - Pirates! - Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
Don't think you can quite link the "live videos" number of attempts and successes to anything due to "present tense". The immense majority of videos you talk of are shaky cams, like Blair Witch, or Cloverfield, or all the new ghost stories with video surveillance and found footages, and are incredibly uncomfortable to watch for a large part of the public. They also tend to be of the Horror genre, because it makes the menace so much more "real" and "immediate".
They can be super popular with their audience, but I for one almost never watch horror. Some of my friends would never watch a shaking cam unless they'd want to puke.
Besides, movies like Paranormal Activity (at least the first) are very far from including a lot of garbage, immediate, unnecessary elements. These are deeply planned films despite the medium. Blair Witch is pretty unique.
I really don't think it can be linked to present tense in books, there are too many elements that are repulsive in themselves and don't correlate to book writing.

“Some books just come alive in the present tense in a way I feel they don’t when told in the past tense,” says Mitchell, suggesting the decision is a question of following the particular demands of each novel. “I thought that writing an historical novel in the present tense gave The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet a strange paradox. This already happened a long time ago, yet it’s happening now. Time is such an important character in The Bone Clocks – it’s there in the title – that I liked the idea of a narrative that surfed the crest of the present moment for six decades.” As for his second novel, Number9dream, Mitchell remembers “sitting in my then-girlfriend-now-wife’s bedroom and just changing all the verbs from past to present, and liking it a whole load more. Books let you know what tense they want to be written in.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/21/rise-of-the-present-tense-in-fiction-hilary-mantel

Really agree with that. Looking back, FOUR of my monthly stories were in the present tense.
Two were 3rd place on the podium, another was 2nd place, one is in the voting process but won't make it with that competition...
For this month we'll see. But I find that the mind set behind present tense fits my short stories best these days, but not all stories are good with it, and I can imagine most authors would never feel comfortable in it.

I'm glad to see more trying it though!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:28:08 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
Got mine submitted. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's mine none the less :D.

Now to begin reading last month's submissions.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
I don't know what's going on these days but I keep losing interest in my writing.

The two months I skipped, I had stories in the works, but I thought it was stress and lack of focus and time that kept me from finishing them, besides a mild lack of interest in my stories themselves.

But even this month I'm just dissatisfied by my story, and after a burst of creativity, two re-writes, I just can't be bothered trying to even finish it. There is half a month to change that, but really I'm wondering what's up!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
personally?

i'd guess it's because your world has been upside down for a couple months -- sucking all your creative juices away.  you're spending so much time thinking about and doing other stuff, that you just don't have time to live as fully in your writing.

that's probably why everyone says "make it a habit" and "just write" and stuff like that.  it's easy to get side-tracked by real life.  seems like solid periods of life-stability are a writer's best friend.  (only periods, of course, because occasional random adventures kick ass!)

makes me marvel at those people who can consistently write on their phone, during every spare minute of the day.  just pouring out words all over the page.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2016, 11:34:42 PM »
I had an idea at last, and I wrote it. It's 400 words over currently. But I love the title. And I couldn't get all the characters in I wanted.

Still at least the title is good.

Stupid word limit. :(

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
Well, I think this month's story took me about 20 hours.
Which may be partly because my writing time was broken up in dribs and drabs over the last two week.

But it's done! <Yay>
Oh, so many darlings killed, sliced, and left on the cutting room floor.

And I love my little story, so someone needs to tell me it's wonderful, even if it's not true.
Quick.
Please.
 :-[ ::)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2016, 04:01:57 PM »
And I love my little story, so someone needs to tell me it's wonderful, even if it's not true.
Quick.
Please.
 :-[ ::)
I'm sure it's wonderful, as always.  :)

I'm still reading the potion stories, so that will have to do for now.  ;)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
Just to check, I can have an expletive in the title of my story right?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2016, 05:31:55 PM »

Fuck Yeah!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »

Fuck Yeah!

No you fucking can't, you fucking sweary shit weasel.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2016, 02:16:49 PM »
Well, I forgot I was supposed to be working on this.  :-\

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2016, 02:33:07 PM »
1 week and a half left, plenty of time ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
1 week and a half left, plenty of time ;D

right?!

and, it's about PIRATES!!  how much fun is that?!?!

good god, man!  write, write, write!!

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
Hmm I'll be away for a week on Sunday, should probably get mine done by Friday evening :P

I attempted at first to do a choose your own adventure pirate story, with actual choices and stuff. But I couldn't make the word limit work how I wanted and lost steam on the idea.

Someone else can feel free to try if they're clueless and want to have a go :P

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
I attempted at first to do a choose your own adventure pirate story, with actual choices and stuff. But I couldn't make the word limit work how I wanted and lost steam on the idea.

Someone else can feel free to try if they're clueless and want to have a go :P

Hmm.  I love Choose your own adventure games. Maybe next month.  . .
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex