August 19, 2019, 01:19:50 PM

Author Topic: [SEP 2015] Politics, Scheming and Intrigue - Discussion thread  (Read 42352 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: [SEP 2015] Politics, Scheming and Intrigue - Discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Calling @ScarletBea and @ArcaneArtsVelho- you both encouraged me so you're to blame.  AAV, oneday came today  ;D ;D ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »
 :o WOW!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:56 PM »
Calling ScarletBea and ArcaneArtsVelho you both encouraged me so you're to blame.  AAV, oneday  came today  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yay, the Day has come! I'm happy to take the blame for this.  ;D
ScarletBea, would this theme be suitable for your contest debut?  ;)

I probably should use my generated "map that gives bad directions" plot now because I did say I would use it one day. Hmmm? Doesn't really fit the theme.  :-\   I'll have to think about it. Fear not, I'm going to use it eventually.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
hehe Nope!
This theme is probably the worst, because I'm always the last to understand any hints ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
Calling @ScarletBea and @ArcaneArtsVelho- you both encouraged me so you're to blame.  AAV, oneday came today  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Aw yeah! I'm ready for this.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »

I probably should use my generated "map that gives bad directions" plot now because I did say I would use it one day. Hmmm? Doesn't really fit the theme.  :-\   I'll have to think about it. Fear not, I'm going to use it eventually.

A "map that gives bad directions" could be fun in a zany spy story -- spy stories should count as intrigue, right?  Throw in some poison and layers of conflict with the map getting the protagonist into a wrong-place-wrong-time that's so wrong it's almost right in a different way.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 05:39:23 PM »

woo hoo!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »
Done and dusted, as Lady_Ty would've put it. ;)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 01:17:49 AM »
Congratulations on taking the plunge Lady Ty!
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 03:04:14 AM »
Thanks for encouragement and welcome everyone, LIKES to all above.  This  is just for fun and as a confirmed political junkie  I couldn't resist.

Would you be surprised to learn I had terrible trouble cutting out 75 words?  Thought not.  ::)
Now genuinely appreciate how you all struggle to get down to 1500 and not spoil the story. ;D

Finally posted about 2.00am here and felt was stereotypical writer slaving away at all hours.  ::)
Not in a garret though or starving. Ate far too many Cadbury Favourites as excuse I deserved them. Hope you all pamper yourselves every 1500 words when working on your WiP's. New Rule. 8)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
Thanks for encouragement and welcome everyone, LIKES to all above.  This  is just for fun and as a confirmed political junkie  I couldn't resist.

Would you be surprised to learn I had terrible trouble cutting out 75 words?  Thought not.  ::)
Now genuinely appreciate how you all struggle to get down to 1500 and not spoil the story. ;D

Finally posted about 2.00am here and felt was stereotypical writer slaving away at all hours.  ::)
Not in a garret though or starving. Ate far too many Cadbury Favourites as excuse I deserved them. Hope you all pamper yourselves every 1500 words when working on your WiP's. New Rule. 8)

So happy to see you taking part, @Lady_Ty:) And yes, the struggle is real. To kill your darlings is not an easy task  :P

I'll certainly try to take parth this month, I love the theme too much to let it pass. Let's see if the muse is in the mood for something good!
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »
hehe Nope!
This theme is probably the worst, because I'm always the last to understand any hints ;D
:(
Maybe that just shows how unique your train of thought is. I'm sure your story would blow our conventional minds when we would finally "get" it.  :)

A "map that gives bad directions" could be fun in a zany spy story -- spy stories should count as intrigue, right?  Throw in some poison and layers of conflict with the map getting the protagonist into a wrong-place-wrong-time that's so wrong it's almost right in a different way.
I think that could work, but I have two other story ideas that would be more intrigue-y. Hard choices.  :-\
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
Tough theme -- I like to just have a character, a situation, and a rough idea of an end point and discovery write my way through a first draft.  That really doesn't seem to work for intrigue.

Offline JoeWalter

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »
Just finished reading the entries which have already been posted. Really quality pieces in my opinion, two in particular which I sincerely enjoyed. It's amazing how much story can fit into short pieces. Great work everyone.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »
Finally, a hint of inspiration.
I'd started something, and maybe I'll finish it, too; but it wasn't strong enough.
And I've written five 5-line stanzas of a poem that might fit. But it's not really right either.

So, a character, and a hint of a situation.
Guess what I'll be working on tonight...
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com