November 20, 2019, 07:55:12 AM

Author Topic: [September 2013] Battles - Discussion Thread  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Idlewilder

[September 2013] Battles - Discussion Thread
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

Image by donovanvaldes.

This month we're going to explore the backbone of every good epic fantasy novel and space opera:

Battles.

This month we want you to set a story (or poem) in and around a battle. This could be a skirmish at the edge of the map, a grand space battle or the deciding fight in a century-long war. It can be a fight in the midst of clashing swords between personal enemies, a discussion of tactics in the general's tent or that moment when the gate falls and the siege ends in blood and death.

So your challenge this month is to write a story, in whatever combination of fantasy or SF subgenre you like - but it must include BATTLE(S) as a core element. (Fan fiction is not allowed) Once again, I'm going to open the contest to both prose and poetry as I'm excited to see what you guys can do!

Rules:
1. This can be prose or a poem. Be creative.
2. "Battle(s)" must be a core element in your piece.
4. Prose must be 500-2000 words long.
    Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
    You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits by any more than 10%.

Entry will close at Noon (GMT) on the 1st October 2013, barring any extraneous circumstances and voting will be open for the month thereafter.

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in November 2013.

Good luck and Happy Writing!

Note: This thread is to discuss the month's theme and any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:59:05 PM by Autumn2May »
Make Another World.

Offline Neila

Re: [September 2013] Battles - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:20:39 AM »
OH cool! I might be able to use my next half of my longer short story for this. Can we post part of a longer short story or will it be disqualified if it's longer than 2000 words and we only post a portion of it?

I may have to peal some time off the backs of some of my spare minutes to write a second piece otherwise, not sure I can manage that. :C