October 25, 2020, 04:31:40 PM

Author Topic: The Folding Knife Week 1: Chapters 1 - 4  (Read 11793 times)

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Re: The Folding Knife Week 1: Chapters 1 - 4
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »
I have to say as of now, I don't get the hype.
Yes, it's an interesting and entertaining book and I like Parker's narrative, but it's not the BAM! I expected. ;)
Enjoying this, though. Dunno if it would work as good if the narrative wasn't as distanced as it is.

But his wife? The only reason for that I think was to tie up any loose ends, and prevent whatever fallout he may have had by leaving her alive.
Yep, exactly that. We're told twice how she looks at him with hate in her eyes and I guess he doesn't wanted her to make the rest of his life miserable.

And then there are his children. I think we were a good ways into this section before we even found out their names. But we had a couple sections with his nephew before that. Why is he always so concerned with his nephew, yet we hear next to nothing of his own children?
That puzzled me too. I guess you are right. It's because his nephew/godson is his sister's son and he loves her above everyone else (and seeing how his wife cheated he at least is sure that Bassano is of his own blood. I've heard before that in past societies men invested more into the children of their sisters than their own because they could be sure that it was their bloodine).

I still suspect  that he may be working to undermine Basso in some way. I may be proven quite wrong, but that's what's playing in the back of my mind as I am reading right now.
I'm not sure about that. After all, he learned everything he knows from him and maybe Antigonus is proud enough of that. We'll see (well, you all already know, so I will see. ;))

The stealing just for 'sport' is interesting as well, as we will see Basso enjoys taking risks. Are these necessary or unnecessary risk though?
Also the pit fights. He's taking great risks concerning personal health for next to nothing. Maybe he's like his father and thinks that Luck is a muscle that needs to be trained.

Given that this book was published at the height of anti-war and anti-banker sentiment, I think it also meant to address that head on! At no point does The Folding Knife try to claim what Basso is doing is the Right Thing, but it does help you think about why people do the wrong things (while thinking they're right).

That is damn near the most complicated sentence I've ever written, I hope it makes sense.
That's nearly philosophy!

I don't particularly like Basso, but I like reading about him. He's fascinating. He's so measured with everything he does - or so it seems - that you can't help but wonder what his ultimate endgame is.
In this regard I find it interesting that we already know from the prologue that he will lose everything.

I'm more or less with Jeni at this point. I thought the book sounded more interesting than it's turned out to be, so far. I'm willing to put a lot of this down to how different it is from anything I normally read, but... Yeah. I've gotten through the first quarter and I'm struggling to stay keen on it. I'll try, but this doesn't bode well...

I can't answer that without spoilers. But, speaking vaguely, there's.... plague, assassinations, heists and war. So stuff definitely happens and there's a lot of it coming.

THAT SAID, the whole thing is still narrated in the same style. So I can promise less economics and much more action, but it doesn't exactly turn into a swashbuckler.
It feels a bit like the book is almost over. A lot happened already and from the "forty years later" is not much left for his downfall. Still, this only the first section, so maybe/probably more things will happen in a shorter amount of time in the following chapters.

I find his relationship to his general Aelius (who knows him longer than anybody else not related to him) quite interesting and the reasons why he chose him. It's a good example on how Basso's mind works.

I'm curious if Bassano will get into the bank like he wishes or not and what kind of effects this will have.

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)