July 10, 2020, 02:16:25 PM

Author Topic: [Oct 2017] - Find the Story in the Picture - Discussion Thread  (Read 33614 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Oct 2017] - Find the Story in the Picture - Discussion Thread
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:44:46 PM »
Find the Story in the Picture

This month you get three pictures to choose from. Every picture is a frozen moment from an unknown story. It conveys an atmosphere and (part of) a setting. The rest is up to you.

Swamp Village by khang le

Dwarf Docks by Pavel Mikhailenko

Sevensky by Simon Weaner

Right click pictures and choose 'view image' to view the enlarged version without the forum's boundaries.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story/poem must be inspired by one of the pictures.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close October 31th/November 1st, 2017 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:26:02 PM by Autumn2May »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Oct 2017] - Find the Story in the Picture - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »
No sci Fi setting @xiagan?

Not that I mind this much, can always make one up on top of these more fantasy settings but still, a busy space station would be cool to balance things out (also I know it'd get me a great tebakutis story...)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
Well, no obvious Sci-Fi setting. ;)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »
Hm. Certainly an interesting premise for a contest.

That said, I can't help but feel we could've maybe used a bit more variety in the pictures, perhaps? It very well might just be me and my own hang-ups, but they almost feel a bit... samey in terms of visual style and the ideas that they provoke, if that makes sense. A sci-fi setting, like Nora suggested, might've been a good way to shake things up.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »
Well, no obvious Sci-Fi setting. ;)

Semantics, you evil mod! XD

I don't care, I'm going for the first picture for a full blown alien space opera glimpse.

Edit: if I'm allowed to suggest any images I'd say those are two cool candidates

Spoiler for Hiden:
https://cdnb1.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/003/446/265/large/francesco-lorenzetti-frank01.jpg?1473769665

And

https://68.media.tumblr.com/659c4dd89ac366f6183af942ce326be6/tumblr_nyass0UHu51qflgwpo1_1280.jpg

Especially this last one being so mixed. Could be floating due to the rocks themselves, or magic, or technology. Nice width of interpretation. The first one is just very blade runner.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:49:52 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »
I find the second one quite sci-fy-ie :o

And who's to say SF must be in space?
and on that...
Who's to say none of these pictures are in a far away planet?
 ;D

(we did try to get 3 different pics... I guess making decisions at 4am, or when your brain seems to be off doesn't work quite well :-\ sorry)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:24:50 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »
It was a conscious decision to not use obvious Sci-Fi pictures. We can do one with Sci-Fi themed pictures another month. :)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
I'm not saying we have to use sci-fi pictures, that was just a suggestion, but even among fantasy pictures, I feel like there should be more variety. I mean our options are basically...

1: An undergrowth treehouse city by a swamp/lake

2: An underground city by a lake

3: Basically just a normal-looking dock/shipyard. Presumably by an ocean and/or lake.

Surely we can have a bit more variety in our pictures than that? A desert, a city in the clouds, grassy plains, arctic, all sorts of things would fit. Heck, there was this thread a while back where we posted those sorts of pictures as a writing exercise. Plenty of varied options to pick from there.

Not saying we have to change mind, I could probably rustle up a story with these just fine, but I think it would make the contest a lot more interesting.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
@xiagan, can we change the pics? Rukaio has a point, the first 2 are quite similar, even though we tried not to. You had different ones in the PMs you sent me, just replace one :)

I keep discovering new things in these pics, to be honest... I hadn't realised the first had water in it.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »
@xiagan, can we change the pics? Rukaio has a point, the first 2 are quite similar, even though we tried not to. You had different ones in the PMs you sent me, just replace one :)

I keep discovering new things in these pics, to be honest... I hadn't realised the first had water in it.

I like the first the best, but it's true that it's similar enough to the second, as in, both an inhabited structured by some watery place (the first is marshland, the second an underground lake). A desert might be more different, but can't see why you couldn't just add a fourth picture.
This being said I really like the idea of images being used as a recurring theme – much more so than the story generator. Maybe it's mostly due to the fact that I often browse my own pictures on pinterest to trigger ideas while the theme is churning in my mind.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 06:06:41 PM »
I actually don't see why more or more different pictures are better if you can only use one in a story. I would understand if you said that none of those pictures inspires you so you need a new one. But each to their own. :)

So do you want more or should we keep three but more diversity?

I made a small album with pictures. We can either use all of them or only three. Tell us what you think! (I lean to keeping the three and add more just in case somebody has already started writing for one of the three.)
Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/Nek50

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
Well, depends what you want the pictures to do. It's only a matter of wording, I'm afraid. As in, if the topic had said, "one of these pictures of a fantasy setting" for example, putting the theme firmly into fantasy realm, we would have nothing to moan about (besides the fact that indeed maybe a more arid setting might be nice). But because it's just "these images", we can poke holes at it, and wish for more sci fi oriented works for those of us who want to turn to that.

I personally wouldn't let people choose from your entire list, mostly because many of them have characters set in very specific circumstances and that's an entirely different kettle of fish from the "broad landscape" you're originally presenting.
I would not mix those at all, because some like the picture of the man watering the egg don't offer you a "world" to set up whatever story in, but only one room, one character and one super specific action. So people basing themselves on that would work on something totally different from people working on a landscape.

But if you watch your images, you'll see most of them are of medieval or rather natural set ups. Most of them have low technology levels, besides the one of ships by a dying planet.

I think Rukaio and I mean pictures of landscapes more like those :

Or again, since Blade Runner is coming out next week, a nice futuristic city scape that would offer some room for cyber punk/cyborg/crime noir..

The inclusion of something more obviously tech-heavy would just justify people who want to write sci-fi/space/cyber punk, etc.
Your pictures are all fantasy oriented. So of course I could write a cyber punk space travel story with alien characters stopping on the alien swamp world, but it'd just be easier if I could pick a more fitting picture.

But then again it's just us complaining we lack choice, as I said, you could say the theme is fantasy and that's it. *shrugs* then we'd have to write fantasy. Just like when the month was Space Opera we couldn't write about people lunging around in mud under they tree house.

I would just pick a sci-fi oriented pic and make the month's choice based on four pictures, if it were me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 06:35:32 PM by Nora »

Offline Mikaela A. Ingram

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 01:19:01 AM »
*cracks knuckles* I think I can make a sci-fi/fantasy out of one of these... :)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:27:43 AM »
This contest now officially became "Make a Sci-Fi story out of these pictures".
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Hmm. I have to agree that the only logical criticism is a lack of SF setting. But, so what? Be creative. Meanwhile, I see great variety in these:

> a tree city with elephants, so, easily a South Asian flavor
> an underground city by a body of water; bright flaming lights; in left foreground, a working boat
> a naval salvage yard (post apocalyptic, anyone?) with 20th century clothing styles on African-featured people

These are quite varied!

I’m in and happy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com