Hidden Beauty
3 (2.9%)
Cú Sith
4 (3.9%)
Job Gone Wrong
1 (1%)
Memories
6 (5.9%)
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science?
11 (10.8%)
Some Called It Freedom
5 (4.9%)
Pit of Forgiveness
1 (1%)
Affinity
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread  (Read 44746 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
Congrats, @TOMunro ! I knew you were in, and that was the only guess on the guessing table (and it was on the wrong story  ::)) but good work!

I voted for Blink, Cú Sith, Hidden Beauty, Harry and Some Called it Freedom. I did wish for more votes, though, but I'm happy with those five.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2016, 03:28:05 PM »
Congrats on your win @TOMunro and to everyone else who placed.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
coy?  ha!

if they're de-anonymized, then we can offer congrats!

dude -- @TOMunro -- you're story was my absolute favorite.  loved it.  you NEED to come back and enter more contests.

i also voted for:  @Bradley Darewood, @tebakutis, @Rukaio_Alter, and the anonymous person who wrote Blink.  (tho, i suspect i know who that is)

this is the first time i've ever scored a story as "superb".  i even had to create a new tier for it.

the "great" tier held my other four votes.

and, finally, the "good" tier had about half of the rest of the stories.  it was an insane month for quality.

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
@TOMunro - Congratulations! Absolutely fantastic story! Happy to see that Where there is a will took home the honours. Can't wait to see more from you :)

@m3mnoch & @xiagan - voted for your stories as well. Bravo! You're both hilarious and masterful tale-weavers. Had a feeling xiagan wrote one of them after reading some of his posts on the forums. ^^

And I'm happy with my first showing with Harry. Figured I'd be somewhere up there because I was quite proud of it, but after reading the rest I knew I wasn't quite going to come out on top. Great work everyone!!!
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
So now that we know the names, I voted for@TOMunro, @Bradley Darewood, @Rukaio_Alter, @Saraband and @m3mnoch  :D

And I'll give honourable mentions to @The Gem Cutter, @Lordoftheword, @night_wrtr and @tebakutis  :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2016, 03:54:41 PM »
@TOMunro - Congratulations! Absolutely fantastic story! Happy to see that Where there is a will took home the honours. Can't wait to see more from you :)

@m3mnoch & @xiagan - voted for your stories as well. Bravo! You're both hilarious and masterful tale-weavers. Had a feeling xiagan wrote one of them after reading some of his posts on the forums. ^^

And I'm happy with my first showing with Harry. Figured I'd be somewhere up there because I was quite proud of it, but after reading the rest I knew I wasn't quite going to come out on top. Great work everyone!!!
While I did write a story, I didn't finish it on time. :(
The one you meant was by Rukaio and there should be another spoiler tag inside the other, giving credit to his name! Feeling honored, that you thought it could have been mine, though!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2016, 03:59:58 PM »

The one you meant was by Rukaio and there should be another spoiler tag inside the other, giving credit to his name! Feeling honored, that you thought it could have been mine, though!

hahaha you totally tricked me in your REVEAL post! There was a spoiler in the spoiler that I totally didn't see, you tricky SOB  ;D

So @Rukaio_Alter - fantastic work my friend. Apparently everyone knew that you'd written the story but me   :P

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:15 PM »

hahaha you totally tricked me in your REVEAL post! There was a spoiler in the spoiler that I totally didn't see, you tricky SOB  ;D

So @Rukaio_Alter - fantastic work my friend. Apparently everyone knew that you'd written the story but me   :P

Don't worry, that'll change in a couple of months at most...  ;)

coy?  ha!

if they're de-anonymized, then we can offer congrats!

dude -- @TOMunro -- you're story was my absolute favorite.  loved it.  you NEED to come back and enter more contests.

i also voted for:  @Bradley Darewood, @tebakutis, @Rukaio_Alter, and the anonymous person who wrote Blink.  (tho, i suspect i know who that is)

this is the first time i've ever scored a story as "superb".  i even had to create a new tier for it.

the "great" tier held my other four votes.

and, finally, the "good" tier had about half of the rest of the stories.  it was an insane month for quality.

I voted for you this month, and since I only voted for 3 people, I bid you take it as as much of a compliment as you will (self bloated fellow writer rolling by...)
I think you've done some tremendous progress on your writing since your first subs here. Not saying you wrote crap, but your characterisation and mastery of the short format is much better now, your cast in this story felt very alive and with a complex back story I could have read a lot more about. Also the use of the physical corpse was very well done, so you had all my points this month!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:05:01 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
Oh @Nora - you mentioned a little while back (can't find the post) that you wondered how the author of Harry felt knowing that his/her work was being attributed to you.

Well it felt great! After looking at some of your past work, it was an ego boost for me. Not that I need it...  :o

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
Oh @Nora - you mentioned a little while back (can't find the post) that you wondered how the author of Harry felt knowing that his/her work was being attributed to you.

Well it felt great! After looking at some of your past work, it was an ego boost for me. Not that I need it...  :o

Haha, you're the one giving me an ego boost, getting an ego boost from my own work! I'm a classic middle of the pack runner, often sharing the bottom rung of the podium in this contest, so you should aim to surpass me soon, there is a God Emperor of the Contest Crown up for stealing.  8)
I've really enjoyed the darker themes and new possibilities the contest has let me explore, with a surprising back up, given how many people here are not into the stuff I dig.
I was surprised people mistook our style, but then again you're new, and I read your story with complete ease, so that must mean we have some similarities.
My furious point all along was not on style, but on plot. Your story is too god-damned positive and nice for me to have written it on a subject like corpses.  :P

I really enjoyed your story btw. The only reason I didn't give you a vote was that I voted by strict use of corpses. If I didn't, I would have had too many stories on my hands to sort though. I voted only for run-of-the-mill dead bodies, but your was clearly fantastic (and oddly good natured!), so I truly enjoyed it, but didn't give my vote.
Aww, makes me sound unjustifiably cruel to my own eyes...  :-[
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »

Haha, you're the one giving me an ego boost, getting an ego boost from my own work! I'm a classic middle of the pack runner, often sharing the bottom rung of the podium in this contest, so you should aim to surpass me soon, there is a God Emperor of the Contest Crown up for stealing.  8)
I've really enjoyed the darker themes and new possibilities the contest has let me explore, with a surprising back up, given how many people here are not into the stuff I dig.
I was surprised people mistook our style, but then again you're new, and I read your story with complete ease, so that must mean we have some similarities.
My furious point all along was not on style, but on plot. Your story is too god-damned positive and nice for me to have written it on a subject like corpses.  :P

I really enjoyed your story btw. The only reason I didn't give you a vote was that I voted by strict use of corpses. If I didn't, I would have had too many stories on my hands to sort though. I voted only for run-of-the-mill dead bodies, but your was clearly fantastic (and oddly good natured!), so I truly enjoyed it, but didn't give my vote.
Aww, makes me sound unjustifiably cruel to my own eyes...  :-[

Not at all! We needed some kind of way to sort through all the awesome work that was produced last month, and my supernatural corpse probably didn't work in my favour for the traditionalists, which is absolutely fine. ^^ I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And yes, my stories can often be light-hearted, but every once in a while I can slip into the darkness and BOOM!...my parents and friends are worried about me when they read my work hahaha. Funny how many non-writers automatically assume that you're having personal issues when you're writing about dark subject matter. It's usually the opposite for me!

And I'm glad my little tale was an easy read. I aim for the Stephen King model - simplicity and an emphasis on story. My characters often need a bit of work, if I'm to be honest. But that'll come with time and practice :)

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
I wanna know the one person who was crazy enough to vote for me. I know I originally did a place hold vote for my own story while I was reading through and deciding the last story to vote for, but I changed it...so who voted for that? *confuzzled*
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »
Let's just leave King's name out of this conversation before I start dry-heaving, sweat abundantly, turn blotched-purple, grow tusks and puke lava.

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »
Let's just leave King's name out of this conversation before I start dry-heaving, sweat abundantly, turn blotched-purple, grow tusks and puke lava.

That sounds like something Stephen King would write...

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »

That sounds like something Stephen King would write...