Hidden Beauty
3 (2.9%)
Cú Sith
4 (3.9%)
Job Gone Wrong
1 (1%)
Memories
6 (5.9%)
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science?
11 (10.8%)
Some Called It Freedom
5 (4.9%)
Pit of Forgiveness
1 (1%)
Affinity
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread  (Read 34732 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »
My wife says "kerfuffled" all the time. Back in my counter-terrorism days, we used "nefarious" all the time, and actually needed the word  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
I would love it if you said flabbergasted in a conversation with your work colleagues.

I'm flabbergasted at your work or something like that hehe

picture me giggling because you don't think i talk the same way i post . . .

for example --

just about anyone at work:  "how are you doing, chris?"
me:  "peachy keen!" or "awesome!" or "rad!"

visiting vp of disney:  "tell me what you found in your research."
me:  "omg -- it's so badass!"

my boss, a vp:  "when you write emails to other executives, please use capital letters."
me:  "no.  it's part of my style!"

yeah.  not kidding.  those are LITERAL examples.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
Everyone is already guessing who wrote what. I should probably get to reading soon so I can join in all the fun.

EDIT: I want to do some guessing just based on story titles.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2016, 07:55:38 PM »
I'm flabbergasted by some people's choices.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 09:01:52 PM »
I'm flabbergasted by some people's choices.

you should make some flabbergasting choices of your own!

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
No one's guessed my story yet!  ;D Which makes perfect sense because I'm one of those newbies this month. Also it's impossible for me to guess who's who, so I'll sit back, grab myself a scotch and drink myself stupid as I wait and see if my favorite won the competition.

Also super impressed with the quality of writing. I love you guys and gals! Who needs to buy a book every few weeks when you have these awesome collections?  :)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Osahon

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2016, 09:14:10 PM »
So I just voted. I found it really hard to choose. A lot of good entries this month!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »
warning -- nerd talk ahead!

Spoiler for Hiden:

for my fellow nerds in the group, my next project is to load up all the authors who've posted a story this year, and dumping them through this algorithm:

https://github.com/ashishbaghudana/stylometry

that is, i think that's what i'm going to do.  i might have to find a library (because i sure as heck don't have time to write my own!) with fancier n-gram support.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
warning -- nerd talk ahead!

Spoiler for Hiden:

for my fellow nerds in the group, my next project is to load up all the authors who've posted a story this year, and dumping them through this algorithm:

https://github.com/ashishbaghudana/stylometry

that is, i think that's what i'm going to do.  i might have to find a library (because i sure as heck don't have time to write my own!) with fancier n-gram support.

Sounds nerdy.

I'll make my own choices, worry not, I was writing from work.

No one's guessed my story yet!  ;D Which makes perfect sense because I'm one of those newbies this month. Also it's impossible for me to guess who's who, so I'll sit back, grab myself a scotch and drink myself stupid as I wait and see if my favorite won the competition.

Which was your favorite this month?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »
Thanks m3m, that is a totally awesome table, dude,  am going to fill in a few right now. ;D

Also @Rukaio_Alter  I have a strong suspicion you have been around fairly often in recent months.  :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »
I'm very amused by what people think I wrote. Someone thinks I wrote Harry. That's a compliment because it was a good story, but if you study it : little girl gets what she wants. Scary guy is her pal. Bad guy gets what he deserves... Those aren't really my trademarks. That story is just too positive to be mine, hehe!

I'm surprised that things aren't more obvious for people on that regard. There are some things I'm the only one doing around here that should mark me out if I enter. I guess most people either don't mind and hence don't notice, or just didn't give it the thinking time required to add things up and file "XX" in the folder of "stuff only Nora thinks is cool".

Anyway, that doesn't mean I entered.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 12:11:10 AM »
so, in case anyone was wondering, we've had 46 authors (not counting anonymous) take part in our writing club this year.

just sayin'.

edit:  also, jmack, tebakutis, and myself are the three who've entered every month.  lanko was SO CLOSE!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:13:56 AM by m3mnoch »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »
so, in case anyone was wondering, we've had 46 authors (not counting anonymous) take part in our writing club this year.

just sayin'.

edit:  also, jmack, tebakutis, and myself are the three who've entered every month.  lanko was SO CLOSE!

Not FAIR. I entered every contest last year. But you didn't do praising statistics then huh!  >:(
Throw some recognition at me m3m!!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:18 AM »

just sayin'.

Not FAIR. I entered every contest last year. But you didn't do praising statistics then huh!  >:(

xoxo!

depending on how this works out, i may point it at last year too.  who knows?!?

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 12:47:25 AM »

just sayin'.

xoxo!

depending on how this works out, i may point it at last year too.  who knows?!?
Wow, imagine if ALL 46 entered one month - how good would that be ? Even better if it was Anonymous and we all had to guess again  ;D ;D ;D

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic