Hidden Beauty
3 (2.9%)
Cú Sith
4 (3.9%)
Job Gone Wrong
1 (1%)
Memories
6 (5.9%)
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science?
11 (10.8%)
Some Called It Freedom
5 (4.9%)
Pit of Forgiveness
1 (1%)
Affinity
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread  (Read 37478 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
[Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
It's time to vote on October's Writing Contest: Corpses.

We got 22 entries this month - wow!!!
Thanks to all of you for participating!

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your five favourite entries in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

The key for the numbers of votes is this: 1-5 entries: 1 vote, 5-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes, 16-19: 4 votes, 20-25: 5 votes, 26+: 6 votes

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in a few months.

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for taking the time to read the stories and vote! :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 10:07:40 AM »
Note: now this month it seems to end on 2nd December, so an extra day, hehe
I can't change that once set, but I don't mind, since there are so many stories ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:21 PM »
hrm.

ebook generation delayed!

our all-anonymous-author month blew up my script as the only "reliable" (and, i use that term very loosely) way to match story-to-author was by the author names.  i should have some time to fix it while i ride the train up to glendale this morning.

EDIT:

here we go!

===========================================================
kindle mobi:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/corpses-noauthor.mobi

generic epub:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/corpses-noauthor.epub

word document:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/corpses-noauthor.docx

critique sheet:
https://fantasyfactiontools.github.io/writing-contest/critiques-corpses.md
===========================================================

EDIT 2:
if you want to join in on the fun and try to guess who is the real author or what, submit your opinions!
http://m3mnoch.com/main/corpses/

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 07:04:02 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 12:09:18 AM »
Voted!  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 12:21:58 AM »
I've downloaded the mobi for the first time, nice fluke I had my eReader in (uploading some sweet Danish grammar!)

It looks very nice and crisp!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:31:16 AM »
Thanks for the docs, m3m and the crit template is very useful.

Been reading stories as they appeared, did re-read of ten this morning, had to be very hard-hearted and finally voted, at least we got five votes.  Congrats everyone who contributed,  that was a major effort.. Now the looooong wait for final results.  Good luck all.  8)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Captain of the Guard

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
" DONE" the Captain said.
The man walked with a limp, it defined him and his appearance, the rest of him was unremarkable .
  -The Realm  by George Dover

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
voted!

there was no controversy for me this time.  my top 2 (basically 'why isn't this published?!' and 'fantastic') tiers of stories numbered exactly 5.

the next tier ('great') was a massive swath of goodness -- wow.

overall, this has probably been the highest quality bag of stories i've ever seen on here.  i don't ever remember feeling such a strong "this story should be published" about anything we've had in previous contests.  holy cow.  it created a whole new voting tier at the top for me.

edit:  also, i have identified 9 authors that i feel strongly about it being their work.  2 of those i'm FOR SURE about.  gonna apply some math later and see how close i actually am.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:46:44 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 06:09:11 PM »
Voted - and have come to the conclusion I have no idea who wrote what. At all. Hell, I'm not even sure which is mine at this stage. I mean, I think I wrote it, but it sort of sounds like someone else's now  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »
also, i have identified 9 authors that i feel strongly about it being their work.  2 of those i'm FOR SURE about.  gonna apply some math later and see how close i actually am.
You can't just say that and not tell us who you think wrote which! Haven't even started reading yet myself. Guessing is going to be so much fun!  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
Voted - and have come to the conclusion I have no idea who wrote what. At all. Hell, I'm not even sure which is mine at this stage. I mean, I think I wrote it, but it sort of sounds like someone else's now  ;D

That's pretty understandable. You've not been reading these contests for this long. I've been doing them for 2 years, still consider myself a pretty "recent" addition, and only one story jumped in my face (screaming "Jmack wroooote meeeee"), and a couple others felt familiar, but not in a way I could entirely pin point. Plus we have a LOT of newbies muddling the results here. I'd be impressed if people guessed correctly more than 5 stories, without using writing recognition softwares.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 10:47:08 PM »

That's pretty understandable. You've not been reading these contests for this long. I've been doing them for 2 years, still consider myself a pretty "recent" addition, and only one story jumped in my face (screaming "Jmack wroooote meeeee"), and a couple others felt familiar, but not in a way I could entirely pin point. Plus we have a LOT of newbies muddling the results here. I'd be impressed if people guessed correctly more than 5 stories, without using writing recognition softwares.

I'm predictable.  :P ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »
Man I was really struggling with where to put that 5th vote... so much to love in the stories here!!!!

To be honest, I think I only have 4 or 5 of the story authors figured out.

I think I got @Gem_Cutter @tebakutis and @Nora nailed, but there were two I felt like @Jmack could have written and I'm only 80% sure I got @m3mnoch figured out.  There's one story in particular who I REALLY want to know who wrote it...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 11:32:56 PM »
Man I was really struggling with where to put that 5th vote... so much to love in the stories here!!!!

I think I got @Gem_Cutter @tebakutis and @Nora nailed, but there were two I felt like @Jmack could have written and I'm only 80% sure I got @m3mnoch figured out.  There's one story in particular who I REALLY want to know who wrote it...
Again with the not telling which you think is which! C'mon guys!  :P

Also, now I really want to know which one you really want to know the author of.  >:(
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »

Again with the not telling which you think is which! C'mon guys!  :P

Also, now I really want to know which one you really want to know the author of.  >:(

I have list of níne names against stories but it may change although I'm fairly sure of a couple.
If anyone is willing to take a guess on which is their own through  PM just say so, that 's one way of discussing without influencing anyone else's vote or guess.
ETA I have a feeling the Raptorisauruses may have an entry in this month, I wonder ?????
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:57:23 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic