Hidden Beauty
3 (2.9%)
CĂș Sith
4 (3.9%)
Job Gone Wrong
1 (1%)
Memories
6 (5.9%)
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science?
11 (10.8%)
Some Called It Freedom
5 (4.9%)
Pit of Forgiveness
1 (1%)
Affinity
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 11:30:55 AM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread  (Read 37263 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Voting Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
I voted for you this month, and since I only voted for 3 people, I bid you take it as as much of a compliment as you will (self bloated fellow writer rolling by...)
I think you've done some tremendous progress on your writing since your first subs here. Not saying you wrote crap, but your characterisation and mastery of the short format is much better now, your cast in this story felt very alive and with a complex back story I could have read a lot more about. Also the use of the physical corpse was very well done, so you had all my points this month!  ;)

i am SO swooning right now . . .

and can only respond at the moment with a very heartfelt, "thank you."

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »

;D ;D ;D
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #273 on: December 01, 2016, 05:58:18 PM »

;D ;D ;D

This entire convo feels like how I am with James Patterson. I read one Steven King book, and it...I didn't really like it too much. He strayed more into fantasy instead of horror, so that might be why being out of his zone, but it was really cliche, predictable, and really flat character wise.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »
King is the J. R. Ward of Horror. He write pulp frisson with darkity dark undertones for the broad public to enjoy and think they're being complex by reading his work. He's the king of mainstream horror, and the fact that he floods that section irks me.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #275 on: December 01, 2016, 06:50:19 PM »
I don't know much about that since I'm too wimpy for horror, but yeah. Sounding more like Patterson by the moment. I liked his maximum ride series while in middle school, but now I see him EVERYWHERE in the thriller area
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #276 on: December 01, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Thankyou to everybody for their congratulations and for their votes, I'm so glad you liked "Where there's a ill."  I'm only just in from work to pick up all the messages, so apologies for being the silent lurker even through the declaration of results.

I thought it was a fantastic month with some wonderfully imaginative and well written entries and I really wasn;t expecting to win.

I voted for
The Soulspeaker
Blink
Hoy Girl
Harry and
Memories

All of which I thought had a better chance than mine.  In the time I have been watching and contributing stories, the quality has been rising inexorably.

Also, congrats to Xiagan for the fiendishly intoxicating device of an anonymous month.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2016, 11:23:48 PM »
Congrats @TOMunro -- well deserved!!!!!!

There were so many good stories this month!  I really liked the one Stephen King wrote :) haha @Nora the way you feel about King is the way I feel about Sanderson :)  That said @Lordoftheword Harry was undisputably masterful.  I was guessing that one would actually win!!!! I also really enjoyed your heist story @shadowkat678 !  There were too many great stories this month, tho I didn't vote for it.

One of my favorites was The Grinning Man-- I thought it was really well done!!!  (I also thought you wrote it, @The Gem Cutter -- damn you for not writing poetry!!!)  My very favorite of the month was Weincawnathun by @m3mnoch with it's wildly entertaining well-executed dialogue though @Saraband 's brilliant Cu Sith with it's rich mythology and subtle darkness a close second.  Speaking of execution, i couldn't help but vote for "Gravity Part 2" by @tebakutis because it was just deliciously tense and absolutely thrilling.

I didn't vote for The Bridge Battle but it was driving me crazy trying to figure out who wrote it.  I thought it was some undeniably exciting, excellent action writing that I thought was completely awesome-- tho I had some critiques I could add to the critique thread. What it did well it did really really well tho, which made me really want to know the author! I just had too many to vote for!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:24:21 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2016, 01:23:22 AM »
Congratulations to @TOMunro !
I voted for Where there's a Will, The Soul Speaker, Fashion Monsters, Harry, and Memories.

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:57 AM »
I just realized I never said who all I voted for! Ah! XD

Bridge Battle, Blink, Harry, Where There's a Will, and The Soul Speaker were mine. It was really hard to pick though. I definitely agree on that part.