November 11, 2019, 11:28:20 PM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - THE GREAT REVEAL  (Read 9185 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - THE GREAT REVEAL
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »
There are three posts that remained anonymous, you can't assume things too fast.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
What a great reveal got 2 right out of 13 guesses as far as I can remember ;D Top game everyone
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »
@Lanko, are you behind one of the anon stories??  :P
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »

Who knows?  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »

Who knows?  ::)

You, for starters! And Xiagan for sure. After that, indeed, who knows...

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
Man, I'm terrible at guessing. I got like 1 right. Here were my guesses from what I (thought) I could identify.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I thought Jmack wrote "The Unidentified Corpse of Stony River, 1992". I was wrong!

I thought m3mnoch wrote "Harry" (mainly because of its similar to his Halloween story). I was wrong!

I thought Nora wrote "The Grinning Man". I was wrong!

I thought Lanko wrote "Pit of Forgiveness". I was wrong!

I thought Rukaio_Alter wrote "Graverobbing". I was ... right! :)

BTW, "Blink" and "Hoy Girl" were my two top stories. "Blink" because I *loved* the premise and the writing (I really want to know who wrote it!!!) and it was just the perfect horror story, and "Hoy Girl" because I just loved everything about it.

So nice job, Jmack, and whatever Anonymous person wrote Blink. PM me! I'll keep your secret! :)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
My list of guesses:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Raid - LightRunner
The Bridge Battle - Raptori
Where there's a will - Alex Hormann
The Soulspeaker - m3mnoch
Blink - Nora
Hoy Girl - Lordoftheword
Weincawnathun - NightWrite
The Grinning Man - Gem_Cutter
Fashion Monsters - Osahon
DRIN - Almighty Zael
Harry - Jmack
A Song for the Dead - Bradley Darewood
The Unidentified Corpse of Stony River, 1922 - Lady_Ty
Navigator - Tebakutis
Hidden Beauty - Crystallynnfairy
Cú Sith - Saraband
Job Gone Wrong - Mr.J
Memories - TOMunro
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science? - Rukaio_Alter
Some Called It Freedom - night_wrtr
Pit of Forgiveness - shadowkat
Affinity - Captain of the Guard

Oh well, I only got it right 3. And some false info from @xiagan eluded me in other stories  ::) On the other hand I feel that's more than 3 I got right  ::). And I switched @Crystallynnfairy out of Affinity in the last minute  >:(

On the other hand, I got @Saraband right, knew @TOMunro and @AlmightyZael were in, and I almost gave @Lordoftheword a wild guess for Harry. Damn. And I was also another one who didn't join the "Gem Cutter wrote prose this month" bandwagon (guess I should have) and the only author I thought who could pull The Bridge Battle off was @Raptori, though he only writes in 3rd person, but is a huge Hobb fan. Obviously, he didn't even enter the contest  ::)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:03:25 PM by Lanko »

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
NOT A SINGLE PERSON GUESSED ME RIGHT!

But I really did rush on this one. I feel like it could have been better if I hadn't started over 3+ times before rushing the ending. Eh. I didn't even guess for others, because I haven't been around long enough. They were all really good. Great job guys!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:20:14 PM by shadowkat678 »
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
now that voting is officially over, i wanted to write up a post about the results from the stylometry algorithm stuff i used to analyze the stories.

overall, it did terrible.  according to xiagan, it only got 4 of the entries correct:  me, rukaio, tebakutis, and gem cutter.

there are a few reasons for this, i think:

1) it really needs a large corpus of an author to be effective.  like, 50k words.  short stories just aren't long enough.

2) because it favored folks with larger bodies of work, it tried to assign the same people to everything.  therefore, i had to heavily interpret the results to get it so that jmack didn't write all of the stories.  which means it was subject to my own biases.

3) i only pulled stories from authors who wrote one this year.  i know of at least three submitting authors who have posted stories in the past, but haven't entered one this year.  it's hard to find them without any corpus at all.

anyhow, this is the final list that i sent to xiagan for cross-checking:
Spoiler for Hiden:

The Raid - wakarimasen  (maybe Nerf)
The Bridge Battle - Gem_Cutter
Where there's a will - jauerbach
The Soulspeaker - Alex Hormann  (maybe ArcaneArtsVelho)
Blink - SJBudd
Hoy Girl - WarbossTae
Weincawnathun - m3mnoch
The Grinning Man - Blackthorn
Fashion Monsters - Captain of the Guard (low, low, super-low confidence)
DRIN - Henry Dale
Harry - Nora
A Song for the Dead - Bradley Darewood (also low, low, super-low confidence)
The Unidentified Corpse of Stony River, 1922 - Saraband
Navigator - tebakutis
Hidden Beauty - night_wrtr
Cú Sith - coldbloodedsouth  (low confidence)
Job Gone Wrong - Mr.J
Memories - Venandiaer
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science? - Rukaio_Alter
Some Called It Freedom - Hedin
Pit of Forgiveness - SugoiMe  (maybe Doctor Chill)
Affinity - Jmack

also, for any of the braver souls in the group, i can show you the log that my scripts outputted.  you can kind of follow along with how the program is thinking about the stories as you look at it.

here's the log:
http://m3mnoch.com/static/ff-books/corpse-log.txt

for each story, it's got three basic sections:
1) MOST PHRASE MATCHES BY SCORE -- this is HOW MANY of the most common clusters of three consecutive words get matched.  these are those "n-gram" things.  so, "how often" the author matches.

for example, "i walked up to her", gets broken up like this:
"i walked up"
"walked up to"
"up to her"

2) BEST AVERAGE QUALITY PHRASE MATCH BY SCORE -- this is a magical "distance" measurement that connotes how closely the author matches all of those common clusters of words to where they should be.  kind of.  sort of.  so, "how good" each match is.

3) INTERESTING AUTHORS -- authors who do things like show up high in both of the "how often" and "how good" lists above.  or authors who are outliers by scoring way, way higher in one of the lists than anyone else.  so, authors the algorithm finds interesting.

and, finally, the basic way to read all this data is:
- the closest to the beginning of the "MOST PHRASE MATCHES BY SCORE" and "BEST AVERAGE QUALITY PHRASE MATCH BY SCORE" lists, the better the author match.
- the "INTERESTING AUTHORS" summarizes the results of the two lists like so:
    - outliers are the top entry whose number is way over and above the other authors in extreme cases.
    - finishes are how close to the front of each of the two lists they end up.
    - total is another magic number that represents how close to the front of both lists the author is.

anyway.  obviously this isn't an exact science and ended up as a way for me to learn about a new data analysis technique.

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 06:54:44 PM »
Okay. I really do want to know. What does Mr. I normally write that gave him so many guesses on my short? Maybe we could do a team up or something. Everyone seemed so sure. Like. I've been curious ever since you put that thing up and people started putting in guesses.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
Okay. I really do want to know. What does Mr. I normally write that gave him so many guesses on my short? Maybe we could do a team up or something. Everyone seemed so sure. Like. I've been curious ever since you put that thing up and people started putting in guesses.

Hah, for that one when I started putting my guesses there were like four guesses for him already there. I couldn't pinpoint it on anyone, so I simply joined the bandwagon too, trusting others to know better.

I'm an awesome detective.

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:50 PM »

Hah, for that one when I started putting my guesses there were like four guesses for him already there. I couldn't pinpoint it on anyone, so I simply joined the bandwagon too, trusting others to know better.

I'm an awesome detective.

Ugh. This is gonna keep bugging me now. XD

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »
Did better than I thought last night, some of my guesses didn't even enter, but out of 13 guesses these were right 

The Bridge Battle   The Gem Cutter
Hoy Girl   Jmack
A Song for the Dead   Alex Hormann
Navigator   tebakutis
Is it Really Graverobbing if it's for Science?   Rukaio_Alter
Some Called It Freedom   Lightrunner
Affinity      Crystallynnfairy

Think you need to go back and read a few of Mr J's  stories, it may be because he often does a twist at the very end, but so do many others. I chose Bradley for your story, because it reminded me of one he wrote for an anthology also set in a service station, but quite quite different. Liked the story anyway even though I totally guessed you wrong, as you know. Good one ;D

@tebakutis of course space gives you away and it was a great story, but like Nora it reminded me of Gravity and I hated that so much it finally knocked you out in my last round, which shows how random and illogical the basis of some choices are.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:27:27 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 11:27:58 PM »

Damn you Gem Cutter-- I was sure you wrote the long poem!!!!!
Well... at least I got Tebakutis right!!!!

I basically sucked at guessing.  I'm dying to know who the one person who guessed mine correctly was :)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
Damn you Gem Cutter-- I was sure you wrote the long poem!!!!!
Yes, and of course, I did not hit the like button on that one, so that it would appear that I was being modest and not liking my own work. Dance puppets! Daaaaance!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell