October 20, 2019, 10:50:52 PM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread  (Read 30326 times)

Offline Lordoftheword

Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
We all do it. All the time, and for all artists. We only ever build on the work of others. It's unavoidable. As a painter you study paintings, as a writer you study books and read. You can't miss the influence of others.
Even in art I was profusely invited by teachers to drop the act : "you're not gonna invent anything, chances are, it's already been done". The idea is to do it anyway, do it you way, do it for yourself.

But inspiration that goes to close to previous works is always problematic, if only because people might yell plagiarism, copy-cat and whatnot.
Not the problem here. I think Gravity just was too big a blockbuster with too thin a plot. It's so hyper-defined by Clooney's enigmatic appearance, I think it might have seriously ruined the idea for me.  ???

Yeah I ran to this same problem when writing my novel. My novel was an idea I had in the works for ten or so years, and when I'd finally released the damn thing I had people coming out the woodworks screaming "Hunger Games!". In fact, the novel is nothing like Hunger Games, but the first chapter or two might have you believing so if you refused to read further.

Thing is, I've never read the Hunger Games, nor do I plan on doing so now that I've seen the movies. My inspiration came from movies like Spartacus and Gladiator. I'm absolutely enthralled with the idea of gladiatorial combat, especially the 1v1 environment with the roaring crowd. Tournaments and competitions have always held a special place in my heart ever since I was young, and it was a little disheartening at first having people call me out for "copy-catting" hit series.

But what your teacher said, @Nora, is so true: We can never re-invent something. Almost every story has been written, the only variances being different characters and environs. All you can do is give it your own flavour, and just maybe that flavour is something the reading world will truly enjoy :)

Okay, done! Off my chest. /movingon
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
I'm sorry anonymity kept you from replying – I wouldn't have made such a comment if I hadn't feared that maybe the author didn't realise the premises were so close. If it's voluntary it's one thing, if it's unknowingly, that's another.

Oh no worries, Nora! I didn't want to imply that your comment upset me - to the contrary, I was simply amused you picked up on where I pulled inspiration from and wanted to let you know you nailed it. Heh.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »
I am curious, given the passionate discussions I've seen on gender and gender issues - did anyone notice that my protag's gender is not given in my story? Curious if everyone assumed s/he was male or female? If you did notice, did that take away from anything?

ETA: I chose a couple of verbs I don't recall being used with females (bellow, etc.), but that aren't specifically gender-based, so it wasn't crystal-clear and I think some of those kinds of choices might encourage a male interpretation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:48:30 PM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
I am curious, given the passionate discussions I've seen on gender and gender issues - did anyone notice that my protag's gender is not given in my story? Curious if everyone assumed s/he was male or female? If you did notice, did that take away from anything?

I read him as a dude, but I'm a dude! So no surprise there. It did not influence me one way or the other.

By way of comparison, I tried the exact same thing with my Dystopia story (written in first-person, gender neutral). I never did a poll, but I was curious how many dudes read my protag as a dude and how many ladies ready my protag as a lady, since I never specified. It's always an interesting experiment when doing first-person.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Read him as a bloke as well and never thought twice about it

I did the same in my Young Love story were the alien is an it, and the cyborg lover is the first pov and his/her gender never revealed.
It all amused me tremendously because this is absolutely impossible to do in French.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:47:15 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »
Read him as a bloke as well and never thought twice about it

I did the same in my Young Love story were the alien is an it, and the cyborg lover is the first pov and his/her gender never revealed.
It all amused me tremendously because this is absolutely impossible to do in French.

Ooh, I never thought about that! Is that because French includes gender in words? I know in Spanish (which I learned a bit of in college) the words are gendered: so a small man is "pequeno" and a small woman is "pequena". Does it work the same in French?

It's also one of the reasons I have to add gender tags to every NPC I create for my day job, even though I'm writing in English. We also have to make sure our translators have the info they need when they're translating/localizing everything for other countries, so we add gender tags even though we don't use them.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
I think French has different verb forms, at least in some tenses, for fem. and masc.? It's been a while and I did so poorly in French the school tested me and determined I'd never speak a foreign language. Ironic.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2016, 09:16:59 PM »
All French nouns are gendered and adjectives accordingly change. Verbs stay same. Le bon jour =m =the good day,
la belle patisserie = f= the lovely small cake.
Nora could do this so much better but that's the idea :) so the adjectives and the "the" have to match the gender of the noun. For feminine nouns le bon would change to la bonne or for masculine ones the la belle would change to le beau.
It gets worse. ;)

PS but I do acknowledge trying to learn English sucks more.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 09:19:03 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2016, 09:25:28 PM »
Exactly as Lady Ty points out.

With the added twist that :

I am a strict lawyer.

Becomes :

Je suis une avocate stricte. Or Je suis un avocat strict.

So first pov compulsorily reveals your gender, while it never does in English.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:21 PM »
Oui, le genre est un énorme défi por moi avec le français

Gem Cutter-- I just assumed your protag was female.  I don't know why but I never once questioned it...