August 05, 2020, 05:01:27 PM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread  (Read 39949 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »
Wow.. 22!

I thought the whole point of the Anonymity was to prove that people didn't vote for "names" and didn't vote for new or old writers. So why are people putting out hints and " I wrote one" even before the thread closes and the voting started? Are people going to 'fess up before voting is finished?

Can't the guessing be done by some kind of quiz table, such as the voting with numbers for the stories to be entered against names who agree they entered and no body but Mods know see the results or answers, and no hints until the results are announced?

Bit confused here - what is meant to be happening?

Yeah that's why I was thinking maybe having a quick bet after the voting closes.... and if you get everyone right I win like a million dollars! (since I really need a million dollars I think i should definitely be the one who wins).

So... another inappropriate thought:

I know we don't do critiques but i wonder if there'd be a place for a happy-feely rainbows and unicorns sort of thread where you gush about rando things you liked about various entries.... or maybe if it would be kosher to do it on this thread? These are really good reads and I keep finding myself wanting to tell people what it was that made me like them so much!!!!  Would that potentially mess up the voting too?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:18:47 PM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »
Wow.. 22!

I know we don't do critiques but i wonder if there'd be a place for a happy-feely rainbows and unicorns sort of thread where you gush about rando things you liked about various entries.... or maybe if it would be kosher to do it on this thread? These are really good reads and I keep finding myself wanting to tell people how what it was that made me like them so much!!!!

We tried last month to let the winner open the Critique Thread... but actually forgot what to do if he/she is absent or don't show up for that!

I guess I will just open it, I'm sure Sugoi will forgive me  ::)

EDIT: Err... wrong contest thought this was pirates. I'm drunk matey!  8)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:23:31 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2016, 11:22:34 PM »
Well, we have a critique thread whenever someone goes and opens one. So since we have an Anonymous month, I assume opening it early wouldn't matter.
HOWEVER, everyone who got excited about the prospect of anonymity here seemed to wish it so that we would be less influenced in our voting. Not sure how early reviewing, be it positive or critiques, would influence votes.

I personally don't care either way.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking more of "shameless flattery" (which might draw more new people) than critiques.  But you're right, it could possibly influence the votes.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking more of "shameless flattery" (which might draw more new people) than critiques.  But you're right, it could possibly influence the votes.

Yeah, might be something that can be added after the fact since it has the potential for influence.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
Don't forget to write it down somewhere and save it so you don't forget if you are that passionate about the stories!

What does @xiagan thinks about this?

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2016, 03:45:20 AM »
Wow.. 22!

I know we don't do critiques but i wonder if there'd be a place for a happy-feely rainbows and unicorns sort of thread where you gush about rando things you liked about various entries.... or maybe if it would be kosher to do it on this thread? These are really good reads and I keep finding myself wanting to tell people how what it was that made me like them so much!!!!

We tried last month to let the winner open the Critique Thread... but actually forgot what to do if he/she is absent or don't show up for that!

I guess I will just open it, I'm sure Sugoi will forgive me  ::)

EDIT: Err... wrong contest thought this was pirates. I'm drunk matey!  8)

;D ;D ;D Did you just Beam Up to join Eli???

Agree crits could influence votes in either direction, fairer to do when voting has closed.

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2016, 03:52:21 AM »
* xiagan thinks that we shouldn't open a critique (or flattery) thread before the voting has closed. But you totally should follow Lanko's advice and write it down!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Crystallynnfairy

« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
 :)
Hello! I wanted to say hello so that those playing guess the writer would know a new person entered a story.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2016, 03:14:09 PM »
:)
Hello! I wanted to say hello so that those playing guess the writer would know a new person entered a story.

Terrific!

*tears up his notes and starts all over*
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2016, 12:38:38 AM »
Pardon my double-post, but I wanted to thank @Crystallynnfairy for being a good sport, and encourage her and any other new people to post an introduction so we can gather innuendo, err, 'background' to facilitate our ridicule, err, 'critique' of their writing with greater viciousness, err, 'nuanced observation.'  ;D

All kidding aside, very excited to see new people submitting stories/poems, and look forward to learning more about you and your styles. If you are interested to share some of your background, we do have an introductions section: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/introductions/

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your stuff
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:49:11 AM by Gem_Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
Mmmh, I wonder if the writer of that last entry saw Gravity? I really like it but I had a dread feeling the moment the premise started becoming familiar.

p.s : I did not write it...

Haha, I can finally respond to this after a month of silence!

It seems the majority totally have my writing style pegged, as I did indeed write "Navigator". I was really struggling to come up with a story for Corpses - because, as with many others, my mind was repeatedly and stubbornly latching onto a supernatural corpse, and I was trying to find a story to do that involved a corpse that was *not* supernatural (which is why I loved "Hoy Girl" so much ... it really was a brilliant use of a mundane corpse).

Anyway, it was down to the wire, maybe five days left, and I watched an episode of Robotech (it is now on Netflix!) where Lisa Hayes was flying in a two-person fighter with her pilot. They get in a dogfight and her pilot gets killed, so now she's (briefly) in a Veritech with a corpse in a seat behind her. I thought that was incredibly creepy, being trapped in a damaged fighter with a dead guy, unable to fly (Lisa isn't a pilot, so I flipped the idea to be a pilot who doesn't know here to go).

That was part one of coming up with the story.

Part two was old ghost stories, particularly involving downed flights. I remembered a ghost story from decades ago regarding the crew of a doomed flight that went down in the Florida Everglades. The pilots crashed because there was a malfunctioning height warning or something, and they (and everyone on board) were killed.

There were ghost stories (supposedly confirmed by flight crew, if you believe the Internet) of the ghosts of the pilots of that flight returning to warn future flights and crews of problems. For instance, supposedly the captain of the flight's ghost appeared to flight crew on another flight and said "There's going to be a fire" before vanishing. It turned out the airplane's stove had a short or something, and would have caught fire in case they hadn't checked it. So, I loved the idea of the ghost of a pilot reappearing on other flights to try to warn other flight crews of danger.

Finally, just as Nora speculated (you were right!) since we weren't supposed to have a supernatural explanation, I seized on Gravity's

Spoiler for Hiden:
"did George Clooney actually come back or was Sandra Bullock oxygen-deprived and hallucinated"

idea so that I could leave it up to your personal interpretation as to what happened when Martinez heard Hart's voice. Did her ghost come back to warn her fellow soldier and get him home? Or did Martinez get so oxygen-deprived that he hallucinated something from his subconscious (remember, he *did* see the briefing on the constellations ... he just didn't consciously remember it). Personally, I'm comfortable with either explanation and wanted to let people draw their own conclusions.

So yeah, shamelessly pulling from other stories for inspiration, but that's what we do sometimes!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
Aye, of course, we take inspiration all the time! And again, as I said before, it was very well written, and I was conflicted as to whether it was by you or not, because I was surprised in your plot choice.

Of course we can always trace our inspirations, and sometimes more than most. When we had the topic "Nightmare", I wrote of one man's trip through his own drug infused, multi layered nightmare, knowing he's a professional 'dream-caster' – I took my distances from Inception, but my views of lounges where people come to drug up and dream good dreams at the hand of dream-weavers could very well be summed up like that :

So, of course I understand. It's only that, in this case, when I read the very gripping story, and started to have the crawlies from the idea of a guy getting to die out in his ship with his friend's corpse behind him, the corpse spoke up, and my alarms went *uhuh... hope this isn't going that way*. So when it did go that way, I was disappointed because I had foreseen the entire story, from way too early on.

I don't usually guess your stories, or they often centre a lot more about the character development, like that great one with the girl lost in space and sure she's gonna die out here (young love, was it?). That's character centred, no matter if you get your inspiration from half a dozen stories about space walks gone wrong, there must be heaps of them out there.
Here the plot didn't grip because I recognized Gravity's premise before any character story could truly grip me. Let it be said, I strongly disliked Gravity. "Character stranded in space needs to survive, dead fellow seemingly come back from the dead to help them survive it all" was just too specific for me, even though its not what I disliked in Gravity.
If you took the time to develop the story, and work on the character and the true sci fi aspects, I would very probably read it and enjoy it, I really dig your style and find your characters well shaped and developped. Here it just... made me worry early on, and I got more focused on whether my fears of predicting would come true than on enjoying the premise.
Really it's a mishap, more than a fault on your part, and I'm glad your story was still voted on to put you mid-pack, because it deserves it, objectively.

Also it might be due to the fact that I'm a very easy spectator. I gasp at most twists and spins, and rarely guess the murderer of any whodunnit early on. Seeing through the plot is something I'm not accustomed to at all. It might have played a large role in my views there.

I'm sorry anonymity kept you from replying – I wouldn't have made such a comment if I hadn't feared that maybe the author didn't realise the premises were so close. If it's voluntary it's one thing, if it's unknowingly, that's another.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:47:18 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
Mmmh, I wonder if the writer of that last entry saw Gravity? I really like it but I had a dread feeling the moment the premise started becoming familiar.

p.s : I did not write it...

Haha, I can finally respond to this after a month of silence!

It seems the majority totally have my writing style pegged, as I did indeed write "Navigator". I was really struggling to come up with a story for Corpses - because, as with many others, my mind was repeatedly and stubbornly latching onto a supernatural corpse, and I was trying to find a story to do that involved a corpse that was *not* supernatural (which is why I loved "Hoy Girl" so much ... it really was a brilliant use of a mundane corpse).

Anyway, it was down to the wire, maybe five days left, and I watched an episode of Robotech (it is now on Netflix!) where Lisa Hayes was flying in a two-person fighter with her pilot. They get in a dogfight and her pilot gets killed, so now she's (briefly) in a Veritech with a corpse in a seat behind her. I thought that was incredibly creepy, being trapped in a damaged fighter with a dead guy, unable to fly (Lisa isn't a pilot, so I flipped the idea to be a pilot who doesn't know here to go).

That was part one of coming up with the story.

Part two was old ghost stories, particularly involving downed flights. I remembered a ghost story from decades ago regarding the crew of a doomed flight that went down in the Florida Everglades. The pilots crashed because there was a malfunctioning height warning or something, and they (and everyone on board) were killed.

There were ghost stories (supposedly confirmed by flight crew, if you believe the Internet) of the ghosts of the pilots of that flight returning to warn future flights and crews of problems. For instance, supposedly the captain of the flight's ghost appeared to flight crew on another flight and said "There's going to be a fire" before vanishing. It turned out the airplane's stove had a short or something, and would have caught fire in case they hadn't checked it. So, I loved the idea of the ghost of a pilot reappearing on other flights to try to warn other flight crews of danger.

Finally, just as Nora speculated (you were right!) since we weren't supposed to have a supernatural explanation, I seized on Gravity's

Spoiler for Hiden:
"did George Clooney actually come back or was Sandra Bullock oxygen-deprived and hallucinated"

idea so that I could leave it up to your personal interpretation as to what happened when Martinez heard Hart's voice. Did her ghost come back to warn her fellow soldier and get him home? Or did Martinez get so oxygen-deprived that he hallucinated something from his subconscious (remember, he *did* see the briefing on the constellations ... he just didn't consciously remember it). Personally, I'm comfortable with either explanation and wanted to let people draw their own conclusions.

So yeah, shamelessly pulling from other stories for inspiration, but that's what we do sometimes!

I've done stuff like that. Taking an idea that's already there and building off it lets you come up with some really cool twists.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »
We all do it. All the time, and for all artists. We only ever build on the work of others. It's unavoidable. As a painter you study paintings, as a writer you study books and read. You can't miss the influence of others.
Even in art I was profusely invited by teachers to drop the act : "you're not gonna invent anything, chances are, it's already been done". The idea is to do it anyway, do it you way, do it for yourself.

But inspiration that goes to close to previous works is always problematic, if only because people might yell plagiarism, copy-cat and whatnot.
Not the problem here. I think Gravity just was too big a blockbuster with too thin a plot. It's so hyper-defined by Clooney's enigmatic appearance, I think it might have seriously ruined the idea for me.  ???