July 18, 2019, 08:39:05 PM

Author Topic: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread  (Read 27410 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: [Oct 2016] - Corpses - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »
An idea! I have an idea!

Now I just need some words . . .

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 11:41:18 PM »
What We Do In The Shadows is awesome. However I'm unsure whether vampires quite count as corpses? Do they? Depends on the lore, but I'd not dare to go down that way.
Yea I tried to find a gif of the zombie in that film dancing but couldn't get one. :(

Ahaha, him?

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
Question...I know you said no posting, but could we put it up on a social media for help with proof reading, then take it down shortly after?
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline Osahon

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
Totally confused with this theme. Is it that corpses must be featured in the story or that there should be a character that is a corpse? In that case, do zombies count? 'Cos i have a great idea for a story but it only features corpses and they do play a part in the story, but more as side pieces or props

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »
Relevant rule:

2. One or more corpses must play a crucial role.

That's very open, and the rules are interpreted pretty generously most of the time anyway. I think zombies would definitely count, so I'd say go for it!  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 08:23:43 PM »
If I post a zombie apocalypse story I fully blame AMC for bombarding me with Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead commercials....

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »
Question...I know you said no posting, but could we put it up on a social media for help with proof reading, then take it down shortly after?

Bumping my question. :)
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 08:44:37 PM »

Bumping my question. :)
Rule 7 states that it can't be published somewhere else before. If you post it somewhere, it is published.
If we are talking about a rough draft or parts - no worries, but not the full story.

I consciously didn't mention zombies because that's a theme on its own.
So please only dead or presumed dead corpses and no undead. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »

NO UNDEAD?

Aww.

Well, time to rethink my story idea. :)  Also, good clarification!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »

so . . .

dead:
Spoiler for Hiden:

presumed dead:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »

NO UNDEAD?

Aww.

Well, time to rethink my story idea. :)  Also, good clarification!
Let's keep them for another month. :)
Plus, I think it is harder but probably more scary/funny if we don't have yet another undead. ;)

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 09:59:18 PM »
But what if it's dead, but reanimated, and not technically a zombie or true undead, through the power of magic????

Because I totally believe that should count. It's revolving around a dead body. It's not alive, or even undead, but used as a puppet. No consciousness. No thoughts. No desires. No instincts. That should count as a valid loophole, right? I really need that to count. Please let that count.

This is the first good thing I've done in months...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:05:10 PM by shadowkat678 »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 10:05:49 PM »
But what if it's presumed dead, but reanimated, and not technically a zombie, through the power of magic????

Because I totally believe that should count. It's revolving around a dead body. It's not alive, or even undead, but used as a puppet. No consciousness. No thoughts. No desires. No instincts. That should count, right? I really need that to count. This is the first good thing I've done in months...

The boss explained, but ultimately the choice will be in votes. Write your own corpse story. If it's a corpse story in your eyes, maybe it'll be to others. You can end up a little off topic, and you'll get less votes and that's it.
You know, the month when we had to write a fairy tale, everyone wrote "once upon a time", and I wrote about a little girl bashing a fairy she caught stealing in her garden to learn where it found her dog's collar (since fairies are little thieves of bright things) only to go on a short adventure where she learns her backyard fairy ate her damn dog. I had fun with it, and people didn't vote for it, but no one picked at me saying it wasn't a fairytale... If ya know what I mean?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Maybe...maybe I can try to write two and then decide...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:34:07 PM by shadowkat678 »

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 03:48:27 AM »
But what if it's dead, but reanimated, and not technically a zombie or true undead, through the power of magic????

Because I totally believe that should count. It's revolving around a dead body. It's not alive, or even undead, but used as a puppet. No consciousness. No thoughts. No desires. No instincts. That should count as a valid loophole, right? I really need that to count. Please let that count.

This is the first good thing I've done in months...
Why shouldn't it count? An animated corpse is not undead and it sounds like a cool story (hope you didn't reveal too much of it).