April 11, 2021, 02:25:33 AM

Author Topic: The Steel Remains Week 4: Finished!  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
The Steel Remains Week 4: Finished!
« on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
I don't have notes. :( But I do remember, I absolutely loved the end of this book. I love the idea that we have been following the rise of a dark lord and I'm curious to see how Ringil is in the next book. I am going to try to add more specific comments later when I have my book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline DBASKLS

• Chrestomanci
  • UK
Re: The Steel Remains Week 4: Finished!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »
Hmm. I didn't feel that engaged with this book. I wasn't really bothered by the characters and as the plot pace was slow I sort of lost interest a bit. Although it did pick up a bit towards the end it wasn't enough to make me want to read the next book.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Jeni

• Another Gariath fan
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
Really enjoyed this last part.  :D

It appears that Takavach is a busy guy...making sure that certain players are in the right places for whatever game he is playing. Presumably this has something to do with the mysterious Dark Lord?. ... And does Dark Lord just mean some new evil overlord type dude - or is it a more literal term and it will turn out that Archeth isn't the only Kiriath left after all?? I guess I'm just gonna have to get hold of the next book to find out  :D

This was the fastest paced part of the book...and the most fun. Once Egar bumped into Ringil it all kicked off and after they joined forces with Archeth it didn't really stop till the end. I was happy with the ending... we got a lot more closure than I was expecting and it felt like a good place to stop before the next part of the story gets going.

And... I am going to continue with this series....I'm intrigued about what is happening to Ringil, what Takavach is up to and who/what the Dark Lord is and I am fascinated by the world(s) this all takes place in and the curious mix of races that inhabit it.  :)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:03 PM »
I'm intrigued about what is happening to Ringil, what Takavach is up to and who/what the Dark Lord is and I am fascinated by the world(s) this all takes place in and the curious mix of races that inhabit it.  :)
Yay! Someone else with a reaction similar to mine. I actually felt like Ringil is the dark lord. I actually thought I posted something more about it, but not seeing it here or in my notes.  :-\
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

• Scottish Friction
  • Ta'veren
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Finally finished this and really I didn't enjoy it. This section definitely was better paced and the ending was kinda intriguing. The potential with the Dark Lord angle is there but unfortunately Morgan did such a poor job with the pacing and plot for this first book that I really can't be bothered to keep going.

What actually is Archeth's second name? Every time it's mentioned on the audiobook it sounds utterly ridiculous.
Make Another World.

Offline AnneLyle

• Gentlewoman Bastard
  • Auror
  • Cambridge, UK
    • Personal blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
What actually is Archeth's second name? Every time it's mentioned on the audiobook it sounds utterly ridiculous.

Indamaninarmal. A bit of a mouthful, but no more ridiculous than, say, most of the Sri Lankan cricket team's names :)

(I mentally pronounce it "INdaman-ee-NARmal")
Elizabethan fantasy trilogy The Alchemist of SoulsThe Merchant of Dreams and The Prince of Lies out now from Angry Robot Books!