The Dead James - Alex Hormann
3 (17.6%)
Seedships - Carter
4 (23.5%)
THE FAR UNKNOWN - Jmack
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 01, 2019, 09:16:56 AM

Author Topic: [Nov 2018] - Ships - Voting Thread  (Read 2079 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: [Nov 2018] - Ships - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 09:18:58 PM »
Congrats, @Carter and @Jenny HJ! It's cool to have an old regular and a new contest member sharing a win. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 01:12:03 AM »
And I strike again, voting for the top runners!

Thanks @Carter for your vote. I also voted for you, but when I said was story was great but left me utterly confused, it's you I meant!
Is the MC a deep forest agent? Did she remotely doom the ships? Or is the goal for the forest to follow the humans? Or is she actually good and I totally misunderstood her actions? Please tell me!!

Alex, I loved the twist ending. Not surprising per say, but very satisfying and visually pleasing, in my mind's eye.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 03:44:34 AM »
Congrats on the great start to the New Year @Carter and @Jenny HJ!

@Jenny HJ your story got my vote. It was so good. After reading it I sat there thinking 'well, that's going to be pretty hard to beat, if not impossible.' And it turned out to be the case. I felt the rush of that story, amazing action piece I don't really expect in 1500 words. Nice twist at the end too!  :)

@Alex Hormann got my second vote for that wickedly atmospheric tale; and while I did enjoy all the stories here, Jenny and Alex's really stood out to me.
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 07:35:54 AM »
Thanks guys!! What a great start to the year!
I’m glad you liked Georgie too. She is nagging at me now to tell more of her story so I think this might not be the last I see of her!

I haa a weirdness with my votes- voted early then it looked as if it wanted me to vote again- so It may have lost mine. I can’t see my voting to remind me, but it also wouldn’t let me vote again.
I voted for @Carter and @Nora if I remember right, but @Alex Hormann was also in my deliberation. So when all votes are spoken for if they don’t match it will be my wonky vote I guess 😏.
I loved all the stories this month.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
Congrats to the winner(s!), and thanks to anyone who voted for me. :D

My first vote went to @Jake Baelish , who crafted a really compelling story mostly through dialogue.

And my other to @Slaykomimi . Your language is improving massively, and even though it was a little rough I thought you did an amazing job of creating an atmosphere.

Offline ShadowKnight

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 09:59:54 PM »
Congrats to @Jenny HJ and @Carter!

My favourite story this month was @Carter's - compelling and mysterious all the way through.
My second vote went to @Jake Baelish, though I enjoyed the other stories too.