Not As Empty As We Think - Poppa Fred
1 (2.2%)
Waste - ArcaneArtsVelho
4 (8.9%)
The Discovery - Raptori & Saurus
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 01, 2016, 06:56:25 PM

Author Topic: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Voting Thread  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »
3 (random, not in order) stories left that I must read today and vote.
I already have 3 I *really really* want to vote for, and 2 I really want to vote for... argh.
You guys make things always so difficult ;D

We do it on purpose  ;)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »
Voted!

My favorite was from an author whom I've never voted for. I like that!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 07:22:16 PM »
Done!
Voted for 3 "5 star" stories, but then have 6 stories with 4.5 stars...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
whew, bea...

that means 70% of the stories this month were 4.5 stars or more?!?

quality month, yo!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 11:29:57 PM »
Yep, they were all quite different, but most really were top-notch for me :)
And those that had a lower score were mostly for small things, like me not knowing that was an ending (ending abruptly), or not caring much about the characters.
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 12:31:32 AM »
And those that had a lower score were mostly for small things, like me not knowing that was an ending (ending abruptly), or not caring much about the characters.

I'm probably in trouble.
I'm not sure I cared much about my characters.  :o
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:46:25 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 12:43:01 AM »

I'm probably in trouble.
I'm not I cared much about my characters.  :o
Well ours barely had a character at all, and it ends abruptly. Plus the beast is kinda tacked on to the end instead of central to the story... so if you're in trouble, we're screwed! Not really sure we should have submitted it in the end really.

As usual I haven't even started reading them yet...  :-[
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »
No, it was *me* not caring, not the writer.
Oh, come on, I'll tell you who you were after the vote closes... writers, such sensitive creatures ::) ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
There just after the sympathy vote don't fall for it or even worse the pity vote lol
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:26:52 AM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 10:45:26 AM »
9 voters so far, one story with 7 votes, one with 5. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
9 voters so far, one story with 7 votes, one with 5. :)

Wow. I know stats like that don't usually hold to the end, but 7 of 9?

oh, look what just happened there, 7 of 9, get it?
star trek?
right?

everyone, stop voting. this result has to stand cuz it's just too cool

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
I haven't had a chance to read them yet, let alone vote so it may stand for a while but I will vote before it closes. ;D
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »
voted.

and as we near the end of the envelope I hope nobody minds me posting my mini-crits in this thread. I'm trying to be useful and honest with these, but as usual - if i offend then let me know and I won't critique your stuff.

Merry Christmas Kids

Spoiler for Hiden:
Mini crits Mighty Beasts

@Mr.J
Proud Son

Great opening line. In fact, strong prose all the way through. Nice, flowing sentences. Strong voice. I had to go through some of the author’s posts to identify who they were as it was great quality and I didn’t recognise the name so much. Thoroughly depressing atmosphere in the house. Nice graphic chicken decapitation, though a missing d on toppled broke the sentence. Couple of the descriptions could have been a little less flowery but done the same job.
i.e. A sandy haired scrubby thing, white as chalk with a bulging skeleton seeping through his thin skin
could have been A sandy haired scrubby thing, his skeleton straining through chalky white skin.
There were a few nuts like this that could have been tightened, but in general that was a solidly built story (if a bit dour for my taste).

@m3mnoch

ooo… a picture…
Nice to see we’re eschewing starting our stories with names. Opening sentence felt a bit like the sap was snapping, which disjointed me a bit right at the start.
I liked the pacing but sometimes there was a little repetition within a few sentences; snow, bear that sort of thing.  Enjoyed the humanity the author brought to their beast, its sorrow on its discovery. It was a nice concept. Not sure a face can ripple with dread though… slacken? Tense? Don’t think it needed Adax to run at the end, I went from thinking he was worried and hurrying to thinking he was terrified and fleeing.

@tebakutis

A name in the first paragraph. For some reason that’s really sticking out for me now. I’m probably developing a sort of phobia. Which is a shame as I loved almost everything else about that opening paragraph. Apart from the fact that the second paragraph should have been part of the first. Bit of “corridor” repetition as we went on. Good sense of drama and emergency.  Nice to see a little diversity making it to the writing comp. Dialogue wasn’t bad, but a little predictable. Whole thing had a kind of Neon Genesis/ Pacific Rim vibe to it. Very enjoyable.

@Nora

nice opening – would have swapped “a too dangerous one to keep around” to “just one too dangerous to keep around” to read easier, might just be personal preference though.
A visual cue when swapping from story to dialogue would have been handy, but mostly I  made the transitions without too much fuss. I feel like the world was wonderfully imagined, it seems a shame for the author to have felt it was sub par. And it had a dragon. Everyone loves a dragon. Bit of repetition of “claws” in the fight. Really like this one, and didn’t even need the music for it.

@wakarimasen
All hail Abbathor! Long live D&D…

@Jmack
Book of Job was a bit of a revelation (ahhh biblical puns eh?)
Something about the start felt weaker than the author’s usual efforts. Possibly it could have been dropped entirely, put us in with the sailor discovering the coffin?
I liked the ethereal quality to the world after the storm, very dreamlike. “Flat as a threshing floor” was nice. Liked the way we learn about the King’s past as a sailor and how it changes our initial opinion of the man. The dialogue mostly left me a little cold, apart from when she laments that the priestess used to be a friend, that seemed more real.

@Henry Dale

Opening sentence was nice but felt a little mechanical. I’d have been happier just knowing “Thu tied clipped her carabiner to the harness that ran up the long neck of her cloud eater.” I get the same sense of height and the same curiosity about both situation and beast from that. The explanation about what she did in different weathers was nice, but left me a bit confused about what the weather was at the time. Liked the culture that was evoked, felt well fleshed out, but that third para (round the fire) seemed to serve little purpose plot wise.

@Rukaio_Alter

I liked all of this. The first sentence could have gone, but the dialogue was amusing and free flowing. Find it hard to point to something to helpfully crit. Better description of mind bending chaos perhaps? 
Bloody Kevin eh?

@Elfy

Was the second sentence necessary? In general there was quite a lot of repetition of Jack’s name. Something about this one made me stumble a bit, I just couldn’t engage with it. It felt like much of it was unnecessary. The conversation between Jack and Alison could have been one line almost. The action against the bunyip had introspection on weapon type crammed into a space which supposedly had him scrambling to load a spear. That broke the pace for me. It was a nice, refreshing setting though and it would be great to delve deeper into the fantastical nature of Aboriginal legends.

@night_wrtr
Not sure you can crawl to your feet. Name in first sentence (cuthulu’s knackers I’m becoming obsessed with that). Second few sentences could be paired down a bit, I got completely lost in “dead or dying and the other half ran as fast and as far away as they could”.  The shorter sentences were much stronger, gave a better sense of vezz. I liked the “no one to tell” black humour.  The action parts were snappier but didn’t need all those paragraph breaks. Built good tension toward the end.

@poppa fred

Felt a little expositionary. Some of the dialogue was unneeded, getting things to eat and what have you. It diffused the pace so there was not much sense of impeding, species threatening, extinction traumas. The serpent beast came and went without much fuss, seemed odd. Would have liked to have that as more of the focus rather than the meal in the canteen for instance. Perhaps telling us about his daughter at the start would have helped develop some bond with the Cap?

@ArcaneArtsVelho

Liked the first para as a whole, but “blood flecked spit” might have been a more economic use of language and the repetition of hands was noticeable. His sudden recovery seemed unlikely, not sure even terror can motivate through that level of physical exhaustion. +1 for Dragon. Love Dragons. Liked the dialogue, the Dragon seemed suitably calm and unfussed.

@Raptori

Refreshing format. Nice punchy delivery, but not sure every para break was needed. Had a Lovecraftian flavour to it. Liked “Once you see the curtain move, it stands out like a signal fire.” For the sense of dread it implied I the watcher, subtle touches like that are really nice. Made me think of the bird depicted in the Nazca lines.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
Thanks Waka!
I can't complain with my critic. You're right on all your points, and the second Claws could easily have been changed for Talons if only I'd spotted it. Nice one.  :P
I'm glad you liked the world, since it was purely discovery writing, and the whole thing sort of burst to life by itself, so I struggle following my own ideas in places.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Thanks, Waka!  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Tags: