June 23, 2017, 02:41:13 PM

Author Topic: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread  (Read 16252 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2015, 02:15:49 PM »
Our entry is in - thanks for waiting!

Aww thanks you three, we'll try to be as quick as possible! It's going to be even more embarrassing now once you all read the story and see just how awful it is...  :-[
Pfft!
Seriously, there are loads of obvious flaws that we wouldn't be able to fix without a complete rewrite. Not much we can do about those ones!

Well, see how it turned out for me on the month I finished by trashing 2/3 of the story from 3 to 4am on the last minute, and posted without re-reading myself? Not happy with the result, incredibly pleased I stole a couple of votes and almost forgot the whole event now!  :P
Take it as a good exercise and do your best guys!
Yeah, at the very least it's somehow managed to get us past our problems - hopefully that's not temporary...  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2015, 02:18:25 PM »
Yay you did it!
Locked the thread now - good luck all!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Our entry is in - thanks for waiting!

Aww thanks you three, we'll try to be as quick as possible! It's going to be even more embarrassing now once you all read the story and see just how awful it is...  :-[
Pfft!
Seriously, there are loads of obvious flaws that we wouldn't be able to fix without a complete rewrite. Not much we can do about those ones!

Well, see how it turned out for me on the month I finished by trashing 2/3 of the story from 3 to 4am on the last minute, and posted without re-reading myself? Not happy with the result, incredibly pleased I stole a couple of votes and almost forgot the whole event now!  :P
Take it as a good exercise and do your best guys!
Yeah, at the very least it's somehow managed to get us past our problems - hopefully that's not temporary...  :o

There is no reasons that this should stay, or not come back.
I remember perfectly, as an art student, working in art schools, we had classes that lasted 4h, doing nothing but still drawings, every weeks. It's stupid work, you're plugged into your music, scratching paper in the mechanical way you've learnt and practiced for years, and suddenly you can't make it. Nothing works.
Your objects are out of proportions, you're making mistake over mistakes, you can't even sketch a freaking shadow... It happened to all of us, and I was among the ones who'd lose it and get a cry in the loos, thinking for a while that whatever insignificant skill I had was gone forever.
And then it'd be back the next day, like nothing ever happened. It's art, it's a creative process, you can't be in shape for it all the time, even if you force yourself to stay on it, you'll produce crap, that's just normal, happens to everyone. It's not like pushing a button.

http://tinyurl.com/oc5kzly

- illustration provided to make a point, it's an old class drawing of mine, entered as part of a 10 pages competition.  :P

You should not worry. Down times come and go. They're only ever bad if you quit while you're in a down.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Tags: