April 29, 2017, 10:26:26 AM

Author Topic: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread  (Read 14288 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
Re: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:15 AM »
Good question.  No idea.  But it seems fun.  *shrug*

I'm curious to see how we'll handle edits -- since there's a character limit, so just including each draft in a separate spoiler tag won't work.  :)

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 01:21:02 AM »
Huh. I'm really not sure what to think of the way you're all doing this nanowrimo style posting. I don't see the point of me reading it since it's going to spoil the story but also isn't asking for any feedback, so... If readers are waiting till the end to read anyway, what's the point exactly?
Isn't it doing publicly what you do privately, but with the risk of exposing readers to less refined versions of your story before the end?  ???

yup.  spoilers and disclaimers required.

that's kind of why i'm using them as a diary instead of glomping them all in one spoiler.  built this way, i see three options:

1) you read and spoil and hang with us through all of our pain of birthing a story.

2) you don't care and only read the end result.

3) you wait until the end, read the end story, then go back and read the 'behind the scenes'.

i think it's going to be fun.  in the end, it may be totally lame.  but, there's only one way to find out!

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:39 AM »
Good question.  No idea.  But it seems fun.  *shrug*

I'm curious to see how we'll handle edits -- since there's a character limit, so just including each draft in a separate spoiler tag won't work.  :)

hrm.

good point.  i suppose we'll figure it out when we get there.  maybe it's something easy like a pastebin link.  or maybe we go heavyweight like google docs.  or maybe we start archiving stuff.  i dunno.

i do think it's pretty important to stay within our single entry and not make multiple submission posts.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 01:44:50 AM »
I'm just doing what @xiagan told me to do.
It's his fault.  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 02:06:08 AM »
I'm just doing what @xiagan told me to do.
It's his fault.  ;)

Do the words count as well for those doing NaNoWriMo? I think I might read one or two ongoing but if I do more  I shall get in a a muddle - not hard to confuse me at best of times. ;)
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 02:28:32 AM »
Huh. I'm really not sure what to think of the way you're all doing this nanowrimo style posting. I don't see the point of me reading it since it's going to spoil the story but also isn't asking for any feedback, so... If readers are waiting till the end to read anyway, what's the point exactly?
Isn't it doing publicly what you do privately, but with the risk of exposing readers to less refined versions of your story before the end?  ???

that's kind of why i'm using them as a diary instead of glomping them all in one spoiler.  built this way, i see three options:

1) you read and spoil and hang with us through all of our pain of birthing a story.

3) you wait until the end, read the end story, then go back and read the 'behind the scenes'.

i think it's going to be fun.  in the end, it may be totally lame.  but, there's only one way to find out!

Well, so long as it's fun for the ones doing it... I personally don't want to read along, I don't read stories at all until I'm done with mine in general. So I would definitely not get distracted by half finished stories, nor want to expose mine mid-work, so I'm more puzzled by the idea than anything.
But I'm sure some of the readers will love that and some writers appreciate the way it allows to dissect the process of story creation.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 04:07:11 AM »

Well, so long as it's fun for the ones doing it... I personally don't want to read along, I don't read stories at all until I'm done with mine in general. So I would definitely not get distracted by half finished stories, nor want to expose mine mid-work, so I'm more puzzled by the idea than anything.
But I'm sure some of the readers will love that and some writers appreciate the way it allows to dissect the process of story creation.
I'm pretty much with Nora here. I'll do a story, but I don't have any real interest in doing it Nanowrimo style. I'll just wait until people have completed their stories and read them as a whole thing. I'm not really sure that a 1500 word max story really lends itself to Nanowrimo, which was designed to write 50,000 words over a monthly period.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »
Cool theme can't wait t get stuck in  :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 08:29:28 AM »
I'm a bit of the same opinion, and I was actually going to let people know I'm not reading anything (if people were expecting comments or something) :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
Fortunately everybody is different and likes different stuff. Whatever bloats your goat.  ;D

For the writers it is more immediate and a different process to how you normally do it - that might be a different and interesting experience.
For the readers it may be exciting to see how a story develops.

It's a one-time experiment that is completely voluntary, so no need to rack your brain over it.

I'm not really sure that a 1500 word max story really lends itself to Nanowrimo, which was designed to write 50,000 words over a monthly period.
That was neither my intention nor did I say that.
In honor of the "writing month" you have the chance to do your writing a bit different.
Doing it in the Nanowrimo-style would be 50 words a day which indeed is stupid.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:31 AM »
Have a start for a story and a setting but not sure where I want to go with it now. At least I got my big beasty  :)

Offline night_wrtr

• Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »
I can't decide on my beast. :-/

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 11:00:10 AM »

Erm... if it was someone else asking (people that did RPG or the Birthday Cycle stories, who know us inside out) I'd suggest one of us from the forum ;D

Chilly, Nighteyes, ... Jmack and Henry Dale already have a beast.
@m3mnoch, @Lady_Ty, what about you? 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
Damn, I've got 800 words down and I'm weiiiirded out by my own story. I'm using two different types of beasts and a world I know nothing about... I'm glad I ain't smoking weed, cause the way this is constructing itself is so independent to my will, I could get paranoid.  ;D

If I actually force myself, I might be done soon. I'll probably write something less trippy though, because I'm not sure it'll fit the local taste here.  ???
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »

Erm... if it was someone else asking (people that did RPG or the Birthday Cycle stories, who know us inside out) I'd suggest one of us from the forum ;D

Chilly, Nighteyes, ... Jmack and Henry Dale already have a beast.
@m3mnoch, @Lady_Ty, what about you? 8)

I'm a nice monster  >:(
Hardly a beast.

You can write about this:

The man in the moon is actually really nice. Unfortunately people walk over his face constantly and life is miserable when you have no hands to scratch your ticklish nose.

Damn, I've got 800 words down and I'm weiiiirded out by my own story. I'm using two different types of beasts and a world I know nothing about... I'm glad I ain't smoking weed, cause the way this is constructing itself is so independent to my will, I could get paranoid.  ;D

If I actually force myself, I might be done soon. I'll probably write something less trippy though, because I'm not sure it'll fit the local taste here.  ???

Try us!  :P

Tags: