May 26, 2017, 10:17:03 AM

Author Topic: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread  (Read 15224 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:27:14 PM »
Mighty Beasts

(Art from the Bit Blot game Aquaria: http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/")

You know they're out there. Lurking. Just out of your sight. Maybe immortal. Or so close that it doesn't make a difference. Having survived for longer than human history exists. Because they're tougher, smarter and meaner than anything else.
Dragons, leviathans, kraken or other things from deep below - our mythologies are filled with gargantuan creatures and so is our pop culture (Godzilla, King Kong, ...). They're lurking. Or sleeping. Until they get disturbed...

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Must contain a big, mythical (as in doesn't exist as far as we know and not as in has to be from a mythology) creature.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

Entry will close November 30th/Dec 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

#nanowrimo special!

November is (inter)national novel writing month. To honor this, I'll propose something special for those who are willing:
You write your story in your submission post and everybody can see how the story develops.

What I'm imagining is something like this:
Nov 1st: Write the first 200 words of the story in a post and submit.
Nov 2nd-4th: no time, so nothing happens
Nov 5th: Modify post and add a fancy title and two sentences.
Nov 6th: Modify post and write another 300 words.
Nov 7th-18th: no time for writing
Nov 18th: New title because the old one sucked.
Nov 19th: rewrite the first scene, add another 100 words
Nov 20th: change title again and the name of the MC
Nov 21st: write the last part of the story
Nov 22nd: edit and tweak a bit

There is absolutely no obligation to do it like this. It's just for fun and those who like to try something new. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:28:45 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ClintACK

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Mistborn
    • View Profile
Re: [Nov 2015] - Mighty Beasts - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 11:01:23 PM »
Ooh.

Good topic.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:03:10 PM »
Yup, excited!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »
But I really want to do something... awesome.
Totally not sure what that would be...  :o  :-[
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »
Oh nice topic. Have a few stories I've already written I could polish and submit without doing any work...or I could come up with something new for fun. Lazy or fun, lazy or fun...lazy...fun.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 02:02:03 AM »
Oh nice topic. Have a few stories I've already written I could polish and submit without doing any work...or I could come up with something new for fun. Lazy or fun, lazy or fun...lazy...fun.

Ahem... Rule number 8 kinda of says...

8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a major overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:05:51 AM »
ha!

Nov 18th: New title because the old one sucked.

that's gonna be me all month long!

totally excited to draw everything up in the post itself.  that'll be super-fun!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:47 AM »
I think this is a good illustration.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:01:02 AM by xiagan »

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »
Another theme for which I can't use any of my existing story ideas.   :(
Do you do this on purpose, xiagan? Do you read minds and then mess with them?  ???
 ;)

Well, I better start coming up with new ideas for this one right away. Wouldn't want to leave things to the last minute.  :D

P.S. I can't see Nora's illustration, but I did dug it up with the help of the source code and google. (The word 'static' and a dot seems to be missing after the http:// part in the url.)

Oh, I see; xiagan has edited Nora's post. Do we need more proof that he's messing with our heads?  :P ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »

Ahem... Rule number 8 kinda of says...

8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a major overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
Pfft, rules.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »
I've got a beast in mind, I just have to find a story to go around it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 12:41:28 AM »
I've got a beast in mind, I just have to find a story to go around it.

Yup. Beast selected.
I think I know the premise and characters.
Now it's the details.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
Pfiou, just decided to write something I'm pulling out of my hat as I go. Some moody music and an unrelated picture in mind and zero idea about what the beast would be like, and here I am, already 500 words deep in pure discovery writing.
Damn this writing gig is really odd. Not one story seems to pan out the same.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
I (already!) have an idea for my story but haven't decided on the beast yet.

Dragon would probably be the most fitting creature, considering my idea, but they are quite overused. Hmm? Decisions...
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »
Huh. I'm really not sure what to think of the way you're all doing this nanowrimo style posting. I don't see the point of me reading it since it's going to spoil the story but also isn't asking for any feedback, so... If readers are waiting till the end to read anyway, what's the point exactly?
Isn't it doing publicly what you do privately, but with the risk of exposing readers to less refined versions of your story before the end?  ???

Tags: