June 22, 2018, 06:01:18 AM

Author Topic: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
Not especially, since the force can totally be a type of magic in its own right. If you forget that midichlorians business. And even then, nothing stops us from writing a world where magic is a genetic product.
Magic can be anything we want it to be can't we?
I also don't understand your will to make this medieval YET technological. Not that I'm moaning. I have a clear idea of the world I want to write and it'll be a blend of medieval fantasy flavours with magically powered tech and I'll rest my case with voters.
I understand the "this is not steampunk" approach, but I don't see what's so bad about a witch in space. If it's well made it doesn't have to be "another space opera" where technology is magic because its unrealistically advanced. I think it'd make a great submission.
But again I'm not writing that so I don't care.

I understand the need to differentiate the theme but I feel like the onslaught of comparisons is making things more complicated and restrained.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
Like you said, Nora, I’ll leave it to the voters. But I just wrote what came to mind, and we’ll see.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
Not especially, since the force can totally be a type of magic in its own right. If you forget that midichlorians business. And even then, nothing stops us from writing a world where magic is a genetic product.
Magic can be anything we want it to be can't we?
Of course. What I meant was that it doesn't have to be the force (and remember, we usually don't do fan fiction if it's not specially given as the theme).

I also don't understand your will to make this medieval YET technological.
You could say that about every theme we had. :D "I don't understand your will to let us write letters,..."  ;)

I understand the "this is not steampunk" approach, but I don't see what's so bad about a witch in space.
Nothing is bad about a witch in space. I'd love to read about one! But it's simply not the theme this month. (Well, if the witch was kidnapped/abducted  from a traditional fantasy world and now beats up all those spacefarer asses - great!)

I understand the need to differentiate the theme but I feel like the onslaught of comparisons is making things more complicated and restrained.
I didn't want to give as many comparisons or explanations as I did but apparently the need was there.
It's a thin line between a too broad theme and a too restrained theme. And since I've heard complains from both sides in the past, well...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
I've also had a bit of confusion with the theme, mainly from this mention of a 'medieval' fantasy setting with technology, which seems rather contradictory to me. I was initially going to go with the fantasy wizard world invaded by techno aliens ala Stargate replicators, but as the discussion evolved, I'm now wondering whether the technology has to be inherently native to those living in the setting? In which case, I have no idea how to pull that off!
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »
No, doesn't need to be native. I don't think it's possible to pull a medieval living + magic and high technology in the same land/culture off, either. (Surprise me! ;))

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 01:23:00 AM »

@D_Bates

Here are some examples I thought of for inspiration.  Nora, they aren't meant to constrain but get juices flowing:

So in Final Fantasy X, the main character is a memory of an advanced society that was wiped like 1000s of years ago but magically sustained in some sort of magic wall.  The story takes place in a world with magic where religion prohibits technology, and claims that this tsunami monster destroys humanity every so often to keep technology from developing.  There's one group that violates that dictate and develops technology to try to kill the monster.  It doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-eTw1W5XAs

Mark Twain's a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court-- some guy gets knocked out and wakes up in King Arthur's court with all his modern day knowledge. He uses it to make himself a wizard.  Not sure if this one counts or not, but it seems borderline.

Portal fantasy where technology is brought into the fantasy setting might be another one.  The Magicians is too focused on the real world to really count, but that scene in season 1 where Quentin tries to tell them not to bring tech to Fillory so as not to spoil it but Margo brings a gun into Fillory and shoots that dude was pretty awesome.

The Morgaine series by C.J. Cherryh is about a woman with a magic sword who's part alien trying to destroy gates that connect worlds.  It's very fantasy, but built on tech.  The bad guy lives forever transferring his consciousness into new bodies using alien tech.  Her magic sword is connected to the tech, and it's all very fantasy setting

Krull is definitely fantasy, but it's also got this alien monster in a fortress that moves around.

The parts of Cloud Atlas that take place waaaaay into the future where there's people living in medieval conditions and then other people showing up in what feel basically like space ships might be another one.

It might be a stretch, but James Cameron's Avatar, if from the POV of the colonized, might count.

Idk if this is too much of a stretch but Thor seems to blend tech and fantasy stuff.  There's Anne McCaffery's time travelling Dragons, and Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept, I feel like parts of Zelazny could work, and so could possibly the Shanarra stuff that's got kings and queens and magic and Trolls and Gnomes and Elves but built on the post-apocalyptic ruins of the Earth.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 12:53:34 AM »
Hahaha. Thanks, but I don't need ideas. I already have a story and setting, it simply doesn't seem to align with what Xiagan wants, since I understand it less and less, but I'm happy with the way things are going so I'll let people vote accordingly.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
I have an idea that I'm really excited about, but I also have another May 31st deadline so idk if I'll have time to enter this month :( :( :(

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
I have an idea that I'm really excited about, but I also have another May 31st deadline so idk if I'll have time to enter this month :( :( :(

Send me your idea. I’ll write it, and you can pretend it was yours.

Oh, that was supposed to be a PM.

mods! Delete please.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
^ ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 06:06:39 PM »
it simply doesn't seem to align with what Xiagan wants, since I understand it less and less
And I can't for the life of me understand what's so hard to get with this theme...  :-\

Offline idledragon27

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
I thought I had this story down, just had to whittle away the words. But I only saw the bit saying technology and dragons.
Now I'm almost there and I've reread the brief, and realised my setting is a bit too urban.
So lets turn the brain around and start again...
Still, I have a great idea I can work on for something else  ;D
A wanderer of words, and I like to ramble.

Offline Dan D Jones

• Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »

@D_Bates There's Anne McCaffery's time travelling Dragons, and Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept, I feel like parts of Zelazny could work, and so could possibly the Shanarra stuff that's got kings and queens and magic and Trolls and Gnomes and Elves but built on the post-apocalyptic ruins of the Earth.

For Zelazny, the whole Amber series could fit the theme, as could Jack of Shadows.  Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter and The Dragons of Babel seem to be the inverse of what's being asked here - it's an industrial setting with elves, dragons and magic.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 09:17:53 AM »
I'm super behind on a Jun 1st deadline.  Is there any chance I could squeeze a couple of extra days outta you guys to drop my entry?

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »
I can add the weekend, if that helps?

Close the submission first thing Monday morning UK time (4th June).

After all, it's in everybody's best interest (except the ones who've submitted already ;)) to have a nice number of stories!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!