October 18, 2019, 10:01:05 AM

Author Topic: May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Voting Thread  (Read 6926 times)

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
    • View Profile
    • The Macpherzone
Re: May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
Congrats @Bradley Darewood ! A well deserved win.

Since I voted for you I don't feel too bad about getting pasted this month  :P
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2018, 04:41:08 PM »
Well, @OnlyOneHighlander, you got my vote anyway.  8)
I also voted for @The Gem Cutter.
My challenge with Bradley’s story was only that I didn’t feel it fit the theme exactly. I’m still quite happy with it as the winner. A really nice story with great atmosphere.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
WOOWWWWWWWW!!!! I CANT BELIEVE I WON ONE!!!!! Yeah I am speechless... (but I was also asleep) I really didn't think I was ever going to win one of these.  I'm blown away.

Thanks for the votes and the congrats everyone!  I feel kinda bad that I won on one where I turned things in late tho... if only I had won on one of the times where I turned stuff in on time!

@JMack I think we had different impressions of the theme b/c I almost voted for yours (haha it's a pattern I vote for you in 99% of these) but I felt it was kinda off theme since it was about fantasy in a high-tech setting instead of technology in a fantasy setting. As usual, you had a fantastic voice, and I thought you did the best job of any of us pulling off a full arc in 1500 words. It was really a strong piece.

@The Gem Cutter  i voted for yours and @Carter 's they were both great pieces! I was really torn b/c I also really liked @OnlyOneHighlander 's piece and I couldn't decide which to vote for-- I wanted 3 votes (and maybe a 4th to give to Jmack).

Anyway @ScarletBea are we still doing the thing where the winner opens a critique thread for @D_Bates (and others) to throw some critiques on? (I mention you b/c I honestly don't think we could pull off a critique thread on our won without you, man)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Congrats, Bradley! I figured out Natoh quite early but Lah... if it isn't L.A. I have no idea what it could be.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 09:19:49 PM »
Anyway @ScarletBea are we still doing the thing where the winner opens a critique thread for @D_Bates (and others) to throw some critiques on? (I mention you b/c I honestly don't think we could pull off a critique thread on our won without you, man)
You can do it, yes :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 02:03:16 AM »
WOO! Congrats, @Bradley Darewood !

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 04:58:19 AM »
So when I read the theme, I immediately had two reactions. The first was "Gandalf vs. The Empire" - who'd win?The second was a high-handed scoff AS IF Sci-Fi stuff could EVER overcome Fantasy!
But many others seemed confused by the theme and I couldn't see why. So do tell...
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
Re: Re: May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Voting Thread
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:27 AM »
So when I read the theme, I immediately had two reactions. The first was "Gandalf vs. The Empire" - who'd win?The second was a high-handed scoff AS IF Sci-Fi stuff could EVER overcome Fantasy!
But many others seemed confused by the theme and I couldn't see why. So do tell...

I think the issue I had was that I couldn't see a means of doing an alien invasion in 1500 words, so I veered towards the technology and fantasy living side by side. And in my mind, technology and magic do very much the same thing, outside of one coming from the will and the other coming from a device, so I couldn't see a way of incorporating them into the same world where it wouldn't feel like they were the same thing, just one is done with a wave of the hand and the other with the press of a button.

In any case, I've been pretty engrossed in my own stuff as of late so I'm missing entries. I did have a concept for this month surrounding wizards casting a portal to summon forth the worst creation in all the universe, because their capital's shield is about to break due to a swam metallic bugs they've been using as slave labour have gone rogue and are about to annihilate them. The twist being that the thing that comes through the portal is those very bugs. But meh.

I'd also had ambitions of following on with April's Auskbert story in the same serial vein as your clockwork keep pieces, but the magic and technology theme shot that in the foot even before the initial entry was completely rejected by everyone :p.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »
Note: I moved @D_Bates' feedback posts to the Critique thread (yes, there was one ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams