July 22, 2019, 02:38:36 AM

Author Topic: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread  (Read 9554 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 03:54:01 PM »
I saw no confusion in the instructions, but perhaps I missed something. Xiagan, let me know if my submission violates any of the guidance for the topic?
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
    • View Profile
    • The Macpherzone
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Great topic. Finally a chance to address the question which would win in a fight - dragons or flying saucers?!
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
Posted last night. My original idea was a third story about Alexander, Penelope, and the squirrels, but a different notion took over my keyboard.

Sort of glad to have the contest done for the month. Maybe I’ll go back to re-writing “Billy Broke Locks”. Or maybe write something else.  :o ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
Got so distracted by the end of last month I never got to submit a story or vote. Thankfully most of the distractions have ironed themselves out now so I hope to have something for this month.

Would Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood, and the sequel novels, be an example? From what I remember reading years ago, the setting was one primarily of magic ruling and then gunpowder started rising up as a power.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
Got so distracted by the end of last month I never got to submit a story or vote. Thankfully most of the distractions have ironed themselves out now so I hope to have something for this month.

Would Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood, and the sequel novels, be an example? From what I remember reading years ago, the setting was one primarily of magic ruling and then gunpowder started rising up as a power.

Not gunpowder, per se, but Sci Fi. Of course, Victorian SF ala Jules Verne might fit, and that’s getting closer to McClellan, just with scientific bits.  ;D. (So writes someone with no official capacity in this contest club.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 12:52:10 AM »
Does the Shannara series count? Fantasy with traces of pre apocalypse tech?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 09:27:41 AM »
@xiagan, could you please help with all these questions?
I can't really contribute since we didn't discuss the details this time
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 09:20:48 PM »
Usually the plan is to not set the frame too tight and to see what you can come up with...

In the last instance the voters decide if a story fits the theme or not.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Corvus

• Soulfinder
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 05:57:42 AM »
Sort of like Shadowrun then?

I have run across a couple of cyberpunk/urban fantasy fusions before which seem to fit the bill.

And I seem to recall seeing a series around called Starship Mage or something like that.  As in an actual mage serving on board a starship using actual magic and not 'sufficiently advanced technology.'
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:59:40 AM by Corvus »
The Lands of Mist and Shadows - http://mistandshadows.com/
Tales from a Thousand Worlds - http://talesfromathousandworlds.com/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
I *loved* playing Shadowrun as a kid.  I was a mage that used manipulation magic and a monofilament whip. There was some spell, i think it was Toxic Wave that basically brought me to to brink of death everytime I cast it, but also killed everything else around me.

Idk for sure but my understanding of it from the exchange below is Magic plus Tech, but not any Urban Fantasy (I think that was done another month) I'd picture Shadowrun as being urban fantasy but maybe I'm wrong in that assessment. 

I'm willing to at least take a stab at this, but isn't the entire genre of steampunk pretty much what you describe?
No, I definitely don't want steampunk. That's a tech world with added magic.

Here I want something more medieval/traditional fantasy with advanced tech alongside it, colliding with it or whatever.
Think Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars but not hollywoodesque but good and well thought out.

That German fantasy saga actually sounded really interesting. . . Until you mentioned that it had dragons. Still not sure why that's such a selling point for so many readers. . .
They're definitely not your typical dragons. And the magic system is something Sanderson can look to and take notes. ;)
It's the "Höhlenwelt Saga" by Harald Evers, first book is "Die Bruderschaft von Yoor".

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
Basically Star Wars if you count the force as magic.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 05:01:35 PM »
I'm curious if people would consider biotech as part of the theme. Using genetic engineering, magic, and such to create equivalents to various mechanical technology. Like Kameron Hurley's Worldbreaker Saga had the Line, a living railway system composed of a massive vine with chrysalis pods carrying passengers along the vine to various destinations.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 10:16:14 PM »
Rule 2. The story must contain a traditional fantasy world with magic and Sci-Fi technology.

I neither see Shadowrun here, nor Star Wars*. Urban Fantasy is not a traditional fantasy world. Think more medieval.

*Could work if it's a backwater planet with some non-tech natives who use the force and who get discovered by the rebels or something like this.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Well wait, you can't want a non tech people using the force if the theme is magic AND technology.
As far as I'm concerned if I read a story that is a space opera with magic powering a lot of stuff, then I'd vote for it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
Well wait, you can't want a non tech people using the force if the theme is magic AND technology.
As far as I'm concerned if I read a story that is a space opera with magic powering a lot of stuff, then I'd vote for it.
Magic and technology is the name, which of course can't describe a theme well enough.
I thought it's clear enough in the description that space opera is not what we want. (We had space opera already and since any advanced enough technology isn't indistinguishable from magic, every space opera (that doesn't delves too deep into the machinations of the universe) could fit the theme in your eyes?)

I wouldn't have thought that this is so hard to grasp or I had tried to explain it better in the first post. Sorry for that.

If it's easier to understand you can think of magic VS technology. Take a medieval magical world and alien invaders, or the star wars example I mentioned above (without the force but with 'normal' magic), or a hi-tech race coming over the seas discovering an unknown continent with a magical people.
I don't want to give too many examples because I think that hinders creativity... Is it more clear now?