July 21, 2019, 10:21:10 AM

Author Topic: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread  (Read 9550 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
Technology and Magic, Science Fiction and Fantasy

In the merry month of May we want you to write a story in a world where traditional fantasy with magic and science fictional technology coexist. Or meet. Or clash. Or fight. That's up to you. It was really hard to find a fitting picture which may be a sign that this is a neglected genre.
There are only two books I can think of at the moment. One is a German fantasy saga which was never translated to English (Fantasy World invaded by Aliens - it's way better than it sounds. And with dragons.) and the other, if it counts at all, is Ready Player One where we learn that they have in the OASIS magic worlds, technology worlds and worlds where both is allowed.

We're really curious what you'll manage to come up with!

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story must contain a traditional fantasy world with magic and Sci-Fi technology.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close May 31st/June 1st, 2018 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Norman Gray

• Tribute
    • View Profile
Re: [May 2018] - Magic and Technology - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:56 AM »
That German fantasy saga actually sounded really interesting. . . Until you mentioned that it had dragons. Still not sure why that's such a selling point for so many readers. . .

Anyway, I've dabbled in this sort of 'crossing of genres' before, so I think it would be fun and interesting to revisit!

Offline Skip

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:09:49 AM »
I'm willing to at least take a stab at this, but isn't the entire genre of steampunk pretty much what you describe?
Visit Altearth

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
I'm willing to at least take a stab at this, but isn't the entire genre of steampunk pretty much what you describe?
No, I definitely don't want steampunk. That's a tech world with added magic.

Here I want something more medieval/traditional fantasy with advanced tech alongside it, colliding with it or whatever.
Think Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars but not hollywoodesque but good and well thought out.

That German fantasy saga actually sounded really interesting. . . Until you mentioned that it had dragons. Still not sure why that's such a selling point for so many readers. . .
They're definitely not your typical dragons. And the magic system is something Sanderson can look to and take notes. ;)
It's the "Höhlenwelt Saga" by Harald Evers, first book is "Die Bruderschaft von Yoor".

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
This is a serious challenge for a 1500 word short. Strangely, I have an idea with a funny twist at the end, but we'll see.

Think Lord of the Rings meets Star Wars but not hollywoodesque but good and well thought out.

I am curious for an elaboration of this comment! Surely you're not suggesting that hollywood movies are all sparkle and no substance! What blasphemy is this?
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Skip

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
OK, got it. thx
Visit Altearth

Offline Feanor

• Coreling
  • Fantasy is a Silmaril!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »
Hmmm... do you mean something like Artemis Fowl?
It's kinda low magic but this is what, immediately, came into my mind when I saw this month's prompt.
Tomorrow will take us away!!!

The Bard's Song by Blind Guardian

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
I'm gonna go more Howl's Moving Castle with this one(the Miyazaki version), with tech heavy airships and magic a commonality of the world.
Great topic and glad it's not steampunk
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Feanor

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
I'm gonna go more Howl's Moving Castle with this one(the Miyazaki version), with tech heavy airships and magic a commonality of the world.

Usually, I am not one to nitpick, but Howl's Moving Castle is kind of a steampunk.
Still, I like it a lot along with all Miyazaki creations.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

Usually, I am not one to nitpick, but Howl's Moving Castle is kind of a steampunk.

I heartily disagree. Yes there are some vehicles that use steam (like the tram) but the other main steam producing machine is a normal train. The flying bike things are not steam powered and neither are the warship. The aesthetic isn't one of cogs and the fashion is not Victorian but just dress and shirt-pants/uniform fantasy.
Howl's castle is entirely powered by magic. The mechanisms are one of tubs and bits and bobs and fancy contraptions around a magical fuel. Look at the door in the castle: the colour coding is there to help you see which location you're set on, but the magic is inured in the handle itself.
To me the film has nothing of steampunk at all. But it's close enough to be a contentious POV of course.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Feanor

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »

I heartily disagree. Yes there are some vehicles that use steam (like the tram) but the other main steam producing machine is a normal train. The flying bike things are not steam powered and neither are the warship. The aesthetic isn't one of cogs and the fashion is not Victorian but just dress and shirt-pants/uniform fantasy.
Howl's castle is entirely powered by magic. The mechanisms are one of tubs and bits and bobs and fancy contraptions around a magical fuel. Look at the door in the castle: the colour coding is there to help you see which location you're set on, but the magic is inured in the handle itself.
To me the film has nothing of steampunk at all. But it's close enough to be a contentious POV of course.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly agree with the differences you mentioned but I, also, believe it's a matter if semantics.
It's the steampunk  version of Japanese anime/manga culture hence the differences.

I am not raising this issue to debate whether you should go that way for the short story but because I am a fan if yhe Japanese culture of anime/manga and I consider Howl's Movibg Castle a steampunk, although, quite original, especially, for it's time.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
Hmmm... do you mean something like Artemis Fowl?
It's kinda low magic but this is what, immediately, came into my mind when I saw this month's prompt.
Artemis Fowl isn't bad but it's still recent/urban fantasy and not "traditional fantasy".

It's ages that I read Howl's moving castle and I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment.

Offline Feanor

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 10:15:26 PM »

Artemis Fowl isn't bad but it's still recent/urban fantasy and not "traditional fantasy".

It's ages that I read Howl's moving castle and I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment.

You are right, my bad.
I should have specified that I meant only the subterranean culture of the Elves and the other creatures that mix magic with advanced technology and not the whole book along with the modern day human civilization which makes the book urban fantasy.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 12:50:40 AM »
Like Final Fantasy 6, 7 and 10?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
I love it when an idea blooms on its own, and I just need to water it some. Then chop it off at the stem, squoosh it between the pages of an enormous book for, oh say, 29mdays, and then hurriedly breathe some life back into it just before the deadline.

Idea? Check
Water? Working on that
Enormous book? Hmmm. Maybe the Once and Future King would do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:44:36 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com