May 28, 2017, 01:19:22 PM

Author Topic: [May 2017] - Music - Discussion Thread  (Read 953 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[May 2017] - Music - Discussion Thread
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »
Music

Music plays a huge part in our lives and so it's no wonder that it has its part in fantasy too.
There are countless ways in which to include it. As a song to set the mood or as a part of your world building (see the famous example above). As the integral theme of the story (and it's magic) like in Pratchett's Soul Music. As something your MC is very good at like Kvothe in Name of the Wind, or many other ways, small or story defining.

This month we want you to write a short story in which music plays a significant part in your world building, your character's life or your plot.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story must contain some kind of musical element.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a major overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by choosing 'post anonymously' while posting it (see here how it works) or sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close May 31th/June 1st, 2017 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:15:21 PM by ScarletBea »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: [May 2017] - Music - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:36:38 AM »
Heck yeah!
And it's not even officially May.
I will call this @xiagan's birthday present to us all.
When he intended that or not.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:05:22 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
Heck yeah!
And it's not even officially May.
I will call this @Diagan's birthday present to us all.
When he intended that or not.  ;D

Think that's @xiagan's Birthday present to you in particular. Expecting words and your own accompanying music -all original.  And a video of you singing/playing it  ;D ;D ;D
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 01:34:26 AM »
Wow. That's gonna be super hard to find ideas for.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:01:34 AM »
Already have my concept.

And my first two sentences:
"Hail, brother!"
"Hail, sister! You great unnatural bitch."

JMack does grimdark.  :o And it's music month.  ;D ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:20:17 AM »
We can only submit lyrics.

Come on, you know you all want it!
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:53 AM »
We can only submit lyrics.

Come on, you know you all want it!

Sorry, not biting on only lyrics.
But there will be lyrics.  ;D

Offline Venandiaer

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
Just wondering... came up with an idea and started writing, and if (IF) I submit something, I noticed due to the setting and various other reasons of what I have started, it might have some swearing/ strong imagery. (Not going the pretty music route). Anyway, would I just need to maybe add something at the top of the entry if it does ending up being as such?

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
Yes, don't worry about including it.
Just do as you say, a little warning information at the top (outside the spoiler tags) for those who prefer not to read it :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
Just do as you say, a little warning information at the top (outside the spoiler tags) for those who prefer not to read it :)
Or to make sure young children, e.g. @Nighteyes, know to keep away.

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
I've just (this morning) finished re-reading The Vagrant where the song is an integral part of combat with Gamma's singing sword "The Malice"

Also Teresa Frohock's writing in the Los Nefilim novellas and The Broken Road (and Miserere too I think) make a lot of use of magic as a key element in spell casting - I think she likened it once to a sort of empowered Gregorian chant.

For myself, I'm just glad that success in my working life has depended on qualifications and skills other than the ability to sing/hold a note/read music -  it is a language in which I am functionally illiterate.   That might curtail my contribution this month!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
For myself, I'm just glad that success in my working life has depended on qualifications and skills other than the ability to sing/hold a note/read music -  it is a language in which I am functionally illiterate.   That might curtail my contribution this month!

I am the exact same. I consume a lot of music, with very weird and wild ranging tastes, but I don't know the first thing about music or singing, and generally don't end up friends with musicians or singers. I feel slightly awkward when people I know pull out an instrument or start singing.
I have nothing to say to them besides "that was cool/good/impressive/whatev". If I didn't really enjoy it, then I don't know what to say that would be constructive criticism, because I can't give any, and if it comes to taste, there is nothing to do... So yeah, I see musically oriented people as a breed of their own, like lawyers or programmers or poets, doing stuff that goes way over my head. I'm a visual arts sorta person. If I can see it I can give a more or less educated opinion on it.
But I can deeply enjoy what they do. I just enjoy music more on its own, detached from its producers, just like I'm not keen on knowing more about authors.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:53:36 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »
Or to make sure young children, e.g. @Nighteyes, know to keep away.

Yeah. Don't tag me in your sweary fantasy rap stories please.  However, big kudos if you fit some Lionel Ritchie lyrics into your contribution.

(And @xiagan is all about the Hoff.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:21:17 PM by ScarletBea »
The Real Powers That Be

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 12:44:29 AM »
Got my idea sorted remarkably quickly. Now to find some mood music and to start writing.

Offline Nighteyes

• Derp?
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 05:46:10 PM »
Got my idea sorted remarkably quickly. Now to find some mood music and to start writing.

Lionel Ritchie?
The Real Powers That Be

Tags: