July 18, 2019, 12:56:08 PM

Author Topic: [May 2016] - Well known fairy tales from a different POV - Discussion Thread  (Read 20747 times)

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Well. There goes my epic version of 'the giant who had no heart in his body' despite it being my favourite fairy tale from my childhood  :P

What's the name in french? Doesn't even ring any bell to me.
I'm not sure whether it's well-known in the french regions.
It's originally a Norwegian fairytale.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Who_Had_No_Heart_in_His_Body

My favorite comes from arabian countries, or ancient egypt or india? Can't remember. About a king who dies and needs to travel through the dangerous mountains of the afterlife until he reaches the gate of heaven. On his way he meets a dog, lonely and famished, and shares his food and shelter with him. In exchange the dog defends him from mountain lions and wolves, and the two become fast friends. Arriving at the doors of heaven, the king is told he can enter, but the dog cannot.
The king pleads, says he is his friend, but is refused. So he decides not to enter, he won't abandon his friend to starvation. Then the dog turns into a genie, since it was all a test of the man's character.  ::)
Sounds pretty awesome. Could totally see a version from the genie's POV happening. :)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Mmmh, but he's not a bad guy, or misunderstood. And it's also not well known  :P
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Mmmh, but he's not a bad guy, or misunderstood. And it's also not well known  :P
Oh I thought you just had to change the POV and not necessarily go from the bad guy   ???
Well good to know in that case :P

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Oh I thought you just had to change the POV and not necessarily go from the bad guy   ???
Well good to know in that case :P

I'll let @xiagan confirm, but you don't have to go with the bad guy - it just has to be the story retold from the POV of a secondary/minor character, or at least one that wasn't really 'telling his story' in the first place.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
God damn this topic has too much potential! :P

Started writing mine and had another idea, can I enter two?  :'(

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
God damn this topic has too much potential! :P

Started writing mine and had another idea, can I enter two?  :'(

5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
I don't know, what do you think? ;D
Maybe write both then ask a couple of people to choose which one's better, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
And post the lesser one in the review thread for us to enjoy anyway.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
I don't know, what do you think? ;D
Maybe write both then ask a couple of people to choose which one's better, hehe
And post the lesser one in the review thread for us to enjoy anyway.
Thank you ladies. I'll do that then.  8)

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
Yeah! Great topic thanks @ScarletBea going to consult my copy of Grimm's fairy tales

Online Alex Hormann

• Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Finally got around to entering another one of these. Thought I'd go with a poem for this one.  :D

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
It was a short poem, but somebody already posted a story!

I'm feeling ashamed for only getting ideas at the last moments (ie: in the last day).

On the other side, we can all stare in awe at how deadlines make things move and get done  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
Woohoo I'm actually writing again! Feels so good, haven't written anything for months god damn you writers block!

Offline m3mnoch

dudes!!

totally struck with an amazing idea.  super-excited to write this one up.

it's going to riff on hansel and gretel.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
This is such fun. keep getting ideas and then realise maybe not acceptable as fairy tales. @xiagan how would you feel about The Three Little Pigs. the huff and puff and blow your house down one?
If you say no, fair enough.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
This is such fun. keep getting ideas and then realise maybe not acceptable as fairy tales. @xiagan how would you feel about The Three Little Pigs. the huff and puff and blow your house down one?
If you say no, fair enough.

Can't see why, it's a major fairy tale of the Big Bad. It's been parodied and redone plenty, it's a great one!