November 18, 2018, 07:26:23 PM

Author Topic: [May 2016] - Well known fairy tales from a different POV - Discussion Thread  (Read 13561 times)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
You really shouldn't trust me. For example, I promised Raptori that I would look into something and then write him a PM (in a few days). This was about six months ago, and I still haven't written him.  ::) ;D   I wonder if he still remembers?
Raptoris always remember.  8)
I will write that PM, one day. Probably not "in a few days", though. Hopefully before a full year has passed. Maybe...  :-[
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
You really shouldn't trust me. For example, I promised Raptori that I would look into something and then write him a PM (in a few days). This was about six months ago, and I still haven't written him.  ::) ;D   I wonder if he still remembers?
Raptoris always remember.  8)
I will write that PM, one day. Probably not "in a few days", though. Hopefully before a full year has passed. Maybe...  :-[
Raptoris have learned patience.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
I think I'm going to stick to my love of just how much I love little red riding hood and her Wolf, and retell that story in a creepy way, entirely from the wolf's pov.
It's 1am, my eyes hurt I'm so tired, but I'm already several hundred words into that story typed on my phone. It's gonna be a good one.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
No one answered if they think it would be alright for me to do Peter Pan. :(

As it's not strictly a fairy tale.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
In my opinion, it fits.
Master @xiagan, what do you think?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Not sure if it is a fairy tale (a modern one, probably) but I want to see it, so go for it. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Cheers me-dears, that's all I need.  8)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
For anyone like me who isn't terribly well grounded in one's fairy tales, or is looking for inspiration, this link might be useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fairy_tales

@xiagan there is a huge international list here of fairy tales, from so many countries. Is it acceptable to choose from here and if it is not a very famiiar one just to refer back to this for the source story?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
For anyone like me who isn't terribly well grounded in one's fairy tales, or is looking for inspiration, this link might be useful

@xiagan there is a huge international list here of fairy tales, from so many countries. Is it acceptable to choose from here and if it is not a very familiar one just to refer back to this for the source story?
I think the fun with this theme is twisting something familiar. If one chooses a cool story nobody knows and alters it, that fun is gone (and so may the votes). So while I'm usually opposed to restricting these contests more than absolutely necessary, I don't think being allowed to choose any story from that list is something that helps the theme.

But since I already okayed Peter Pan, I'll open the field to other "modern fairytales". Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile

@xiagan there is a huge international list here of fairy tales, from so many countries. Is it acceptable to choose from here and if it is not a very familiar one just to refer back to this for the source story?
I think the fun with this theme is twisting something familiar. If one chooses a cool story nobody knows and alters it, that fun is gone (and so may the votes). So while I'm usually opposed to restricting these contests more than absolutely necessary, I don't think being allowed to choose any story from that list is something that helps the theme.

But since I already okayed Peter Pan, I'll open the field to other "modern fairytales". Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh, The Wind in the Willows...
Thanks that's fair enough, there were rather a lot.  Asked because I saw one that went ping, but will think more. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
I guess it's just a bit harder for strangers, who might have well known fairy tales they grew up with that won't be familiar to english speakers, like donkey skin for francophones. But I guess it's the same for english speakers, if your tale is not international enough, the votes might go someplace else...

Not complaining at all though, I'm already 600 words into my Red Riding Hood rehash  ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Well. There goes my epic version of 'the giant who had no heart in his body' despite it being my favourite fairy tale from my childhood  :P

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Well. There goes my epic version of 'the giant who had no heart in his body' despite it being my favourite fairy tale from my childhood  :P

What's the name in french? Doesn't even ring any bell to me.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile

I'm not sure whether it's well-known in the french regions.
It's originally a Norwegian fairytale.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Who_Had_No_Heart_in_His_Body

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile

I'm not sure whether it's well-known in the french regions.
It's originally a Norwegian fairytale.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Who_Had_No_Heart_in_His_Body

My favorite comes from arabian countries, or ancient egypt or india? Can't remember. About a king who dies and needs to travel through the dangerous mountains of the afterlife until he reaches the gate of heaven. On his way he meets a dog, lonely and famished, and shares his food and shelter with him. In exchange the dog defends him from mountain lions and wolves, and the two become fast friends. Arriving at the doors of heaven, the king is told he can enter, but the dog cannot.
The king pleads, says he is his friend, but is refused. So he decides not to enter, he won't abandon his friend to starvation. Then the dog turns into a genie, since it was all a test of the man's character.  ::)