November 16, 2018, 06:17:12 PM

Author Topic: [May 2016] - Well known fairy tales from a different POV - Discussion Thread  (Read 13422 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Well known fairy tales from a different POV

Snow, Glass, Apples by Exsanguini

We know those stories by heart - but only from the hero's POV. Did you ever think about the motivation and justification the big bad wolf had for eating Red Riding Hood's Grandma? Maybe he was the good guy and we got it all wrong? Remember, the winners write history and they never picture themselves as the bad guys...

For inspiration I recommend one of Neil Gaiman's best shorts: Snow, Glass, Apples from his short story collection "Smoke and Mirrors". Another, more funny, example is the movie Hoodwinked!

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. This must be a retelling of a well known fairy tale.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

Entry will close May 31st/June 1st, 2016 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:31:04 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Hmm? I'm getting absolutely no ideas straight away.  :-\
Might skip this one.

It's a good theme, though. I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting stories to read at the end of the month.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Might skip this one.
Pfff, it's only the morning of the 1st!
I'm pretty sure you'll get a good idea, I trust you 8)

For example: tell me the reason why the witch (old lady?) built a house made of sweets and kept killing children, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Might skip this one.
Pfff, it's only the morning of the 1st!
I'm pretty sure you'll get a good idea, I trust you 8)
You really shouldn't trust me. For example, I promised Raptori that I would look into something and then write him a PM (in a few days). This was about six months ago, and I still haven't written him.  ::) ;D   I wonder if he still remembers?

For example: tell me the reason why the witch (old lady?) built a house made of sweets and kept killing children, hehe
She's evil? That's kind of self-evident. Diabetes? No, that doesn't really work. Well, maybe... No, I got nothing.

We'll see, I guess.  ;)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
New subject, time to find a fairy tale first though.
Someone promised me herbal lore though  :'(  :P

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Oh boy, there are so so so so many alternate and amazing re imaginings of fairy tales now, seriously its almost like there's a glut of them in the market honestly :P

Gonna be very tricky to come up with something that hasn't already been published in numerous forms (poetry, graphic novel, short story, novel etc)

I do have an idea though, but its not really a 'fairy tale' technically? How do we feel about Peter Pan...

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
Too bad we had 'Well Known' as one of the specifications. Otherwise, we could've had some fun trying different twists on our Fairy Tales from last May's contest.

Ah well, I've already got a decent idea already. It's nice to have a topic where a good idea just hits you straight from go. Probably won't have time to work on it for a while though, since I'm busy for the next two weeks.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Too bad we had 'Well Known' as one of the specifications. Otherwise, we could've had some fun trying different twists on our Fairy Tales from last May's contest.

Ah well, I've already got a decent idea already. It's nice to have a topic where a good idea just hits you straight from go. Probably won't have time to work on it for a while though, since I'm busy for the next two weeks.

I read this topic and thought: Here goes Rukaio! I'm looking for something from you this month that tops even your funniest stuff so far!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Does this include the mythology they were inspired from? Or just the Disney-like or grim versions of the tales?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Does this include the mythology they were inspired from? Or just the Disney-like or grim versions of the tales?

I think, if it has a grim and a Disney version, then it is a well known tale, and so long as people can "recognize" it, which version you derive from shouldn't matter.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
You really shouldn't trust me. For example, I promised Raptori that I would look into something and then write him a PM (in a few days). This was about six months ago, and I still haven't written him.  ::) ;D   I wonder if he still remembers?
Raptoris always remember.  8)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Peat

For anyone like me who isn't terribly well grounded in one's fairy tales, or is looking for inspiration, this link might be useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fairy_tales

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Whew! What a topic!

Creepy looking picture reads "here goes all my best intentions for happy endings".

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
One day you will shock us all @Nora with a sneaky romantic happy ending just to show you can  :o :o
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Hedin

That picture reminds me of the original art in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.