June 24, 2019, 07:10:11 PM

Author Topic: The Magicians - Week 3  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
The Magicians - Week 3
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
So, this week we had the Quentin/Janet fiasco  :'( Poor Alice and dumbass Quentin. It's like he didn't brood enough any more so had to be a complete dick and ruin the one really good thing in his life.

And then Fillory! What do people think of that?  I think we were left with the crew following a walking tree :)

I enjoy Fillory, but honestly, it was not my favorite part of the book. I also never felt felt the Watcherwoman seemed as ominous as the characters in the book did. I guess because I hadn't read the Fillory books like the characters.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: The Magicians - Week 3
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:09:47 PM »
So, this week we had the Quentin/Janet fiasco  :'( Poor Alice and dumbass Quentin. It's like he didn't brood enough any more so had to be a complete dick and ruin the one really good thing in his life.
It had to happen but it was so stupid. Poor Alice. ;( And poor Penny for being brought into it.

I know their drifting and boozing was necessary for some things to happen but I hated it.
Magicians could do so many good things in this fucked up world so I absolutely don't understand why they aren't teaching them how to find a purpose in life. Are all magicians a bunch of self-centered assholes?

And then Fillory! What do people think of that?  I think we were left with the crew following a walking tree :)
Another thing that had to happen. Loved it. :) I discovered yesterday that the German translation is called 'Fillory' and as subtitle 'Die Zauberer' (The Magicians). So much for the spoilery title of that chapter...  ::)

I enjoy Fillory, but honestly, it was not my favorite part of the book. I also never felt the Watcherwoman seemed as ominous as the characters in the book did. I guess because I hadn't read the Fillory books like the characters.
Yep. We never saw something the Watcherwoman did, so there was no feeling of danger or imminent doom.
Fillory itself has a more nightmarish than a "land of your dreams"-feel somehow.

That's a fast paced book. There happens so much every week, you could make an extra novel out of it. ;) I'm glad Grossman didn't, though.

And we finally know what Penny's discipline is. Cool. :) But we still don't know what Quentin's is...
Penny dropped out, so he doesn't have a demon. He has his own tattoo, though, so maybe that can do stuff too?

The Neitherlands are an interesting place and I like that Welters may have something to do with them.

Really curious to find out what Janet's allergy to the Neitherlands is...

The time difference between Fillory and the rest is kind of cool. That means of course that there are worlds that work the other way round - we know them from the Irish myths about people who were away for a night but gone a hundred years in our time.

Do you think they'll meet the Paramedic in Fillory? She has something to do with the last Fillory book "The Magicians", so it's quite likely, don't you think?

What happened to Julia? We'll find out later I hope (but probably not before book two).

The thing with the demons on their backs was unexpected and weird/cool. Can every magician do this? Can they get another one when they used the first one?

So how did Q graduate? He wanted to fly to the moon but it didn't work.

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
I actually have read the whole series now so have all those answers but SPOILERS! Anyhow.  Doesn't really matter of you have read Filliroy or not, essentially it is Narnia.  And anyone who has grown up having read those books as a kid will have sheepish memories of tapping the backs of wardrobes etc hoping to find a portal to another world.  And dreamed endlessly of visiting Narnia. So the excitement of being in Filliroy felt very real to me.

I was actually quite amused by the whole not having a career path planned for magicians. I wonder if it was a rather affectionate dig at the Harry Potter books, where when you really think about it - the future lives out of Hogwarts for graduating students are rather vague and ill defined. (So basically everyone ends up working for the Ministry of Magic? And how the hell do wizards work as a functioning member of society having not studied English, Maths or Science since Primary School?)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
Hmm, yes. Quentin reveals further idiocy, and seems determined to screw up everything that might be good.

I still find him reasonably sympathetic, because it feels like he's screwing up in believable ways. He's no hero. He's just trying to get by, and sabotaging himself because he's a fool, like the rest of us.

And they also go to Fillory, which feels like a real change in the reality-level of the book, even though it was always on the cards. I don't quite know what to make of this, yet. It's clear that they don't know what they're getting in to.

I'm still enjoying it, and hope to read the rest of the series before too long.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:12:59 PM »
Doesn't really matter of you have read Filliroy or not, essentially it is Narnia.  And anyone who has grown up having read those books as a kid will have sheepish memories of tapping the backs of wardrobes etc hoping to find a portal to another world.  And dreamed endlessly of visiting Narnia. So the excitement of being in Filliroy felt very real to me.

Not all of us read Narnia though, or well, at least I haven't.

I was actually quite amused by the whole not having a career path planned for magicians. I wonder if it was a rather affectionate dig at the Harry Potter books, where when you really think about it - the future lives out of Hogwarts for graduating students are rather vague and ill defined. (So basically everyone ends up working for the Ministry of Magic? And how the hell do wizards work as a functioning member of society having not studied English, Maths or Science since Primary School?)

I actually quite liked that as well. It's like they are just setting this kids up for feeling unfulfilled in life to have this grand magic school experience, and then they land back in the mundane world without much direction on how to really be a part of normal society.

Hmm, yes. Quentin reveals further idiocy, and seems determined to screw up everything that might be good.
Yes, Quentin is incredibly good at dooming himself so he continues to have reasons to feel discontent. But I still like him, just can't help myself.

know their drifting and boozing was necessary for some things to happen but I hated it.
Magicians could do so many good things in this fucked up world so I absolutely don't understand why they aren't teaching them how to find a purpose in life. Are all magicians a bunch of self-centered assholes?
Probably :)

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:45:57 PM »
Read Narnia now with your boys. Start with the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. You won't regret it.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jeni

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
Fallen a bit behind this week...

I've been reading this section in small snippets which hasn't helped as I found it dragged a bit, but the pace seemed to pick up once Penny turned up.

The decision to find Fillory and move out of town to make that easier all happened quickly, but there seemed to be a lot of pointless faffing about after that. I would have had a rucksack packed and been ready for the off the minute I stepped out of the portal! 

Quite excited to see what Fillory has to offer now they have finally got there.  :D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
Just finished "week 3" during week 2 of the next month. Oh well.  ???

I keep thinking that Grossman's concept is: "What if real people came to Narnia?" And "How much reality of character can a fantasy stand and still be engrossing?"

Anyway, I find the Clock Trees and the Watcherwoman to be creepy, mainly because the characters do. But also because clocks growing on trees is sort of creepy.

I suspect Janet's reaction to Neitherlands will never be explained. Grossman likes things to have a bit gnostic. If everything made sense to us, then Magic wouldn't be as big and hairy as it actually is.

As to the kids being unprepared for life after school, it made complete sense to me. My dad went to a pretty decent private university, and says he came out prepared for absolutely nothing in the real world. Having a wife and son (my brother) and no magic powers certainly focused his attention! I can see how these guys would fall apart for a while. The question would be when at least some of them would break off and grow up.

As to Fillory, I'm enjoying how it refuses to satisfy our expectations, just as the rest of the book refuses to.

On to "week 4"!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com