September 29, 2020, 11:20:37 AM

Author Topic: The Magicians - First Impressions  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
The Magicians - First Impressions
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »
This is a thread for first impressions, a place to share your very initial thoughts when you sit down to read. This should be spoiler free. If there is something spoilerish you just really want to comment about right at the beginning, just be sure to use spoiler tags. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jeni

Re: The Magicians - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
I've read the first couple of chapters and so far I'm enjoying it  :D

For some reason I always thought the 'Magicians' in this book were the tricks and illusions stage performing types and there would be little or no magical magic .... very happy to find I was mistaken!   :D :D

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
I've read the first couple of chapters and so far I'm enjoying it  :D

For some reason I always thought the 'Magicians' in this book were the tricks and illusions stage performing types and there would be little or no magical magic .... very happy to find I was mistaken!   :D :D

Yay!! I know you've been leery of this one since its first nomination (probably 3 years ago!). :) Hope it keeps going week for you.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline AvalonSing

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
This is my first time reading the book, and my first impressions are that I am constantly frustrated with Quentin and his lack of will to do anything.  As a protagonist, he kinda stinks.  I feel that he is reliant on others to continue his story arc.  Additionally, I find myself questioning why on earth
Spoiler for Hiden:
he is given over to be this great magician worthy of advancement with Penny and Alice.  They clearly have skill, he does not.  So what gives?
  I'm intrigued to learn more about this mysterious paramedic and her role in the story.
"I will unite instead of divide, Stormfather. I will bring men together."

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »
I am finding it a little bit slow paced so far, although I am enjoying it and I am intrigued to find out how the story progresses.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:13:10 PM by Vagabond »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »
Enjoying it so far! It's funny to see Harry Potter references in there.  :D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:50:46 AM »
I finally started this morning. I'm 8% in (yeah, kindle :)) and I like it a lot so far. I don't really see where it's going to go.

Offline Ender

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:16 AM »
My first impression is that I don't particularly like Quentin.  This is fine.  So long as the story doesn't hinge on me being sympathetic towards him later on when he has been somewhat douchy the whole time.  The story itself is interesting enough.  The school being the most interesting.  I like the form of practical magic they learn at Brakebills.  I really like how magic is presented so far as something that is dangerous and still a mystery in some ways even to the teachers.  Kind of hard not to think of Harry Potter in the beginning, but it also sort of reminded me of Looking for Alaska.