September 20, 2019, 02:57:14 AM

Author Topic: The Magicians by Lev Grossman - Who's reading with us?  (Read 4973 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
The Magicians by Lev Grossman - Who's reading with us?
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:29:28 PM »
Our May book will be The Magician's by Lev Grossman. This one has been on the poll a number of times, and I think it should make for good discussions, so I hope people join in!

Apologies for the short notice, our schedule has shifted, and voting ended late. Pretty much, I should have gotten this set before now, but here it is:

Like everyone else, precocious high school senior Quentin Coldwater assumes that magic isn't real, until he finds himself admitted to a very secretive and exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. There he indulges in joys of college-friendship, love, sex, and booze- and receives a rigorous education in modern sorcery. But magic doesn't bring the happiness and adventure Quentin thought it would. After graduation, he and his friends stumble upon a secret that sets them on a remarkable journey that may just fulfill Quentin's yearning. But their journey turns out to be darker and more dangerous than they'd imagined. Psychologically piercing and dazzlingly inventive, The Magicians, the prequel to the New York Times bestselling book The Magician King and the #1 bestseller The Magician's Land, is an enthralling coming-of-age tale about magic practiced in the real world-where good and evil aren't black and white, and power comes at a terrible price.

here's the breakdown, instead of saying read chapter X through chapter Y I am telling you what chapter to stop reading when you see the title. So for Week 1, do not read 'The Beast' chapter, that will be the first chapter for the next week's discussion. It just seems like an easier way to mark where to stop. If anyone disagrees, or finds it confusing or backwards feel free to speak up. I'm happy to change it somehow.

Thanks!

Week 1:Stop reading when you see "The Beast".
Week 2: Stop reading when you see "Graduation"
Week 3: Stop reading when you see "Humbledrum"
Week 4: Finish

So, who's reading with us?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:17:14 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians by Lev Grossman - Who's reading with us?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »
I am. Been meaning to reread this for a while as want to read the sequels but been such a long time since I read Magicians, I probably need to refresh on it, before reading them.

Also I remember it being bloody brIlliant. Brett Easton Ellis does Hogwarts meets Narnia. (Also one of the genuinely most creepy scenes I have ever read, and one of the most beautiful as well.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
YES. I can't wait to reread this now. I have never gotten around to the sequels as it's so long since I read this one but I'm delighted it finally won. Have lost track of the number of times I've nominated and/or voted for this over the last few years.  :D

(Also one of the genuinely most creepy scenes I have ever read

Yup! It's stuck with me as one of the most skin-crawling moments I've ever read.
Make Another World.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:08:13 PM »
Oooohhh. We can do readalongs for the sequels too! (Not quite Malazan but along with the Tiffany Aching complete readalong will keep you kinda busy.)
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
Oooohhh. We can do readalongs for the sequels too! (Not quite Malazan but along with the Tiffany Aching complete readalong will keep you kinda busy.)

The Magicians trilogy + the 4 Tiffany Aching books is like...one Malazan novel, so you're right there!  :P
Make Another World.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
Totally in. My daughter says she loves and hates this book at the same time. Sounds interesting  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:03:42 AM »
It's on my physical TBR for ages, so I don't see what should prevent me from joining! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »
I am in. I have had my eye on this one for a while to. Not taken part in bookclub so far this year for various reasons, so I am definitely taking part in this one.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
I think I might try to join in with this one, since I accidentally have two copies of this, and have been meaning to read it for some time. It will probably be a while before I start, though.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:43 PM »
I think I might try to join in with this one, since I accidentally have two copies of this, and have been meaning to read it for some time. It will probably be a while before I start, though.

Sounds great! Happy to have you join in whenever you get to it :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 08:05:19 PM »
But... how do you decide which copy to read? ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jeni

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
Picked this up from the library a couple of days ago, so I'm gonna give it a go - even though its one that has never particularly appealed to me.  I'm really hoping its not going to turn out to be as bad as Nights at the Circus!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »
Does anyone know the page/chapter breaks for the weekly discussions for this one? I'm still reading The Wee Free Men - struggling so badly for time right now as in final month of my degree now! - but I really want to make sure I keep up with this one as been dying to reread it for a long time.
Make Another World.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »
I used my library for both my original read and my re-read of it last year. When I went to get a copy this time, there's a wait list for some reason, so if someone else could post chapters for the discussion, that would be great as my requested copy is not in yet.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:46:59 PM »
Cool - I'm working off a hardback copy, so apologies if the page nos dont match up. The book doesn't have chapter nos, just chapter names. I can post up the chapter names if needed - just didn't know if they might be a bit spoilery...

Week 1: p.1 - p.107
Week 2: P.107 - p.207
Week 3: p.207 - p.302
Week 4: p.302 - p.402
Make Another World.