March 01, 2021, 04:42:54 AM

Author Topic: [May 2015] - Fairytales - Voting Thread  (Read 18778 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Re: [May 2015] - Fairytales - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
I can totally sympathize.

On the other hand were there more than one or two months with likes? It's not like we had the like system for long before we abolished it in the contest threads. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 04:32:12 PM »
I can totally sympathize.

On the other hand were there more than one or two months with likes? It's not like we had the like system for long before we abolished it in the contest threads. ;)
Huh. That's a point. I'd almost forgotten that I only joined a few weeks before you installed the likes system (and I frequent another forum with likes), so I'm more used to it than others might be. But I still stand by my point that it's more interesting with them than without.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
I enjoyed seeing how people were reacting to certain stories as they were being released. It's just not the same waiting for the votes to be released all at once with only the briefest time to take it all in. Plus you get an interesting comparison of what level people are willing to like a story and what level they're willing to vote for it.

Oh well, each has their own opinion, we all talked about this when xia was deciding whether to keep the likes in this section or not :)

I, for example, never read the stories 'as they're being released', I only read them from halfway through voting month.

As for comparison between likes and voting: I score each story 1 to 5 (plus halves, if I can't decide), based on how I like the story (personal opinion), how related it is to the theme, sentence flowing, grammar, spelling, etc. If there were likes, I'd probably 'like' the ones I voted 4 and 5. Usually I only have to decide between 2 stories for the last vote, so the difference isn't that bad.
This month I got three 5, two 4.5 (the ones I had to decide), three 4, five 3.5, one 3, one 2 and two 2.
Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the effort of everyone, but it's a vote.

I only joined a few weeks before you installed the likes system
Really? You seem to have been around a long long time :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:34:22 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
I opened a poll about it. Make your case there and vote! :)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 01:53:08 AM »
Yeah, I agree with Rukaio, and could testify with my own example.

I started here in march so had only ever experienced it with likes, and the very month of March, with the Rogue story, was a perfect illustration of how likes and votes can differ, with my own story :

Mine had 6 likes, being one of the most liked story, but ended with 4 votes, far behind N°1 with his 10 votes, the second had 8, the third 7, then there were two 6, four 5, and with 4 votes I was equal to 3 other stories!
If likes reflected votes, I would have made it to the top 3 or 4 no? And in the end, far from it!

Because people must have read my story and gone "Ooh, that's a cool little piece", liked it, and then read the others, and realised they were far more fitting to the theme, or their own taste, ect. People didn't get stuck to their own likes.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 02:43:56 PM »
Ooooh less than 24 hours!
Has everyone voted yet?

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
[May 2015] - Fairytales - Voting Thread
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »
Twenty votes so far!

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
Congratulations, @Jmack! It was a lovely story.  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:28 PM »
Yay John *dances* :D

It seems all our predictions from yesterday were wrong ;D

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
Congrats @Jmack:D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »
Grats @Jmack! A sound victory.
Now we're all off to the critique thread  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
Side Note:

20 people voted: this means there should have been 80 individual votes, yet we only have 66.
Only 6 people used their full votes - 30%.
 >:(

And yet people want to include 'likes' :-\

Edit: I no longer believe that, after all the explanations
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:45:00 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
Side Note:

20 people voted: this means there should have been 80 individual votes, yet we only have 66.

What do you mean by "include" likes?
I want likes back but don't see the correlation? I used all my votes.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
Side Note:

I voted for four this time, but usually if there are a couple which I think stand out I'll vote for them and no others. Likes are less important, so I'd give those out more liberally, because while I think a couple stand out that doesn't mean that I didn't like any of the other stories... For example, did only one person like our story (only just noticed that @xiagan didn't put Saurus there  >:( ) and everyone else think it was crap, or did people enjoy it but feel that others were better? Likes would allow that kind of thing to be expressed more easily.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:46:44 PM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
Side Note:

I voted for four this time, but usually if there are a couple which I think stand out I'll vote for them and no others. Likes are less important, so I'd give those out more liberally, because while I think a couple stand out that doesn't mean that I didn't like any of the other stories... For example, did only one person like our story (only just noticed that @xiagan didn't put Saurus there  >:( ) and everyone else think it was crap, or did people enjoy it but feel that others were better? Likes would allow that kind of thing to be expressed more easily.

As your fellow 1-vote-story writer, I do agree. In my case too the story was pretty "out of theme" and not a fairy tale as others wrote, and the absence of likes kinds of deprives me completely of any idea of what people thought of it anyway, besides the moment where they had to vote for their favourite "fairytale" and might have considered me out of the theme... But well, one could argue against us that this can be addressed in the critique thread, but it's not the same as likes.