March 01, 2021, 03:56:04 AM

Author Topic: [May 2015] - Fairytales - Voting Thread  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [May 2015] - Fairytales - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 04:11:06 AM »
Voted at long freaking last!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
I still have a few to read, but there are still 6 7.5 days left (it only ends July 2 lunch time)

Edit Saturday: ta da!
Voted :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 03:59:12 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 02:37:31 AM »
Away from home for a while but had to drop in and vote. Thank you to all our wonderful writers, I love traditional fairytales but also the twisted ones. So many to  either smile gently or ROFL about. ;D Made hard choice, look forward to seeing result. BTW Thinking of you @Nora you can't wait in patience  for the monthly contest results - how on earth are you going to manage waiting for Tor ? Good luck in both  ;D
Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 02:42:32 AM »
Away from home for a while but had to drop in and vote. Thank you to all our wonderful writers, I love traditional fairytales but also the twisted ones. So many to  either smile gently or ROFL about. ;D Made hard choice, look forward to seeing result. BTW Thinking of you @Nora you can't wait in patience  for the monthly contest results - how on earth are you going to manage waiting for Tor ? Good luck in both  ;D

Oh it's ok, the monthly contests hopefully will help me channel my impatience, and after 2 or 3 months I reckon I'll forget about that damn submission. Also, now that it's submitted I see heaps of faults with it (typical) so I'm trying to just ignore it all.
Besides, if they turn me down at the first reading, it'll be a rather short wait, they say that a 4 months wait is meaning you're probably in the second reading pile (by senior editors) so more than 4 months wait seems like a compliment. It's one case where waiting is actually a good sign, so you know... why not! T_T

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it. It'd be such a massive achievement (still quite unlikely I suppose) to get my first ever publication in tor seriously...  ;D ::)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
Fifteen votes so far!
And one story managed to get two thirds of them. But which?  ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
You are evil >:( curiosity doesn't kill just the cat, me too ;D

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »

I actually like it better when everyone gets a couple of votes. Just because every story deserves a vote :3

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:30 AM »
Agreed.  :P

I actually like it better when everyone gets a couple of votes. Just because every story deserves a vote :3
That can still happen I think, since everyone gets multiple votes.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
Fifteen votes so far!

Precisely why I don't like it so much without the likes. Got no idea which is popular and I miss it.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »
Fifteen votes so far!

Precisely why I don't like it so much without the likes. Got no idea which is popular and I miss it.
@xiagan likes to tease us with his superior knowledge...  >:(
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Fifteen votes so far!

Won't you know which story is popular when the poll ends?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »

Exactly.
You're not going to vote for something yourself just because it's popular with other people, are you?

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
Just voted and I've used all my votes this month
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »

Exactly.
You're not going to vote for something yourself just because it's popular with other people, are you?

No. Not at all. Why would I? It was interesting to see what others found very good, as sometimes I didn't share their opinion. I never got the argument that people would vote for stories that had lots of likes?
It's not like we're in a physical group were we see everyone physically voting en masse for a story and get some sort of pressure from it. We're all behind our computers, we're all able to make our own mind quietly and privately.
Likes made things dynamic. I'd come back when someone posted something new and look around how stories did in their likes. Gave a vague idea, but honestly didn't see it reflect this much on results.
Yes I'll know when it ends, but I don't like being completely in the dark and the disappearance of that dynamic in the thread. To me it just feels like a lot less is going on.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 03:19:15 PM »
I'll admit, I'm with Nora on this one. It feels like something is missing since the likes have gone. I enjoyed seeing how people were reacting to certain stories as they were being released. It's just not the same waiting for the votes to be released all at once with only the briefest time to take it all in. Plus you get an interesting comparison of what level people are willing to like a story and what level they're willing to vote for it.

And, honestly, I question the idea that likes influence votes. I think you're confusing correlation and causation there. Surely it's much more likely that, rather than people seeing the likes and being influenced to vote, the reason the winners have so many likes is because... well... people really like them and want to both vote and like the post. And even then, likes=votes is not a sure science. There are a number of entries just in the last few months which have either higher votes than likes or vice-versa (sometimes significantly). And I know that, when I'm reading a story for the first time, I rarely pay attention to the likes it has (after all, I usually read them when they're first released before many people have had a chance to like them) and form my own opinions regardless. And I don't think that's uncommon here.

Admittedly, it may just be because I'm a massive likes whore that I want likes back so badly (seriously, I have a higher likes count than post count), but I still think the contest is missing a part of itself without them.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>